IGNORED

Harleys No Mas

MasterGuns

Not too long ago, I became affected by some sort of a dumb bug and thought I'd rather ride a Harley. So, I sold my 88 VR and added lots of dollars to that and bought a really nice Ultra Classic. After spending several thousand bucks in chrome and other goodies, I just couldn't forget my sweet 88 that I had darn near brought it back to a pristine conditiion both in appearance and performance. I sure do miss riding and owning a first edition. I even test rode a couple second editions and found their appearance to be too much like a harley wantabe (not in performance nor reliability) but looks was enough to turn me off. So, in a couple of hours I am heading out to pick up an 86 Venture Royale that has just been de-moth balled after 13 years in storage and has less than 25k original miles. Has had all the fluids changed, new battery, new tires, carbs gone through and according to the seller, runs and looks like the day it was made. All electronics work and the pics are awesome. If everything the owner is telling me is right on, I hope to come back with a replacement for my lost baby, where ever she is now. I will never be disloyal again. I AM ALMOST BACK. LOOK OUT. More to follow.:173::173:

I hope it works out well with the bike youre looking at, it will be good to have you back on the G1 side of things....lol!

But you cant have your tires back.....heheh but I do have a couple with some wear on that you can have cheap!

Brian

yes add me too, ive had an 84, 93, thought a new 2nd gen would be nice, 07, just didnt like it, didnt like the forward controls, or the lack of performance, what a diservice was done to the motor, bought an new fj 08, just not comfortable enough, but great bike. Couldnt find a resonable 86 and up, found an 83, with 9700 miles, been stored well since 01, got a progressive shock, springs, fork bearings, special washer, seals, brakes, and more, hope it isnt a total rebuild, if its an ok bike, who knows how long i might keep it.

Hey Herb,

I followed the saga of you selling your First Gen. and then selling off all the extra parts. (we chatted about your extra seat) I knew that musta' been hard for ya', It's good to see ya' back! I hope that 86'VR turns out to be all that the owner says it is!:thumbsup2:

Earl

Last weekend ten of us road to Millegeville, Ga for an event. There were two Harley's in the group a new one and an older one. On the way back we spent most of the trip stopping picking up lost harley parts and reinstalling them, pushing them out of the road, pushing down hills to jump them off, pulling them with extention cords to jump them off. No kidding we had to stop about twenty five times over a 100 mile trip.

It would have been a great comedy routine if it wasn't so much of a pain in the a**.

Later that night I ran into a buddy who happens to be a Flat bed wrecker driver and a Harley owner. When I saw him he had his Harley on his wrecker. Won't crank. So I'm gonna help figure out what the problem is.

Sorry, All you Harley Owners, But there is not force on earth that could make me own a Harleyand give up my 1st Gen.

Sunday I went for a ride and pulled into a store where a guy was working on a newish looking HD. I stepped up to see if he had any tools and he had some, so I asked if he was ok. He stated it would not start when he came back out of the store as it was dead. He had already been to Auto Zone and picked up a new battery. I told him if that did not fix his problem, I had an ohm/volt meter and would help him troubleshoot. I noticed a few minutes later he was buttoning it up and started it up. He made a point to come into the store to thank me for offering my help.

This was probably more of a battery shorting out internally than a Harley problem, but he did appreciate me offering to help.

RandyA

Glad to hear you found another 1st Gen. You know where to find me if you need something. I do understand the other bike. I get the itch to get something different once in a while. However, the 1986 just keeps pulling me back.

On lighter note, I spend a lot of time riding with my cousin now. He has a 2008 Electra-Glide. Although I can dust him when I want to, I will say we have run thousands of miles now side by side and that Harley hasn't missed a beat. Out on the highway, I think that his 6th gear is better than my 5th. He pulls about 4-5 mpg better on the highway. We get a lot of looks pulling up to his favorite watering holes! I am often the only non-Harley in the place. But, the commonality of 2 wheels always prevails.

V-4s unite!

JB

Herb: glad to hear you found a replacment! I just comlpeted a 2500 mile trip with 2 wings and a ultra classic HD. My 88 VR and the others ran like jewels and all did about the same on fuel use. the mech problems we encountered were

88 VR steering head brgs started binding ,,but trip was completed no problem

1993 1500 wing ,,nothing other than slightly lower fuel milage

2004 1800 : after 1500 miles lost headlamp,due to short in 4 way flasher control unit.No problem he now was placed in the middle of the pack.

2003 Ultra classic lost cruise control,, dont know why yet.

The bike listed all got between 38 and 42 mpg as we all ran in a group. We all suffered poor mileage heading into20 to 40 mph head winds.

We have made long trips with the HD before and he runs with us just fine,, well maybe he's flat out on Interstate 10 in west Texas. The speed limit is 80 mph and you can see for miles in all directions. IE not many Troopers.

Im a firm believer :if it well maintained : go for IT

Bill P

Indeed, my story is very simular to yours only a few decades in difference..

Being the only gear head of 1 brother and 5 sisters I was left with the neccesity of figuring all this stuff out on my own..

After owning MANY jap bikes thru the years I finally broke and bought a New Low Rider in 78.. I had owned Yam XS's, Kaw 750's, Honda CB750's and tons of smaller scoots leading up to the BIG DAY!

While I was NEVER impressed with the marketing scam HD was running back then that worked on this premise "we will charge x4 of anything even close to what the japs are selling - its a very small price to pay because of all the substancial upper crust snobishness you get to own because you are bying harley parts".. Well,, I did get the ol girl over 100k, had it to the west coast on several occasions and got to do the Harley during the era when "Lonesome Highway" was my favorite show and the Beach Boys were right on top of their game...

Few years later and I too discovered that I really didnt need the accolades the dealers gave me for giving them 4 times the money I would have on my japper and I went bald so there went longsome highway too..

Being a TRUE gear head I started looking for the most underestimated, misunderstood scoot out there and ran across the VR one day.. Got a ride on one, really liked the industrial strength everything everywhere and, being a MXer at the time,, REALLY liked the way that great big hyper volacity touring bike didnt mind having her pipes drug in the twisties - yessir,, love at first bite!!!

I have had MANY opportunities to go harley over the years and even have owned a few more from building chops and taking them in on trade...... I have a hunch that you are a lot like me, not that you will never own another HD,,, its more like you will never be without another low dollar thrill bike like these Crotch Rockets in sheeps clothing...

Get it, pull maintenance right away so you know you bike,, sync the carbs - check air pressure on the rubber and let er rip

'puc