Out of the two MC Stand/Wheel Chocks that Harbor Freight sells, which one is the better for the 2nd Gen. RSV? I would be mounting it to a wood deck trailer. Do both of these when mounted to the floor or trailer deck support the bike for free standing? Does the lower cost one (96349-2vga) have any problems with the side rail/tubing hitting the bikes break rotor?

Motorcycle Wheel Chock http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/gifs/clear.gif

Chock moves up automatically, securing wheel in place.

• Makes it easy for one person to strap down motorcycle
  • Mounts securely to truck, trailer, or floor
  • Quick and easy
  • Fits most motorcycles

13-5/16" high; Rugged 7 gauge base plate; All hardware included.

ITEM 96349-2VGA

Motorcycle Stand/Wheel Chock http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/gifs/clear.gif

Heavy duty, fully adjustable wheel chock with an adjustable wheel locking system that can accommodate front or rear wheel sizes from 15" to 22" (80-127W).

• Supports the motorcycle in an upright position
  • Can be permanently mounted to the ground or bottom of a trailer
  • Two built-in tie downs for added safety
  • Powder-coated 12 gauge plated steel base and wheel chock

Overall dimensions: 36" L x 35-1/4" W x 16-1/8" H; Wheel plate dimensions: 5-1/8" L x 9-1/2" W x 15-1/8" H; Wheel support dimensions: 8-13/16" L x 7-7/8" W

ITEM 97841-1VGA

If there are any pro's or con's to them please let me know!!

Dennis

Edited by dlhoulton

Your links do not work.

But I think I know what stands you are looking at, and I particularly noted your question about "free standing". I strongly advise you to not consider ANY front wheel chock/stand as safe to hold the RSV by itself.

I have the Condor stand - this is a very expensive and well built front wheel stand, and it is what the Harbor Freight stand imitates. When you see it demonstrated at a bike show it is very impressive, and they DO claim it will safely hold the bike by the front wheel alone. Don't believe it for the RSV. The front tire is just too fat and small (16") to be properly gripped by the stand. The first time I put the RSV in it, it did seem to hold it OK, but about 15 minutes later I happened to glance at the bike and thought it didn't look quite straight. As I went over to the bike and started looking at it closely from a number of angles, I noticed it seemed to be getting worse, until I finally detected a s l o w lean that began to almost imperceptibly pick up speed as the bike got further off center. Thankfully I was able to grab it and prevent the final act, but I just got lucky that I happened to notice it before I left the garage.

Bottom line for me is that these stands are good to help you position the bike and hold it for you long enough to put tie down straps in place, but I would never trust it without the straps for more than a couple of minutes. :080402gudl_prv:

Goose

I've got this one mounted in my trailer and it works fine. But as Goose says I would never depend on just that alone to support the bike.

http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/ctaf/displayitem.taf?Itemnumber=96349

There's this one also at a bit more money. and it does apear one could use it as a stand alone . But again I wouldn't trust it entirely even thou the outrigger legs look long enough, plus it has eye bolts for adding tie down straps

http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/ctaf/displayitem.taf?Itemnumber=97841

Larry

V7Goose,

Thanks for the reply.

Don't know why the links did not work. I changed them to descriptions instead.

I should have made myself more clear. I did not have any intension of just parking the bike in the stand and not securing it down. I have to agree that would be foolish. But you hit the nail on the head with your advice on these stands being able to hold the bike in position long enough to allow for tie down.

Thanks Carbon_One,

Those are the exact ones I was talking about. Your links work great. (Got to learn how to do that better!!). The one that you have mounted in your trailer is the one I'm leaning towards (Less cost !!!) and plan on leaving it installed on trailer. Does it interfear in any way with the rotors on the front tire? I read on one post that it is just barley wide enough for our front tires and dosen't allow for the tire to seat all the way. Also the picture looks like the front disk rotor sets inside the rails (for that bike). I went out and looked at the RSV and the rotors stick out a little on each side!!

Edited by dlhoulton

Thanks Carbon_One,

Those are the exact ones I was talking about. Your links work great. (Got to learn how to do that better!!). The one that you have mounted in your trailer is the one I'm leaning towards (Less cost !!!) and plan on leaving it installed on trailer. Does it interfear in any way with the rotors on the front tire? I read on one post that it is just barley wide enough for our front tires and dosen't allow for the tire to seat all the way. Also the picture looks like the front disk rotor sets inside the rails (for that bike). I went out and looked at the RSV and the rotors stick out a little on each side!!

