IGNORED

Changed Fuel Filter - PITA

RedRider

That little puppy is one of the things I put on my schedule to do whenever I change my rear tire along with greasing the driveshaft splines. It's a LOT easier to do with the rear wheel off the bike. Reach up inside the swing arm and remove the screw for the bracket and it falls open. Pull the filter down a bit, replace it and remount the bracket. Takes about 10 minutes at the most.

For the $5.00 it costs I'm willing to change it more often rather than when I have to.

That little puppy is one of the things I put on my schedule to do whenever I change my rear tire along with greasing the driveshaft splines. It's a LOT easier to do with the rear wheel off the bike. Reach up inside the swing arm and remove the screw for the bracket and it falls open. Pull the filter down a bit, replace it and remount the bracket. Takes about 10 minutes at the most.

For the $5.00 it costs I'm willing to change it more often rather than when I have to.

I will have to remember that. Now, if I can just have a 'scheduled' rear tire change rather than an emergency change like my last 2, it would be a great thing.

RR

Well, the season is starting again on Friday. Heading out to Dallas, Las Vegas, and back home via Bozeman, Mt (if the weather cooperates) in 5 days. I will really see Rick Butler's work on my seat holds up. Estimated 4200 miles.

And, yes, the back tire is relatively new (about 500 miles on it). The pressure will be checked every day - if not every fill up.

RR

Food for thought for next time you change your fuel filter..

If you remove the two 10mm bolts that holds the fuel pump to its mounting bracket, you can swing the fuel pump completely out of the way, and you will have lots of room.

The wires going to the fuel pump are just plug in's and you can even unplug them and put the fuel pump on the shelf while you work..

As for that little nut on the back side that is a PITA to keep from dropping and lining up in the hole to install the bolt, just use a little piece of tape rolled into a circle (or bubble gum) and put it on the end your finger and then put the nut onto the tape.. it sticks there and you wont drop it..

Or you can relocate the fuel filter like I did and never worry about it again..:whistling:

Unfortunately the 2nd gen fuel filter is in a worse spot to get at than the 1st gen. I swapped mine out on my '99 to an inline, too bad I didn't have the bike long enought to have to change it out

:doh:

I know what you mean. I managed to touch it, but had already done the spark plugs and air filters and decided that was enough for one day. Had to leave something for later right.

Dennis

I did that as well, still not done.

That It's a LOT easier to do with the rear wheel off the bike. Reach up inside the swing arm and remove the screw for the bracket and it falls open. Pull the filter down a bit, replace it and remount the bracket. Takes about 10 minutes at the most.

I am going to try this method, hoping it is that simple.

Brad

O'Reilly will sell you a small (thumb size) filter that can be cut in under the seat (it's clear, you can see when you've picked up a load of stuff). Then just leave the stock one in place, and know that you have a thing that need not be looked at.