IGNORED

m/c rear tire on front?

latchkey

i have a federal 165/80/15 c/t on back and love it. what size rear m/c would fit the front on my 2gen. all my goldwing riding bubs run rear m/c on there bikes. the front rim size being 16 and back 15? anyone doing this on 2gen.

• 1 month later...

I am also using an Avon MT/90-16 rear tire backwards on the front. It has a lot more rubber on it than their standard rear tire. It rolls along just fine. I'm looking forward to not buying another tire for the front of my bike next year.

The best thing I have done was to put a Avon cobra radial on the front it is available in the 150/80/16 front radial, with a radial ct on back, venture rides like a dream.

Gregg

Hi Gregg, so the handling improved with the Avon cobra radial 150/80/19 on the front? How does it compare in profile and width with the stock bias ply tire. I know you haven't had it long enough to judge the mileage you might get, but why did you purchase the Avon tire? Is it known as a high mileage tire? I really like the idea of putting a radial tire on the front.

My reasons for purchasing the radial was ride and handling. The radial car tire on back made the bike ride so much better I new that a matching radial on frount had to help.

And the Avon Cobra is a frount radial not a rear tire turned backward.

Handling, years ago at the road dept where I once worked, on the dump trucks we ran bias ply lugged grips on the back and radials on the frount, the draw back was it made the trucks wiggle through curves. Which many have complained about on here about the venture with a radial ct on back and bias on frount. To me it was very minor, easily tollerated, But I remembered when the started making radial mud grips for the dump trucks and the truck had radials on both ends the wiggle in the curves stopped.

So I decided I needed frount tire anyway price is about the same, and I am an avon fan too. I ordered the Cobra radial, bike rode better and the little wiggle in the curves was eliminated. this was on my 2000 RSV, which I have sold.

As far as mileage the Avon on the frount of my valkyrie had 19,775 miles on it when I took it off, still had some miles left but most I take tires off too soon.

My idea on that, your not wasting money keeping good tires on a bike, only 2 tire and My life is riding on them.

A guy who lives near me has the red 2000 now, and loves the ride, it has a nexum on the rear. I have the kumho on the back of my white 04 RSV and it will soon have a cobra radial on the frount. It is just a great combination.

The tire is almost exactly the same it is a 150/80/16, maybe a tad shorter but width is very close.

Hope I answered you question

Gregg

Edited by footsie
forgot to anwer part of the question

• 9 months later...