IGNORED

air in shocks

rod

Rod,

The main reason to put air in any shock is to set the ride height (aka preload). In other words, you would add air when you have a passenger so that your bike does not sag lower than when it's just you on the bike.

However, air in a confined space does act like a progressive spring and helps the overall ride some. Now on the amount of air, it's really a personal preference but some folks put 50lbs in with a passenger and 20 when riding solo.

So in short, whenever you need it to keep the bike from saging too much,

Rick

Thanks, the reason I asked is I have been loosing air pressure. I have the progressive air link on the front and run 5lbs most of the time, loose 2-3 lbs a month. My rear shock went south but I put 20ml of tranny fluid in it and put 40lbs of air (my normal amount) and it seems to be holding. I will see what happens in the long run but for now the pogoing is gone. Rod

• 3 weeks later...
I gotta ask what is a progressive air pump and where can I get one? I'm picking up my new (to me) 2006 RSV tomorrow so I'll have lots more questions soon. Thanks.

"Simple to operate and extremely accurate, this air pumps produce pressures of up to 300psi by delivering .7 cubic inches of air per stroke. Ideal for setting the pressure on air forks, air shocks or anti-dive fork components. Permits minute adjustments by using a let down valve and also features an in-line check valve to insure a no-leak operation and disconnect."

Click HERE.

"I gotta ask what is a progressive air pump and where can I get one?"

I got mine at my local Harley-Davidson store. It has Harley logo on it but it is made by Progressive. Believe it or not it was cheaper than you could get it direct from Progressive. Who cares about a logo...

They make a 0-30 lbs. and a 0-60 lbs. Be sure to get the 0-60 so you can use it on your rear shock.

"Simple to operate and extremely accurate, this air pumps produce pressures of up to 300psi by delivering .7 cubic inches of air per stroke. Ideal for setting the pressure on air forks, air shocks or anti-dive fork components. Permits minute adjustments by using a let down valve and also features an in-line check valve to insure a no-leak operation and disconnect."

Click HERE.

Thanks for the link Steve! Just ordered one. That is just what Ive been looking for. You guys are great! :superman: no more guessing and lost pressure on disconnect with my compressor.

• 2 weeks later...

well I got the pump today. It took a long time to get it and was disapointed to find out the guage has a 0-300 pound range. I ordered from the link above and that is what you get. any one else that wants one needs to look for the one that has a 0-60 pound range. Different part. :crying: