IGNORED

Sidewall Cracking on One side of Avon Venom-X

I'm not sure if I put this in the correct category, but whatever.

There was a thread a while back that sort of addressed a sidewall cracking issue on Avon Venom tires.

My question is, has anyone successfully had a tire replaced by Avon due to a sidewall cracking issue?

I've got a set of Avon Venom-x that were put on less than 1,000 miles ago (both front and rear) and I have a ridiculous amount of sidewall cracking on the front tire (right side only). I called the dealer that installed them and they told me to contact Avon directly, which I have done.

Just looking for some input and to see if anyone else has had this issue and got it addressed by either their dealer or Avon.

Additional information:

I live in west Texas and the bike is stored in a garage. To my knowledge no tire dressing has ever been put on them and only soap and water has been used to clean them. (the guy I bought it from had them put on, and the bike had less than 50 miles on them from when they were installed at the dealership). The bike originally lived in southern california.

The date code on the tire is 4205 (so it is obviously a few years old).

The cracking is pretty consistent all the way around the tire.

I run these at 36psi.

I am trying to figure out what could have caused this and not a whole lot is making sense as to why it would only be the right sidewall on the front tire when the left side of the front and the rear do not have a single blemish on them.

Any input is appreciated, and I'll keep everyone posted on what, if anything, I hear back from Avon.

I have attached a few pictures to show ya'll what I'm talking about.

Thanks a lot for your time, it is appreciated. :)

How come a tire that old only has 1000 miles on it? Did the dealer put on old tires or did the previous owner have it sitting around on the bike for years?

If the PO had the tire on the motorcycle from shortly after it was manufactured the right of the front was probably facing right into the sun where he parked it.

If the dealer installed old tires that one was probably by a window or the furnace.

Just last week I worked thru my dealer and Avon is replacing my rear tire for cracking...see http://www.venturerider.org/forum/showthread.php?t=33606

Although my issue looks a lot different than yours. Mine look almost like cuts about an inch off the bead all the way around. And mine were much newer with a date code of 0308. But I still don't think what you're seeing should happen!

Avon acted like they'd never heard of that issue before, but they are replacing it under warranty. And my dealer is installing it under warranty as well.

Good luck!

According to the work order the tire was installed in June of 07.

The previous owner [i picked up the bike from his garage, where it was stored] kept it in his garage (no windows)...

But yea -- That's about all I could come up with too, next to a heater or facing the sun (except that the back one is fine)...

Thanks

How come a tire that old only has 1000 miles on it? Did the dealer put on old tires or did the previous owner have it sitting around on the bike for years?

If the PO had the tire on the motorcycle from shortly after it was manufactured the right of the front was probably facing right into the sun where he parked it.

If the dealer installed old tires that one was probably by a window or the furnace.

Do'oh! I read that thread, which is what got me thinking about trying to find warranty information... I guess I managed to miss the part where you said that it was being replaced.

Do you know what the limitations are on the warranty? (do they have some time frame or is it just based on tread depth/mileage).

Thanks a lot for the info!

Hopefully it'll get taken care of quickly.

Just last week I worked thru my dealer and Avon is replacing my rear tire for cracking...see http://www.venturerider.org/forum/showthread.php?t=33606

Although my issue looks a lot different than yours. Mine look almost like cuts about an inch off the bead all the way around. And mine were much newer with a date code of 0308. But I still don't think what you're seeing should happen!

Avon acted like they'd never heard of that issue before, but they are replacing it under warranty. And my dealer is installing it under warranty as well.

Good luck!

If the bike was sitting for a long time with that side of the front tire close to an electric motor that was often on (like a fan, or maybe an air compressor), it is possible that the ozone the motor creates could do that. There are other chemicals that can do that to a tire also (I'd worry about pool chemicals stored too close). It does seem a little strange to only be on one side, since fumes or ozone would tend to disperse in the air, but I can imagine a couple of situations that would expose primarily just one side of the tire.

Hope Avon gives you a new tire, but I wouldn't be too surprised if they say they are too old. Heck, my truck tires always look like that after just sitting outside for a few years! :080402gudl_prv:

Goose

Yea, I pretty much planned on it - but I figured taking the 10 minutes to shoot the pictures, write and e-mail and make a phone call couldn't hurt... Worst case, I buy a new tire. (Assuming I don't have a blow out while riding)

I'd have to say you're going to have to eat that tire and buy a new one since you're not the original purchaser of those tires. I just wonder how that front tire was sitting in the warehouse before it was sold.

WOW!!! I just put new venoms on my bike in november there wouldn't even be 500 km (300 miles) on them I have only had the bike out four times since I put them on. I went out to look at the date stamp on my tires after reading this post just now and darn if there isn't cracks on the tire side walls. To say the least I am definitly not pleased. I also noticed the date stamp is 4505

Edited by saddlebum

No I don't know what the limitations are...I'm guessing it's based on miles & age...and what side of the bed the rep gets up on that day!

