IGNORED

Anyone have pics of their GPS mounted?

Who Dey

I'm thinking of getting a GPS and was wanting to see one mounted on your Venture. Also any advise on where to get mounting brackets etc would be greatly appreciated. I am thinking about going with a Garmin 450 or 550 maybe. Thanks.

The most common location for the Zumo is to mount it on either the brake reservoir clamp or the clutch reservoir clamp. This mount is supplied with the Zumo. It is very solid and keeps it out of the way of the controls. It also keeps it within the cone of protection provided by the windshield.

I will need to get some pics this weekend to show.

RR

Guest Lightnen
I'm thinking of getting a GPS and was wanting to see one mounted on your Venture. Also any advise on where to get mounting brackets etc would be greatly appreciated. I am thinking about going with a Garmin 450 or 550 maybe. Thanks.

I just got my mount here yesturday and haven't gotten to putting it on as yet. This addy will have mounts for any GPS you might purchase (I thinks) I've got a TomTom here..

http://www.ram-mount.com/ramgps.htm

I just ordered one from CycleGadgets.com it was 51.58 that inculded shipping. I called them and they were very helpful in ordering the correct mounting system.

Hope this helps.

Edited by SteveB

Thanks for the pics guys. Where is the best place to get one at and about (ball park) what kind of price can i expect to pay for one?

One what? Mount or GPS? The Gps can be had for any where from $50.00 to 350.00! Mounts are generally specific to your GPS

Unless you are like me(super cheap), capable of making what you cannot afford to buy then RAM mounts are really tough to beat for selection and pricing. My wife always shops Amazon, not just for baseline pricing but to read reviews of products, and that alone has shaped the way we buy things.

I have a handlebar mount with my $99.00 Magellan maestro 3100. and it was a waste of money. you cant see the screen in sunlight. You need to get one of the motorcycle specific ones or one that has a daylight readable screen. All of the cheapie GPS's do not have sunlight readable screens.

That said, mount it to the right handlebar. I did it on the left and when I have to touch it, I have to stop, find neutral, then mess with the GPS. on the right you can hold in the clutch and push buttons or the screen without havign to turn off the bike or find neutral.

The Garmin Zumo 450/550 will currently cost about $400 to $700 depending on which model and where you get it. However, if you wait a month or so, these prices should drop. Garmin is introducing the 660 (bigger screen, some additional features). This should drop the prices of the previous models. The 660 was supposed to be released already, but it appears to have been pushed back a month. We should see it on the market by May.

The only differences between the 450 and the 550 are the 550 has:

1) Bluetooth (mono)

2) MP3 player

3) XM expansion capabilities

4) SD card expansion for additional POIs (points of interest), pictures, MP3 files (tunes or 'books on tape')

5) Still a current product (Garmin has obsoleted the 450).

The 660 is supposed to have, in addition to the features of the 550:

1) Bluetooth stereo

2) Voice activation for trip planning/modifying

3) Larger screen

4) Flatter profile

The 550 has proven itself to be reliable, rugged GPS. It is not cheap at $500+, but comes with mounts for both motorcycle and cage, wiring for both motorcycle and cage, and software.

Up to this point, it is the benchmark all other motorcycle GPSs are measured against. Not saying there aren't other GPS units that wouldn't fit your requirements. But, the 550 has a great overall track record. I have been very pleased with mine - both in the cage and on the bike.

RR

One what? Mount or GPS? The Gps can be had for any where from $50.00 to 350.00! Mounts are generally specific to your GPS

Unless you are like me(super cheap), capable of making what you cannot afford to buy then RAM mounts are really tough to beat for selection and pricing. My wife always shops Amazon, not just for baseline pricing but to read reviews of products, and that alone has shaped the way we buy things.

GPS

The Garmin Zumo 450/550 will currently cost about $400 to $700 depending on which model and where you get it. However, if you wait a month or so, these prices should drop. Garmin is introducing the 660 (bigger screen, some additional features). This should drop the prices of the previous models. The 660 was supposed to be released already, but it appears to have been pushed back a month. We should see it on the market by May.

The only differences between the 450 and the 550 are the 550 has:

1) Bluetooth (mono)

2) MP3 player

3) XM expansion capabilities

4) SD card expansion for additional POIs (points of interest), pictures, MP3 files (tunes or 'books on tape')

5) Still a current product (Garmin has obsoleted the 450).

The 660 is supposed to have, in addition to the features of the 550:

1) Bluetooth stereo

2) Voice activation for trip planning/modifying

3) Larger screen

4) Flatter profile

The 550 has proven itself to be reliable, rugged GPS. It is not cheap at $500+, but comes with mounts for both motorcycle and cage, wiring for both motorcycle and cage, and software.

Up to this point, it is the benchmark all other motorcycle GPSs are measured against. Not saying there aren't other GPS units that wouldn't fit your requirements. But, the 550 has a great overall track record. I have been very pleased with mine - both in the cage and on the bike.

RR

A friend of mine has the 550 but i think the 450 would actually suit my needs.

A friend of mine has the 550 but i think the 450 would actually suit my needs.

Please keep in mind the 450 has been obsoleted by Garmin. If you buy one, it may be used, refirbed, or NOS (new - old stock). Make sure of the warranty. These have had been known to just stop functioning (as will all electronic equipment). Garmin customer service is excellent and they get the problem taken care of quickly. Just make sure this service is available to you - if you need it.

RR