IGNORED

tire hash

pakidaho

No doubt this has been hashed over more than a few times, yet in searching through threads I am not really finding the answer to my question. So here it is.

I have a 05 RSTD have been running stock tire Bridgstone Excedra and getting less then six thousand miles on the rear. So now it is time once again to replace last seasons rear tire. I have seen folks using the Venom, and the E 3. The specified tire size is 150/90 HR 15.

Can not seem to find the Elite 3 in that size.

So then what tires are other RSTD riders using and are they HR rated, how are your tires working out mileage wise during longer trips etc.

We do pull a small trailer as well, over pretty much all road conditions, including an occasional dirt stretch.

Since I used up the original Dunlops, I have run ME880s and am super happy. Get about 18K on the rear and more on the front, but can't remember how much more.

I run the original type Bridgestone Exedra tires (V rated)on my V-Max that came on it. I got over 10K on the first rear and have about the same on this one. Got about 2K more miles left in it. Other V-Maxer can't believe it because they get 4-5K on their rear tires. But I'm no tire smoker either, so am pleased with my results.

I find the Bridgestones and the Dunlops to be harder tires, so I prefer the ME880s.

Only reason I don't run the ME880s (H rated) on the Max is that if I sold the bike, it would have the correct recommended tires on it. But, really, for me, the H rated would be more than adequate.

Love the MEs. Got them on my V Star too.

I would not be afraid to run the E3s,but I choose the Avon Venom because it has a higher load rating on the back tire. NO WAY will I EVER run Metz 880s on THESE bikes,They run hotte and MANY have had chunks of rubber coming off of the 880s.On the other hand a few on here run the 880s and have not had a problem but I will never take that chance again. (Mine had 1700 when they started chunkin rubber). Now some say the Avons do not "stick" well.I havnt found that to be the case .

Also, of note, the D404 series Dunlops, are not same quality as the E-3 Series.

Most average milage reports from the D-404 is + or - 8K,

The E-3 series, some folks have reported over 20K.

I ran an E-2 (previous model ) to about 22K, still no tread showing. I think the lowest milage report is about 15k. ( at least that I have seen )

The E-3 is Dunlops tire for the Gold Wing, heavy tankers !!!

The cost more, but are well worth the extra bucks. The D404's are good tires for a bike that weighs 500 or less lb. and one rider.

As to the Metz's, well just to many reports of chunking out.

Also, of note, the D404 series Dunlops, are not same quality as the E-3 Series.

Most average milage reports from the D-404 is + or - 8K,

The E-3 series, some folks have reported over 20K.

I ran an E-2 (previous model ) to about 22K, still no tread showing. I think the lowest milage report is about 15k. ( at least that I have seen )

The E-3 is Dunlops tire for the Gold Wing, heavy tankers !!!

The cost more, but are well worth the extra bucks. The D404's are good tires for a bike that weighs 500 or less lb. and one rider.

As to the Metz's, well just to many reports of chunking out.

Thanks for the heads up about the ME880s chunking out. Never heard about those problems, but I'll be watching mine. I do all my own maintenance and change my own tires, so I keep a close eye on my bike. I also check my air pressures every few days and keep my tires well aired up. We all know low air pressure can heat them up quickly, setting them up for early demise.

The guy that turned me on to the ME880s had them on a 1999 Road Star which he bought new and personally rode over 160,000 miles.

His wife rode everywhere with him while he also pulled a trailer configuration all over the USA. I called the set up, "the wagon train". It was a made up of a short tongue leading to an axle. In the center of the axle was a trailer ball. He connected his Bunkhouse camper to this hitch. That way, he kept the Bunkhouse's tongue weight off his bike. So, in short, he was pulling two trailers. Don't know if I would have done that, but it worked well for him.

He would have put many more miles on that bike, but was diagnosed with cancer in 2004. So, knowing his time was short, he purchased an 1800 Wing and triked it out for his wife to ride after he died, which happened 15 months later.

If this guy ever told you something, you could take it to the bank. He researched everything about motorcycling constantly.

Thanks to your comments, I'll still keep a yet closer eye on my tires from now on.

Rusty, while I agree with you that the Metzeler tires are great handling tires and I used to love them, I will never use them again. I ran 3 sets of Metz tires. Two of the three lost chunks of rubber. Metz customer service was indifferent to the problem and accused those who complain about them that they are not using the proper air pressure, which in my case was baloney. You should monitor the rear tire for and bubble formation and/or those "points" or triangular grooves on the rear tire lifting/cracking or just completely missing.

i had the venoms on my rstd. 130 in the front and had 12000,00 miles on them when i got rid of the bike. and still had plenty of tread. i do spend alot of miles on the side walls so i never get excessive center wear. i won't run anything but avons on my road bikes. getting ready to put one on the front of my wing. love them avons. :2133:

Rusty, while I agree with you that the Metzeler tires are great handling tires and I used to love them, I will never use them again. I ran 3 sets of Metz tires. Two of the three lost chunks of rubber. Metz customer service was indifferent to the problem and accused those who complain about them that they are not using the proper air pressure, which in my case was baloney. You should monitor the rear tire for and bubble formation and/or those "points" or triangular grooves on the rear tire lifting/cracking or just completely missing.

And that's why I love this forum. Info from many personal experiences.

Thanks.

I've about used up the third ME880 on the back. I get a little over 14k american on them and haven't had any problems with chunking out.

If the price is comparable, I am going to try an AVON next (probably in a couple weeks). I here they are quieter, just from what I've read here. The biggest reason for trying a different brand is, the ME880 gets scalloped looking after about 10k. The center tread area ends stick out from the sidewall tread and gets noisy in the corners. Maybe the Venom will not do that, anyone know???

:2cents: Scooter Bob

I've about used up the third ME880 on the back. I get a little over 14k american on them and haven't had any problems with chunking out.

If the price is comparable, I am going to try an AVON next (probably in a couple weeks). I here they are quieter, just from what I've read here. The biggest reason for trying a different brand is, the ME880 gets scalloped looking after about 10k. The center tread area ends stick out from the sidewall tread and gets noisy in the corners. Maybe the Venom will not do that, anyone know???

:2cents: Scooter Bob

I have right at 16000 on my rear Avon and looks great but have ordered new as I am not gonna take them much farther..Still nearly 1/4 in tread on it. Tom ( I dont ride real aggressive and I use ride-on..maybe thats why they look good??)