IGNORED

throttle cables

Bigshow

Huh, 2 throttle cables? Are they setup as 1 operates 2 carbs and 1 operates the other 2? Or are they setup in a push-pull fashion? I thought I broke them but the 1 on the backside of the handle bar seems too be fine, the 1 on the frontside was still attached but out of it's cable channel in the grip. I can push that cable but it won't let me pull. And that is why I'm asking the 1st question. Or is it just broke.

4-Stroke Engines are always Push/Pull Throttle Cables.

i think you need to open the Junction Box, if your Bike has Cruise Control, or adjust the Cable to more Slack at the Adjuster at the Nadlebar and the Carb Side temporarily until you got the Ends meet.

Bikes have had a push cable on the throttle for many years now, and it has nothing to do with whether it has a cruise control or not. Most bikes don't have a CC, but all bikes have two cables. It's a safetycrat item, only put there for lawyers. Some folks have been known to take the push cable off. It doesn't do anything anyway. It's interesting that the cruise control servo on this bike doesn't have a push cable. All that is needed is the pull cable.

Edited by pegscraper

By the way shouldn't my bike, if it had cruise, have a button to set it? Because it doesn't anywhere that I've seen.

My mistake, Bigshow. Since you don't put your bike in the post header with your avatar like most, I don't know what you have. I assumed it was an RSV, which all have cruise.

Goose

Bikes have had a push cable on the throttle for many years now, and it has nothing to do with whether it has a cruise control or not. Most bikes don't have a CC, but all bikes have two cables. It's a safetycrat item, only put there for lawyers. Some folks have been known to take the push cable off. It doesn't do anything anyway. It's interesting that the cruise control servo on this bike doesn't have a push cable. All that is needed is the pull cable.

Pegscraper, don't be so sure of the things you don't understand. All bikes do not have two throttle cables. Yes, many bikes have had them for years, both with and without cruise control. The second cable is generally not actually needed, but it does provide a minor increase in safety should the throttle return spring at the carb break, then the reverse cable allows the twist grip to force the throttle closed instead of relying on the no-longer functioning spring to do that.

The specific design of a cruise control on a cable operated throttle will dictate if two throttle cables are actually necessary. In the case of the RSV, they are. Since the throttle cables are not enclosed where they connect to the carb linkage, if some force other than the twist grip pulls open the throttle, the main activating cable from the grip would loose tension and come off the cam, possibly allowing the cable end to slip completely out. In fact, this is exactly what you do with your fingers to remove the cable! By having the second cable pulling on the throttle as the linkage turns from the cruise control, the tension on the main cable is maintained so that it cannot come out of the track or loose from the cam. Note that I am not trying to describe the entire function of our cruise control, nor have I mentioned the cable junction box where the cruise activating cable connects - I am simply giving you enough information to understand that the second cable connected to the throttle linkage on the RSV IS necessary and actually does something.

Federal law in the US or EU may now require dual throttle cables on new bikes - I really have no idea, but they certainly have not always been required.

Goose

The reason I don't have an avitar is, since I got laid off a month ago I canceled my regular internet and have been accessing the web with my cellphone. I can still get my email, internet, or some form of it, and cell service cheaper than using the computer. So either the smartphone isn't so smart, or the user isn't too smart. That's why I'm sort of hoping my user profile would take care of that problem. btw do u guys no how hard it is 2 keep up with your puters with this little keypad? LoL

I just checked your profile and it doesn't show that you have an avatar uploaded or selected. Posting from your cell phone shouldn't make any difference, the info is pulled from your profile.

Did you create a new profile? If so, what was your old username that did have an avatar, I could merge them.

Guest tx2sturgis
Pegscraper, don't be so sure of the things you don't understand. All bikes do not have two throttle cables.

Federal law in the US or EU may now require dual throttle cables on new bikes - I really have no idea, but they certainly have not always been required.

