IGNORED

Selling a bike - Test Rides?

rdhc

I have been looking for a bike for my daughter. We looked at a Honda shadow 600 (07) that was bought new in 08. I'm 53 and the gentleman that has it for sale looks late 50's. He would not let me test ride it even after a long talk about the bikes we have owned and what I'm riding now. He said that he has a friend that let a stranger test ride a bike he had for sale and the guy went around the corner and then had an accident that cost the owner 1500.00 to repair the bike. The owner said if I bought the bike, then I could ride it--period. Needless to say we thanked him and drove away. I would not buy a used bike without a test ride period. Or new bike for that matter. Of course antique bikes would be an excemption. I could see handing the owner an unsigned certified check or cash till I got back with his bike safe and sound. My insurance covers anyone with a mc indorsment that I have given permission to ride my bike. It also covers me on other bikes that the owner has givin permission for me to ride.The last insurance company that took those options away from me was canned and I got a new ins. co. I can see being fussy, but don't go extreme. Making a long story longer--I almost bought a bike once but luck was with me when I found out from a friend of a friend that the bike had gear problems that the owner was not admitting to.

For what it is worth, I would never let anyone test ride any bike of mine. There are very few people that I would let ride my bike period, let alone a stranger. Dealerships do not allow test rides of motorcycles. However, the manufacturers do have "Test Ride Days" where they have a tractor trailer of every bike they make, which can all be ridden on a huge group ride, you sign the waiver, prove you are licensed, and off you go. I have lead and run sweep on a few of these rides for Yamaha, and our local dealers. I bought my 2006 RSTD without ever riding it. Mind you, I did ride an RSTD and Venture previously at Test Ride Days. I would go out of my way to take the bike to a potential buyers mechanic, but no test rides. Let's be honest, what good is test ride, when what you really want to know is what kind of condition the bike is in. Test rides only tell that they run, and function, things like cracked, bent frames, blown engine components, previous misuse etc, would not "neccesarily" become evident on a test ride. I strongly urge you to also contact your insurance company, I would almost bet that if you allow someone to test ride your bike, and they crash it (their fault or not) you would not be covered.

OK, let's ask this question.....if you were the potential buyer, would you hand over your $10,000 without riding the bike?

I traded my 03 RSV to Buddy and had never even rode a Wing, but that is the exception in my case. Every New bike I have bought I rode before I bought, but I believe I have an exceptional Yamaha Dealer here in Springfield, IL

Are you like one of these "rent to own" places I hear advertized? :think:

RandyA

Nope, but it is a 59 year old bike...

Oh, the potential rider has to start it without any coaching on my part.....

Kick start, tank shift, foot clutch is a little difficult for some...

Oh, there is one sweet spot on the enriching to get it to fire.....

Better watch the timing (adjusted by twisting the left hand grip) or it might throw you over the handlebars................BEFORE you kick it for the first time!

Actually I should sell the bike, but I really don't want to, as how often do you find a 1950 bike from any manufacture for sale??? it would be hard to replace.

Dealerships do not allow test rides of motorcycles.

That may be true where you live... but not here...at least some bikes can be test drove but they won't take a brand new one off the showroom floor and let you demo it. Most dealers here will allow you to test drive any used bike...in fact, they encourage it. All you need is a valid license and proper riding gear.

I was on a poker run one day and one of the stops was at the local Yamaha dealer. They had an FZ1 and I sat on it. A salesman came over and asked me if I wanted to ride it. I wanted to real bad but all my buddies were ready to go. It amazed me that they offered a chance to ride a bike with those capabilities. I was about the only one in there though that was wearing armor.

Dealerships do not allow test rides of motorcycles.

I have bought (new) bikes from 5 different dealers here in Iowa and everyone of them has let me test ride. If the bike is new and has not been prepped yet (gas & oil) they ask if I could come back tomorrow. I have had dealers let me test ride Victories and Harleys "new ones" and knew I had no intention of buying one then.

