IGNORED

Has your fuel pump ever failed?

Hey Guys.

I have 47K on my 2000 RSV. Was wondering if anyone had a fuel pump fail and, at 9.5 years old, how long I could expect mine to last.

I don't have any issues yet, but was thinking about picking up a lightly used pump from a newer, low mileage bike and stowing it (along with a spare coil and maybe ignition switch, Ha!) for some breakdown insurance when I take long trips.

Any histories/war stories on nuisance/premature pump failures on 2nd Gens?

Thanks.

I don't believe I've ever heard of a fuel pump going bad but I'm sure it has. Anything mechanical is going to have some problems. The coils are very rare also but as you will notice in a thread going on elsewhere it does happen.

And of course there are several people that have had problems with ignition switch problems.

I don't carry any more junk than I have to on trips and so far "knock on wood".

I do carry the information for how the ignition switch can be bypassed just in case that were to happen.

Good Luck and Happy riding,

BOO

My fuel pump petered out around 36k, and was replaced under warranty.

All I can say is if you have a chance to pick up some slightly used items such as you mentioned and the price appears to be right in your eyes, then I surely would since your bike is out of it's warranty period..

[

I do carry the information for how the ignition switch can be bypassed just in case that were to happen.

Good Luck and Happy riding,

BOO

Good point.

I found that procedure and printed it out. Now, if I can only find where I put it.:doh:

Thanks guys.

I plan on keeping this ride for many years, so I pick up some spare stuff from time to time.

Time for a trip to Pinwall's store on ebay. They have tons of Venture stuff. Already got some stuff from them and have been satisfied.

Ok, I've got about 50,000 miles on my Venture, and my fuel pump failed today. I pulled the cover off the side and the pump was so hot I couldn't touch it. After it cooled a bit I pulled it out and removed the out fuel line, keyed it on and it would only burp a bit. I sat on the side of the road and let it cool off, then keyed it on again and tapped it with the wrench and it started working again. The bike ran fine the rest of the day and at the end of the ride, I pulled the cover off again and the pump was cool to the touch. Has anyone on this site rebuilt a fuel pump? Will this bike run without one, say if you just bypassed the pump and tied the fuel lines together? Maybe even just used a generic pump to get home?

My fuel pump died last week (2006 RSTD 53k miles). Will be replaced under warranty.

But while I wait,,, I got to ride.

Yes you can bypass the filter/pump and gravity feed, and do this in 15 minutes.

So, pull the seat, pull the line going from tank to the fuel filter, and relocate it to

the carburetor input. I did have to remove the seat tank bolt to be able to lift the tank enough to get a needle nose on the clamp to the carb line.

With this, I did disconnect power to the fuel pump, as it was trying to spit some remaining fuel. I also spent $5 and put an in-line filter, 3" hose and two clamps.

I put it right off the petcock. When the shop replaces it this week, they can just put it back together seeing how I didn't do any chop work. Be sure you don't have loose gas dripping from any unhooked hoses.

So you know, the fuel pump & filter are NOT under the tank, found that out.

The pump is in the left side cover by the fuse box, it's electrical plug is right under the fuse box. And the filter is just in front of the battery.

I've been riding it on gravity feed for a few days now, and yes, keeping the fuel level above 1/4 tank. I don't think I would know the difference. PS: the shop said Yamaha sells this Mitsubishi part for $250,,, thanks for the 5 year warranty.

It's really nice to know you can do this in a pinch. Next time you pull the seat you may want to look at the hoses, wiggle the one from the tank so you know where it is. Then if you are out in the boonies, with just regular tools you can drive off with out the pump.

Great! Thanks for the reply. I was just going to bypass the pump with a loop of fuel line, the next time it failed, but your way is more direct! Its good to know I won't be stuck on the road with a burnt up fuel pump!

My fuel pump died last week (2006 RSTD 53k miles). Will be replaced under warranty.

But while I wait,,, I got to ride.

Yes you can bypass the filter/pump and gravity feed, and do this in 15 minutes.

So, pull the seat, pull the line going from tank to the fuel filter, and relocate it to

the carburetor input. I did have to remove the seat tank bolt to be able to lift the tank enough to get a needle nose on the clamp to the carb line.

With this, I did disconnect power to the fuel pump, as it was trying to spit some remaining fuel. I also spent $5 and put an in-line filter, 3" hose and two clamps.

I put it right off the petcock. When the shop replaces it this week, they can just put it back together seeing how I didn't do any chop work. Be sure you don't have loose gas dripping from any unhooked hoses.

So you know, the fuel pump & filter are NOT under the tank, found that out.

The pump is in the left side cover by the fuse box, it's electrical plug is right under the fuse box. And the filter is just in front of the battery.

I've been riding it on gravity feed for a few days now, and yes, keeping the fuel level above 1/4 tank. I don't think I would know the difference. PS: the shop said Yamaha sells this Mitsubishi part for $250,,, thanks for the 5 year warranty.

It's really nice to know you can do this in a pinch. Next time you pull the seat you may want to look at the hoses, wiggle the one from the tank so you know where it is. Then if you are out in the boonies, with just regular tools you can drive off with out the pump.

Sounds like a good emergency plan.

I'm printing this one out and sticking it in my books in the shop. I keep clamps and extra hose in my bike. I have a spare fuel filter too. All I needed was your neat write-up of what you did and that the bike would run on gravity feed.

Thanks.