IGNORED

CB Modulation Level

The other members in my riding group say the audio from my CB is a lot lower than everyone else. The audio is crisp and clear, but just not very loud. The receive audio is fine, it's just the transmit audio that doesn't have much punch. I have a 2009 RSV and have checked and double-checked all of the connectors and they're all good. I've also replaced the OEM antenna with a Firestick FireFly and the SWR is 1.2 to 1 and I have a good signal.

I'd like to avoid taking the bike to Yamaha service until I absolutely have to. I'd rather fiix it myself. Has anyone found a solution to this problem. Have you tweeked the modulation pot on the Clarion circuit board? Does anyone have a schematic of the Clarion CB unit or can tell me the number of the modulation potentiometer on the board?

Thanks guys,

David

K4ZZR

Push the middle button on the audio head until you see IC. Turn it up. Intercom volume affects CB output volume.

Uhhh, I'm not sayin for sure 'cause I haven't actually tested this yet myself, but I HIGHLY DOUBT this statement; it is actually beyond my belief that it could be true. But I will test it next time I am with someone else who has a CB and report back.

The most common cause of this problem is positioning of the mic. Make sure it is properly facing and close to the lips. Also check that intercom audio sounds OK and same volume in both helmets - that will test the correct function of your mic without using the CB. If you don't normally ride two-up using IC with your passenger, you might have a problem testing this since you will need two helmets with headsets. In addition, you will need to adjust the IC vol level for that test - 10 should be plenty loud. Another test would simply be to use someone else's helmet on your bike. Goldwing cords are compatible, so it shouldn't be too tough to find someone with a wing to plug into your bike and do a test transmit.

Finally, know that this problem is neither typical nor a deficiency in the RSV CB. When I ride with a pack of wing riders, they all commont on how much louder and cleareer my radio is than any of the Wing CBs. So if you get a wing rider to plug into your bike and test transmit, and other riders say it still sounds weak, that would prove the problem is in the bike and not the headset or cord. At that point you should be able to get the shop to fix the problem under warranty. :080402gudl_prv:

Goose

Goose....thanks for the info.

My wife and I use J&M HS-BCD279-UN Dual Mode headsets. I've tried both headsets with the same result. The mic is definitely aimed toward my mouth and touching my lips. The audio is very clear, just not very loud compared to the others in our group who are using Midland 75-822 handheld units. There was also a post on here awhile back from another venturerider member who reported the same problem with his CB. If yours is nice and loud, I wonder what kind of headset you're using? If I can find a Goldwinger who will let me plug his headset in for a test, that would be good too.

There should be no relation between the IC and the CB's transmit audio output.

I've been a ham radio operator for 30 years so I do have a pretty good working knowledge of communications. I've searched the web and it appears that the Gold Wings actually use the same (or similar) Clarion CB that the Venture does and some wingers have also reported the low level modulation. This may not be a problem that affects all RSV CB units, however, if I could get hold of the schematics I would like to increase the modulation level.

Thanks,

David

Uhhh, I'm not sayin for sure 'cause I haven't actually tested this yet myself, ...
No large test or anything, I was riding with Indydog and couldn't hear him. He turned his intercom volume up and I could. I don't really know if he repositioned his mic or anything else. Looks like I'll have some testing to do this Saturday on the M&E.

My wife and I use J&M HS-BCD279-UN Dual Mode headsets. I've tried both headsets with the same result. The mic is definitely aimed toward my mouth and touching my lips. The audio is very clear, just not very loud compared to the others in our group who are using Midland 75-822 handheld units. There was also a post on here awhile back from another venturerider member who reported the same problem with his CB. If yours is nice and loud, I wonder what kind of headset you're using? If I can find a Goldwinger who will let me plug his headset in for a test, that would be good too.

I've been a ham radio operator for 30 years so I do have a pretty good working knowledge of communications. I've searched the web and it appears that the Gold Wings actually use the same (or similar) Clarion CB that the Venture does and some wingers have also reported the low level modulation. This may not be a problem that affects all RSV CB units, however, if I could get hold of the schematics I would like to increase the modulation level.

Thanks,

David

I have used both the J&M 277 (earlier model from yours), which my wife still uses, and a J&M 500 series (I think) on my current Nolan helmet.