Must be a where you live thing I guess?

Bryan

asking price in cash, in your hand before a test ride. :canada::canada::canada:

I agree - and if the bike is back in 10 -15 mins in the same shape it left in they can swap it back if they aren't happy with it. You may have the odd person who doesn't like it, but it's a very common and reasonable agreement - if they don't have the cash to do it, there's a good chance they're not serious in the first place.

I didn`t get to ride either of my bikes before I paid for them, my Shadow, I pushed off the stealers floor, never got to ride it untill I got it home.. most stealers will not let you test ride them, my RSV I bought used, the guy would not let me ride it, and I had allready taken out full coverage on it before I bought it...I have a guy coming over to look at my Shadow to buy it, he will not get to ride it untill he pays for it, what if he crashes it??? what if he takes off on it and I have to run him down with the green beast?? sorry, its just not gonna happen..

OK, let's ask this question.....if you were the potential buyer, would you hand over your $10,000 without riding the bike?

Guest tx2sturgis

Best way is to offer the buyer a 4, 8, 12, or 24 hour 'buy back'....assuming its in the same condition as when you sold it.

Unless I'm selling the bike to someone I know, and know well, then the buyer will not be allowed to take MY bike for a test ride. Having said that, I would never BUY a bike I couldnt take for a little ride.

You think thats conflicting? Maybe it is...but the fact is, there is always someone who will buy my bike before they ride it, and there is always someone who will let me ride a bike they have for sale.

... pushed off the stealers floor, never got to ride it untill I got it home.. most stealers will not let you test ride them...

I guess not all dealers have the same thoughts... Here in Lubbock, I stop by the honda dealership often (just to take a gander and what they've got... new and used) and every time I pull up on my bike, I'm greeted and tell them that I'm not looking to buy any time soon, just checking them out. They always say "Okay, let me know if you have any questions". I'll walk around for a few minutes and as soon as I park my keister on a bike the salesman comes back out with the keys (if they arent in the bike) and offers for me to take it for a test drive. I don't even have to ask, and I am very open with the fact that I am just looking!

The yamaha dealer in town, I don't go to as often, but before I bought my Venture, I walked in, was greeted - told them that I was looking at ventures and talked for a few minutes about them. I got on the one in the showroom and he asked if I wanted to test drive one. Again, I didn't ask - it was offered. I told him that it was very unlikely that I would buy a new one, but he said "okay, no big deal - do you want to try it out anyway?" So I took him up on it. He went around back and pulled one around that had 12 miles on it... Literally!

And, mind you, I'm only 24 and EVERY TIME I always tell them that I am just browsing, and they ALWAYS insist. :) :smile5:

I can understand both sides of the issue here. I bought a used bike from a very large used bike dealer in Atlanta and they would not let me test ride. Luckly, the bike turned out being a great bike. While I was in the market for my RSV, I found a used one for sale in south GA. The sales add said "no test rides without cash in hand". After calling and talking to him, I found out he use to own a Kawasaki Vulcan and a potential buyer dropped it in his driveway. Another thing to consider is if you let a potiential buyer test ride your bike and they get seriously hurt or killed, you might find yourself in a law suit. On the other hand, most people would be weary about spending a lot of money without test riding...... especially from an individual vs a dealer...... a dealer has his reputation to maintain while an individual may not value his reputation as highly as you would expect a dealer to. With all this said, I think the best way to go is as previously stated........cash in hand with some sort of time limit of a refund if the bike is still in same shape it was in when they orginally bought it. That way if they get hurt or kill themselves on the bike, technically it was their bike and you are free and clear of law suits and they are protected if they find something they don't like about the bike.

Show the bike without a tag on it, your not telling the person you don't trust them, your telling them it's not legal to drive the bike all over town. If you live in the country maybe take it up the road a mile if you really trust the guy. If not do the 2 hr. contract of buying it back if there's something wrong with it after selling. It's a touchy thing with sport bikes.