Do'oh! I read that thread, which is what got me thinking about trying to find warranty information... I guess I managed to miss the part where you said that it was being replaced.

Do you know what the limitations are on the warranty? (do they have some time frame or is it just based on tread depth/mileage).

Thanks a lot for the info!

Hopefully it'll get taken care of quickly.

I know EXACTLY how you feel...that's just how I felt 2 weeks ago today when I checked mine. Hope you get things taken care of without much hassle...JR

WOW!!! I just put new venoms on my bike in november there wouldn't even be 500 km (300 miles) on them I have only had the bike out four times since I put them on. I went out to look at the date stamp on my tires after reading this post just now and darn if there isn't cracks on the tire side walls. To say the least I am definitly not pleased. I also noticed the date stamp is 4505

I know EXACTLY how you feel...that's just how I felt 2 weeks ago today when I checked mine. Hope you get things taken care of without much hassle...JR

The thing that sort of bothers me is I bought them from Zedno's in Kitchener And they dont' give you a detailed bill just a cash register slip.

Ya know, I was probably the first member to contact AVON about the cracking problem about three years ago right after VWIII in Susanville. Avon handled the problem very well, and I was led to believe it was an isolated incidence. However.... shortly after installing the replacement tire it started to develope cracks too. The second tire was built just a couple of weeks after the first. I requested that the third tire be a later vintage, which is was, and it's been on the bike for about 4,000 miles thru FtCollins and SLO. When I looked at it a couple of months ago it show'd...ever so slightly... checking on the side walls. I'm keeping an eye on it.

After reading some of the threads about the problem on the board I'm starting to think it's not such an isolated incidence, and Avon has...or needs to address the problem if they already haven't. They gotta be absorbing a lot of warantee costs by not only replacing the tires, but picking up the larbor costs too.

I don't think oils or UV exposure have anything to do with it, but it's probably more in the construction. On some of the VR's I own the E-II's tires are older than dirt, and they don't show one bit of sidewall checking.

I thought I'd call Avon and talk to my contact person, and try to get some sort of an explanation about all the tires going bad just on this board.

I love the handling characteristics, but if this is what can be expected in the future I'm going to start looking around for another tire.

PS>> I just emailed Avon and the mail bounced. So either he's changed his email address or no longer works for Avon?? I'll have to do some ore investigating....

Edited by Condor

Since I lost all summer last year rebuilding my bike and the cracking seems to be just starting, I really don't want to loose anymore riding time while I deal with this problem. does anyone know just how far I can get away with this (probably a real dumb question I know but I am feeling really desparate and disappointed all at the same time right now) and I really want to make it to some of the up and coming M&E's.

How about it Squidly your one of the biggest fan's of these tires on the site what is your opinion.

Hmm Interesting. Yesterday I e-mailed info@avonmotorcycleusa.com -- because I couldn't really find anything else. But it does say right above it "for technical or fitment assistance contact info@..."

No word yet, but I'll give them a few days before I try again. Interesting that our date codes are only 3 weeks apart...

As for how long one can ride on a tire with cracking sidewalls... well - the cracks are an obvious sign of degradation of the integrity of the sidewall as to how far can you go before it peels out or blows out, I don't know of a good way to gauge it.

In my humble opinion, I would say if it is just a little bit here and there, then it is fine. But if you have any cracks continuous of 1 inch or longer (according to the Texas safety inspection criteria) that is 'too dangerous to be on the road'... Personally, I am uncomfortable with how much mine are cracked (I have experienced a blow out before and would die a happy man if I NEVER have to go through that again)...

I totally understand bike withdraw though (and it is not fun)!

Saddlebum: Is yours cracking on just one side, or both?

...date stamp is 4505

Condor: Thanks much for your input too - I had the same thoughts about getting the second Avon put on. The only time I have used Avon was now and I had an 1100 shadow that had avons on it. There was some sidewall cracking, but the tires were pretty bald when I had picked up the bike -- So I replaced them with Dunlops and didn't think twice about it.

Edited by LilBeaver

Alright folks I have almost concluded this adventure...

I heard back from Avon. They gave me a phone number and instructions.

My local dealership is taking care of it for me -- Tire is being replaced under warranty (unfortunately my local shop had to order it and it won't be here for a few more days. Boooo).

I asked Avon about what the details of this warranty were and did not get a response.

My suggestion: Go back to the dealership you got them from, talk to someone in service. Then, if they suggest you contact Avon - send them a detailed e-mail with pictures, or call their number. Remember, the worst that can happen in contacting them is that they say no, and you've lost the time it took you to drive to a shop and/or draft an e-mail.