Goose

DOT specs for almost all street-legal vehicles have required TWO independent means of returning the throttle to idle, and this has been the case for decades...I'm not gonna search for it, but trust me, its been a long time. The manufactures can use either 2 return springs, which we all remember from working on automotive carburetors, or in the case of a bike, they can use 2 return springs, OR, an idle cable AND one return spring.

Pegscraper, don't be so sure of the things you don't understand.

Yeah, whatever. If the thing needs two cables, then why does the servo only use one cable? And how do some people successfully take them off? This and a couple other recent issues here goose, you've really shown your true colors. You are nothing but a clanging gong in my ear.

Yeah, whatever. If the thing needs two cables, then why does the servo only use one cable? And how do some people successfully take them off? This and a couple other recent issues here goose, you've really shown your true colors. You are nothing but a clanging gong in my ear.

Pegscraper, The answers to most of your questions are already in my posts above and those of others. I will continue to ignore your personal attacks on me, as they are of no consequence. On the slight chance you actually want an answer to the question about the cruise cable, I will provide it.

The cruise actuating cable from the vacuum pump (there is no "servo" as that word is commonly used) to the cable junction box under the tank on the RSV is connected to a plastic wheel that only engages the main throttle cable when the cruise cable is pulled from the pump. When the throttle is turned from the grip it does not move the cruise cable wheel, thus that particular cable is never pushed back nor does it ever loose tension. If the cruise is engaged and you try to slow the bike down by turning down the throttle with the twist grip, it does engage the cruise cable wheel, but the tension on the cruise cable is maintained by the cruise vacuum pump attempting to overcome your reduced throttle setting until the speed falls by 5 MPH which causes the cruise to disengage and the cruise cable is returned to the resting position.

Goose

I just checked your profile and it doesn't show that you have an avatar uploaded or selected. Posting from your cell phone shouldn't make any difference, the info is pulled from your profile.

Did you create a new profile? If so, what was your old username that did have an avatar, I could merge them.

Well, this is the first and only profile for this site. But the problem I'm having is getting a pic from this phone to my profile, I've tried.

Well, this is the first and only profile for this site. But the problem I'm having is getting a pic from this phone to my profile, I've tried.

Bigshow, if you can email the picture to me as an attachment I will size it appropriately and put it in your profile. In addition to the avatar, you might consider adding your bike information to the Custom User Title in your profile. That way someone can see what bike your posts are probably referencing if you don't care to include the details every time.

Goose

Those questions were rhetorical, which for those of you in Rio Linda, that means that they don't really require an answer because the answers are obvious. The fact that you answered them in such detail is really quite funny. In case you're still missing it, the point of the questions was that all that is needed to operate the throttle is the pull cable. Some of us have removed the push cable and it miraculously still works. When you're in your car with the cruise control on and you want to slow down, do you actually reach down and pull up on the gas pedal or wish that the capability were there to do so? (Warning: rhetorical question here. See above.) I touch the brakes or hit the off switch myself.

Tell me I don't know what I'm talking about and you better be able to take a bucketful, bud.

I will not be opening this thread any more. You have nothing worthwhile to say. You reply and it will be for everyone else. Go ahead and have the last word. I don't care. This is the end of this for me.

Pegscraper, I am very sorry that you take such umbrage when your lack of knowledge and understanding is pointed out. I did not do that in this thread deliberately to upset you, and this forum has absolutely no place for public arguments and discussions about personalities; THAT'S why you got the PM. If this was an inconsequential issue I would have simply ignored it rather than upset you.

Unfortunately, it is NOT inconsequential. In fact, the misinformation you provided is quite dangerous to any owner of an RSV who does not already understand that you do not know what you are talking about. So it is good that you realize my posts here are not for your benefit. If any RSV owner should choose to remover EITHER the upper or lower throttle return cable (commonly but incorrectly referenced as the "push" cable), they put themselves in considerable danger if they attempt to use the cruise control. And THAT is more important than your personal feelings.

Goose