IGNORED

not bike related but need help

Naked Rider

family wants to go to Washington DC for vacation in july we live in missouri any thing good to see on the way there or back and whats all in washington that is a must see oh by the way we will bi in a truck with a 30ft 5thwheel on the back so be nice

I went last year and probably the very best thing I saw was the changing of the gaurd ceremony at Arlington, followed by the vietnam memorial, the national cathedral, what part I saw of the Smithsonian, Mt Vernon. All of which are easily accessible by subway, trust me the traffic is terrible in the city and I surely wouldnt try to pull an rv through there. Once you get there you will see many many advertisements for attractions throughout the area and believe it or not the best ones are free!

Plenty to see and the traffic is terrible. Here's the link that lists the stuff in DC so many things to do hard to list them all. http://www.washington.org/

Hope you have a good time. Hope the weather is great as well. Let us all know when you head out, I'm sure some folks along your travels could meet up for a meal or a cup of coffee.

Margaret

Check out the camping areas in Chevy Chase Maryland. From there it is a short Bus and Subway (Metro) ride into DC and all points throughout the city. The Metro Passes are the way to go.

Driving and Parking in DC is a real NIGHTMARE and will cost you dearly in Parking fees....and they love to give out Parking tickets too!

Air & Space Museum is good for killing a whole day.....Smithsonian alone will eat up a whole week if you try to see everything in all of their buildings.....LOB (Legislative Office Building).....Library of Congress.....Lincoln Memorial.....Washington Monument is great for the view and exercise in going UP all the stairs to get to the top!

Try to see the National Mall at night when everything is lit up. Really beautiful!

**For cheap Dining you can go to the National 4H Center in Chevy Chase....Buy your Meal ticket at the Main Lobby and walk across the street to their Dining Facility. Breakfast,Lunch,and Dinner are all well prepared and all you can eat!!

Wear GOOD walking shoes and dress lightly.

Security is a PITA so expect to be well searched at all Government places.

The Grand Union Train Station is loaded with panhandlers outside the building....and across the street from that there is the US Postal Museum which is great. Also at the GU Train Station you can book the Tour of Arlington which is a good deal.

Boomer.....who won't tell ya the Liberal Bars that will toss Conservatives into the street.

Edited by BoomerCPO
Spelling........again.

Years ago we camped in Greenbelt National Park on the outskits of DC for 2 weeks - 7 miles from downtown. Much cheaper than the RV parks, and much nicer too. They supplied all the firewood we could burn at that time for about $7 a day.

Besides what you can see in DC - don't forget Gettysburg, Annapolis, and the Camp DAvid area. We also spent a weekend camping right on the Atlantic Ocean (but I don't remember where now).

DC is one of my favorite cities in this country - there is so much history there to soak up. My favorite thing to do is at the end of the day to spend a quite evening sitting on the steps of the Lincoln memorial watching the moon over the capital building.

Have a great time! It's a fantastic trip. I want to go too!

Being a lifelong area resident I'm sure I could help with ideas but it would help to know the ages of the family members.... some things you would enjoy and the kids would hate etc...

Biggest word of advice - keep that 5th wheel outside the beltway, do not try to take it in DC.

Guest Swifty

I've gone back 3 times to see these, among others:

Capital building and Washington monument...get up early, go stand in line at these places for free tickets to tours during that day. Not much of a chance to see these places during the summer months if you don't do this.

Changing of the guard at Arlington's Tomb of the Unknown (which they now know), lots of paid parking, long walk up hill and many famous gravesides to visit, including astronauts.

Are you into even more walking?...take the tidal pond walk all the way around to see Jefferson and Roosevelt memorials.

Dulles Aviation museum at the Dulles airport...long drive out of town, lots of paid parking, relaxed atmosphere, usually much less busy than the Air and Space one on the mall, plus it has a great mixture of aircraft for the eclectic aviation enthusiast, a hidden treasure off the beaten path...if you're into that kind of thing.

Besides the aviation stuff I was most intrigued by the museum of natural history. So much to see. So, find out what really turns on your family in general and then focus on those museums, especially if you have a limited amount of time.