It's been a whle since I last had the bike on the trailer but didn't have any issuses with anything hitting the rotors or other parts of the bike then. The last long trip I used it on was when I towed it to Ga and back 2 years ago using it.

Larry

BTW: to copy and paste a link right click the mouse over whatever link you want to copy. A pop up will appear, scroll down and left click copy. Then it's a simple matter of right clicking on the post you're writing, getting a pop up and hitting paste. Takes less time to do it then tell how too.

I've got this one mounted in my trailer and it works fine. But as Goose says I would never depend on just that alone to support the bike.

http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/ctaf/displayitem.taf?Itemnumber=96349

There's this one also at a bit more money. and it does apear one could use it as a stand alone . But again I wouldn't trust it entirely even thou the outrigger legs look long enough, plus it has eye bolts for adding tie down straps

http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/ctaf/displayitem.taf?Itemnumber=97841

Larry

That second one is similar to the Condor (but less than 1/2 the cost!). Since I haven't found one at my local Harbor Freight yet, I cannot say if it is built as strong as the Condor. The front part is a little different and my actually support the tire a bit better.

Goose

They work real well , but one should give them a better coat of paint on them . I have mine mounted on an open trailer and I have the original paint peeling off at this very moment . I've had mine since fall and will be refurbishing it real soon .

BEER30

I use this one on my lift.

Motorcycle Wheel Chock http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/gifs/clear.gif

ITEM 96349-2VGA

I ride the bike up on the lift into the chock, step off, and raise the lift. If I'm doing something other than cleaning it, I'll strap it down. I have a second one under my work bench that's going on my bike trailer as soon as i get a round to it!

I use the Harbor freight 96349-2 in my trailer for my 1st gen's. You ride into it and it locks the bike in. Holds it up straight, I get off and then strap the bike down. If I park it in it for the night, I put it in the stand and put down the side stand. It is usually still standing up straight the next morning. When you go to exit it, just get on the bike and pull backwards. Since my trailer is enclosed, I cannot talk about the finish for outdoors. Also if you are not in a hurry, sign up for harbor freight store and online coupons. They put this on sale a lot this time of year

Your links do not work.

But I think I know what stands you are looking at, and I particularly noted your question about "free standing". I strongly advise you to not consider ANY front wheel chock/stand as safe to hold the RSV by itself.

I have the Condor stand - this is a very expensive and well built front wheel stand, and it is what the Harbor Freight stand imitates. When you see it demonstrated at a bike show it is very impressive, and they DO claim it will safely hold the bike by the front wheel alone. Don't believe it for the RSV. The front tire is just too fat and small (16") to be properly gripped by the stand. The first time I put the RSV in it, it did seem to hold it OK, but about 15 minutes later I happened to glance at the bike and thought it didn't look quite straight. As I went over to the bike and started looking at it closely from a number of angles, I noticed it seemed to be getting worse, until I finally detected a s l o w lean that began to almost imperceptibly pick up speed as the bike got further off center.

Thankfully I was able to grab it and prevent the final act, but I just got lucky that I happened to notice it before I left the garage.

Bottom line for me is that these stands are good to help you position the bike and hold it for you long enough to put tie down straps in place, but I would never trust it without the straps for more than a couple of minutes. :080402gudl_prv:

Goose

I have the "Wheel Dock" and it work great. It can be used on the floor of the garage or mounted on the trailer (using a supplied bracket) and you can trust it to hold the bike upright. Of course if you are going to trailer the bike, you tie it down. This unit is made specific for your bike and tire size; they will call you to get the specifics.

I have the second one, the 97841-1VGA. It sits in my garage and I use it daily when I come home. VERY handy to just roll into it and get off the scoot. Holds the bike very stable and makes working on it much easier than the side stand. Still have the stock tire and the width barely fits in the chock. Pretty handy when I have my friends over for maintenance, the adjustability makes it useful for all kinds of bikes. I would recommend it. Keep your eye out, sometimes HF puts it on sale.

I've got the second one too (97841-1VGA) and it holds the RSV very securely. It's bolted to the floor of my garage and I ride it up on the chock whenever I want to check the oil. If I were going to do any real work to the bike I'd strap it down too, just for safety's sake. It's solidly constructed and for $80 you really can't go wrong. I've also got a Condor chock on my trailer, and I like it because it's easy to remove, but it was a LOT more expensive.

David