Good luck!

Here's what mine look like - the dealer is working with Avon...

That crack is the worst I've seen so far.... I'm curious if there are any other brands experiencing side wall checking like the Avons?? :confused07: :think: :puzzled:

alright folks i have almost concluded this adventure...

I heard back from avon. They gave me a phone number and instructions.

My local dealership is taking care of it for me -- tire is being replaced under warranty (unfortunately my local shop had to order it and it won't be here for a few more days. Boooo).

I asked avon about what the details of this warranty were and did not get a response.

My suggestion: Go back to the dealership you got them from, talk to someone in service. Then, if they suggest you contact avon - send them a detailed e-mail with pictures, or call their number. Remember, the worst that can happen in contacting them is that they say no, and you've lost the time it took you to drive to a shop and/or draft an e-mail.

Good luck!

i had a set of avons put on my first 2003 venture, 1 day before going on a trip to the dragon, they felt greasy kinda like new tires will untill you scuff them... Well the fealing stayed that way for about 1500 miles of the trip, and then felt ok..not great, just ok.... Well the ok feeling left me when the rear tire blew out at 2600 miles of the trip on the way home!!!

If you have ever had a blow out on a motorcycle while riding two up pulling a loaded trailer at full speed at 9 oclock at night in the middle of no where...............well lets just say this... After i got stopped and made sure the wife and i were safe, and the shorts were checked for soil...

My biggest fear after we got home was that if i called avon, that they would warranty the tire and i would be stuck with another p.o.s tire that may cost me or my wife our lives.........warranty is great...but whats it worth to you??

Michelin commanders. Mike

Took my wheels into Zednos Friday. Al at Zednos with no hesitation at all replaced them at no charge Even gave me the option to choose from different brands, at which point I opted to go back to the Dunlop 491 elite II which was what I originaly had and was very pleased with. This is not the first time I have dealt with Zednos and I have always received excellent treatment from them.

P/S apparantly Dunlop got a lot of complaints from the goldwing people when they stopped producing the 491 elite II and so are again producing them.

Today I went on a 7 hour ride and to be quite honest I am glad to be back on the dunlop 491 elite II the bike feels more stable at highway speeds than they did with the venoms and they feel a lot less greasy in the turns. All in all I just feel more confident on the elite II

I contacted Avon by phone and talked to Sukoshi at length about the cracking. This is the email she sent me regarding the issue.

Hi Jack,

Thank you for your feedback and the threads. As I mentioned some of what gets posted on forums is not filtered by the questions a tire manufacturer would ask so we prefer to handle each tire query on a case by case basis rather than generalizations on forums. I've attached some of the typical things that can cause dry rot along with other issues commonly seen by tire manufacturers. I hope this will be of assistance. If a rider has a concern they should first take their tire to a dealer for examination /evaluation and the dealer can call Avon with the details. If it's fine spider line cracks this is cosmetic and should be just monitored. Tires do tend to flex and this will generate fine lines within the grooves and on sidewalls.

Also it's important for tires to run at correct inflation pressures or they can flex too much.

Sukoshi Fahey (Ms.)

Sales Manager North America

She also included the attached info below.

• 1 year later...

This is my 2nd set on Avons & both sets had Cracking if you are facing the bike from the front the left side of tires is the worse. # 1 set 4505 2nd 4408 4508, Tire Rep. came to Yamaha dealer & said he would replace them ( NO Charge ) said he had a Bad Batch. Well i will keep a close eye on them. That was on March, 24th 2011 should have them by Wed. Hope that help.

PSI 38/ 42

here is my take on the tire issues.........

ok, i buy a tire from joe "joes tire mfg"

i have joes tire for a few months and find that it has cracks or defects of some type, and i ask joe " hey joe? whats with this problem?" and joe says "i have had some bad batches of this tire" but i willl give you another tire for your troubles..

if joe came looking for me, and said hey!! i got some bad tires out there and i want to save your life with a new design tire, then i would be a player..... however if i gotta poke joe in the head and ask for another tire, just to find out that he knew he had a problem and didn't seek me out to save my life???? do ya see where this is going??:confused24:

if it's just about saving a buck? then take the free tire and risk your life and everyone around you with that free tire... just to save a buck.:no-no-no:

if it's not about the money, then buy another brand...

sorry if your name is joe and you make tires. mike:whistling:

Guest scarylarry

I just put a new set of Avons on today the date was 09 they was purchase from Jake Wilson.

Everything I have read is the PSI should be 48 to 50 on the rear and 42 on the front, according to condor pdf file..

Wouldn't running under inflated cause cracking too?

I will keep my eye on them closely and will go back to E3's at the first sign of cracking, hopefully Jake Wilson will do something if this happens..

On Edit:

I just saw how old this thread was...wow

Edited by scarylarry