I love Washington...immersing myself in the culture at the heart of the powerful beast...maybe I'll do it again this summer. It's got to be on everyone's bucket list. Hope you have fun there.

well lets see my dad 61 might be flying in from Portland OR and he is handicaped one leg

the ages are me 44, wife 42, son 20, his girlfreind,18, son 15,daughter 13. Hhmm now tell me why they call it relaxen i got all those people to deal with and no bike to run away on lol lol

I live just outside DC, and work in the District...

Best advice you got so far is DO NOT try to take your trailer in the city.. It's a nightmare down town, and no one cares about anyone other than their selves. I seriously doubt you will be able to find a place to park unless you park illegally, and yep, they love to give out tickets around here.

So much to see in the area... To do the Smithsonian, a week won't get it.. it's more like a month's worth if you want to see the bulk of it. I could spend a month in the National Archives alone.. what a treasure trove..

I live about a mile from Mount Vernon. Checking out George's house to me is one thing anyone that comes to DC should try to do. Beautiful grounds, and gives you a nice insight to our nation's first president.

Just walking around DC is a good time, even if you aren't trying to do all of the monuments which is why to come in the first place. Lots of charm and beautiful buildings to check out. Then again, any time I go anywhere, I like to get off the beaten path, and see the stuff the locals know, and avoid the tourists.

Georgetown is a great place to stroll for a day, and bring a healthy appetite.. great stores, good food, and lots of people watching.. Yeah, I think people watching in DC is my favorite thing to do... expect since I commute it daily, you have to watch people, because like I said, in general, they don't give a flying flip about you, and all the want you to do is get the hell outta their way... They are entitled don't ya know?

If you do make it out here, let me know, and I can give you better pointers on what to do and see once you get a little better plan of attack.

OH.. forgot to mention, my wife and I moved out here from the St. Louis area almost 4 years ago.. we still travel back and forth to Illinois a couple times a year... fly some times, drive other times.. We haven't found much in between of interest... There is cool stuff, but just nothing that really stands out I can think of.

Yes what Similost said! being the ages you are helps... not having to deal with 5-10 year olds, they get bored easy. Smithsonian is a good start inc. Air and Space, also Spy museum, Capitol, Lincoln and Vets memorials. Wash. Monument Arlington Nat. Cemetary. Georgetown a must for people watching and go to Sequoia Restaurant on the waterfront in Georgetown nice outside spot. On your way in or out you might want to do Gettysburg 3-4 nice campgrounds or Harpers Ferry (KOA). I could go on and on but a week just doesn't cut it. If you have a ton of $ (haha who does) there is a nice brunch cruise on the potomac but I think it's in the $100 range pp.

Feel free to ask any questions.

Check your congressman's or Senators web site and arrange for tours of the Lib. of Congress, Capitol, Whitehouse, etc. You will avoid a lot of lines this way. Be sure to tour the Supreme Court as well. Might want to consider the US Mint as well. There will be a complete list on your congressman's site.

Best advice is not to bring the camper anywhere near DC. Lots of things to do. Metro is the best bet. If you would like a personal tour of the Pentagon, let me know. Just PM me and I will either set you up for a tour and/or take you on one myself. I work from 1PM to 9PM so anytime in the evening is good. Plus the 9/11 memorial looks better at night anyway if you get a chance to see it.

Chris

If you are going to be in the Quantico area, you should try and see the new Marine Museum. Very nice place, and lots of great history in there.

Also, there is a place that is a little hard to find, but a great place to do eat crab near Dumfries.. and also a one a little further south near Fredericksburg called Tim's River Shore.. Lots of boats pulled up outside them, lots of great seafood and blue crab, and of course adult beverages.. we always have a good time when we go. If you make it down towards Fredericksburg, there are some battle grounds to see in that area.

Your wife might like checking out Occoquan too. a town made for walking and checking out all the small boutique shops in. Great shopping, and some places with wonderful food.

Just trying to think of some of the places that are close to where you would be staying.