As a radio operator you sound like you know what you are doing, so I won't try to educate on the simple stuff any more (I'm an ex-avionics tech myself). Best thing I could suggest would be to try to get together with two other RSV owners and go in a group back to the dealer. I am assuming, of course, that the other two CBs will be working correctly. If you park yours and one other across the lot and have the service manager listen to the third one while you and the first guy take turns giving a long count, it should be obvious to him that you have a problem. If they are all RSVs (or at least yours and the other test transmitter), there is no way he can try and claim dissimilar equipment! :080402gudl_prv:

Goose

Guest tx2sturgis

I wonder if a few of these are getting out the door with the CB modulation turned too low?

Camping out in Roanoke Texas tonite...can u hear me now?

Thanks,

David

I do know you can get a lot more out of a good antenna than a lot peak power out put. I have yet to use my CB because I'm have problems with the J&M set (wires) I have a friend thats really good with tuning these things and I have wait and see, I like clean sound and I don't need a CB that will blast everyone within 30 miles of me.

One more thing to check.

What side of the bike is the CB antenna on???

They put this on at the dealership and mine was on the wrong side..........

Standing behind the bike.. what side should it be on? I was thinking for some strange reason my antennas are reversed... not picking up all the radio stations I normally do, and seems the last time I saw a venture, the CB antenna was on the right side as you stand behind the bike looking.

Standing behind the bike.. what side should it be on? I was thinking for some strange reason my antennas are reversed... not picking up all the radio stations I normally do, and seems the last time I saw a venture, the CB antenna was on the right side as you stand behind the bike looking.

Standing behind the bike, facing the bike, the CB should be on the left side. However, just make sure the wire coming out of the black box under the trunk goes to the antenna with the black load in the middle. But the wire usually comes out of the box and goes to the left side antenna.

Thank you. Mine is on the correct side. I can't imagine the wires to the antennas would be interchangable though?

I guess the radio on these just aren't as good as the ones in the car. I can't get it to autolock on a few of my favorite stations. Guess I'll have to program them in the hard way.

Thank you. Mine is on the correct side. I can't imagine the wires to the antennas would be interchangable though?

I guess the radio on these just aren't as good as the ones in the car. I can't get it to autolock on a few of my favorite stations. Guess I'll have to program them in the hard way.

I don't know what you local stations or geography are like, but my experience seems to show a good radio on the RSV - I can listen to my local FM stations for at least 75 miles out of town, and often 100. That is good range for any FM radio, and my radio will auto tune even stations too weak for good listening. You might want to check to be sure the antenna cable is properly connected to the radio in the fairing. I have no idea if it is one cable all the way or possibly multiple sections, but you could probably find out from the parts breakdown or just trace the cable. Another simple check would just be to plug in any auto antenna (assuming the Clarion unit uses standard antenna jack) and see if that changes the radio sensitivity. If no change, the issue is your radio, but if it receives better, you can focus just on your antenna and cable. :080402gudl_prv:

Goose

I wonder if a few of these are getting out the door with the CB modulation turned too low?

Camping out in Roanoke Texas tonite...can u hear me now?

Yes, I think that's the problem. I need to get back under the top box and pull the CB to get the model number. I found a post elsewhere that referred to adjusting the modulation on the Clarion radios, but there were different instructions for different models. The older units mod level was tuned with VR-201 and the newer units were tuned with VR-101 and VR-102 specifically:

1. Set Cb channel to CH-20 (27.205 MHz)

2. Connect low frequency oscillator to MIC-IN terminal or the DIN connector, and set the oscillator's output to 1kHz, 100mV.

3. Adjust VR102 so that the depth of modulation at this time 70% (Max Mod. CW=+)

4. Set the oscillator's output 1kHz, 10Mv.

5. Adjust VR103 so that the depth of modulation at this time becomes 50% (Mod. CCW=+).

I definitely would not recommend anyone do this unless you have the knowledge and skills to make such adjustments to your radio. It would be very easy to mess up your radio -or- cause spurious harmonics if you overdrive it.

David

One more thing to check.

What side of the bike is the CB antenna on???

They put this on at the dealership and mine was on the wrong side..........

It's definitely on the left side.....I've also replaced the original coax lead with a new 18" factory one straight to the radio, and a new FireStick FireFly antenna. Receives great, transmit signal is fine but output audio is down. It's not terribly low, it's just not up where it should be. I don't want a "power mike" or anything that will overdrive the unit but the modulated audio could definitely use some tweaking.

Thanks,

David