IGNORED

What tires?

Guest JerryCPP

Guest JerryCPP

I'm new to the forum, but not to my '83 Venture. It's tire time again, but Metzler dropped the ME-88 that gave me such good milage. The Dunlop I have on the rear now got less than 1/3 the milage of the Metzler. What is a good tire for tire milage? I ride one-up, seldom in rain, and am always careful on takeoff and stopping. Metzler ME-88 = a little over 20,000 on the rear. The Dunlop Arrrow Max GT-501 is nearly bald after 6800 miles. Thanks for any replies.

Keep scrolling down on this page and you will see many many posts regarding tires.

It seems the general consensus for the group is the Avon venom. I have em on my 89 and really like em. There are many happy with other brands as well.

Read real good on the metz though....some are reporting chunks falling off!

I have an '89 and I've been running ME880s. I'm on my third rear averaging 20k and the front is still good. I'll be changing that with the next rear. I've had no trouble at all out of the tires. The Metzler site doesn't list the '83-'85 VR but I would check to see if the ME880 has the right size.

If i wanted long lasting tires, front Avon Venoms and rear Continental Conti-Tour. I like the white wall look and have a supply of Dunlop front 291 NW (old) and Dunlop rear 402 MU85 NW. How ever either combo will drag my drivers foot pegs.

• 4 weeks later...

I just put Dunlop 491 Elite IIs on my 86 as they are a high mileage tire & strong enough for the BIG bikes. But they can be tough to find.

However, they are a harder rubber [higher mileage], but with the harder tire, you do lose some grip in rain, braking, cornering, etc.

Go with a softer tread & get less mileage, but increased traction.

A trade off either way.

Look up the tire codes on another thread to get right weight/speed rating.

Then decide on endurance / performance issues.

• 3 weeks later...

Put a Continental on my RSV in Moab, Utah. Rode to LA, then Seattle, and back to Northern Wyoming. Less than 3000 miles, and it was toast. Belts were broken in two places and tread was to the cords. Riding solo with 350 pound trailer. Lots of lip service from Continenal was cutting into my riding time. Put on Mettzler 880's. Now have about 2000 miles on them with no appreciable wear.

I run ME-880's on my 84, have noticed the center tread is fine and smooth, front and back, but the outside treads are below the center surface, also some cupping on the outer treads on the front. Just tightened up headstock bearings last week, rode 170 + miles today, same effect still there. Didn't notice any handling problems, but bike wavered 3-5"s across the road at slower than 50 mph. Been happy with these tires so far, twice in the rain, no problems. Will have stealer check condition of tires and give me pointers (sorry, not a stealer, but a parts and gear dealer, very reputable). Good luck in your choice!

Dan

I'm new to the forum, but not to my '83 Venture. It's tire time again, but Metzler dropped the ME-88 that gave me such good milage. The Dunlop I have on the rear now got less than 1/3 the milage of the Metzler. What is a good tire for tire milage? I ride one-up, seldom in rain, and am always careful on takeoff and stopping. Metzler ME-88 = a little over 20,000 on the rear. The Dunlop Arrrow Max GT-501 is nearly bald after 6800 miles. Thanks for any replies.

I just got a Metzler ME880 put on my bike two weeks ago at the local HD Stealership. They still have two more in stock. So far it feel mush better than the Avon I had on the rear.

I run ME-880's on my 84, have noticed the center tread is fine and smooth, front and back, but the outside treads are below the center surface, also some cupping on the outer treads on the front. Just tightened up headstock bearings last week, rode 170 + miles today, same effect still there. Didn't notice any handling problems, but bike wavered 3-5"s across the road at slower than 50 mph. Been happy with these tires so far, twice in the rain, no problems. Will have stealer check condition of tires and give me pointers (sorry, not a stealer, but a parts and gear dealer, very reputable). Good luck in your choice!

Dan

Think I would check the air pressure, sounds like they are under inflated.

Can't say that I have ever seen the outsides wear first. Sometimes if you ride a highway with a high crown to the center one side will wear more then other places on the tire.

Jerry