IGNORED

Starts but won't keep running

Guest Brian Doerner

Guest Brian Doerner

I hope someone can help me - I brought my 85 VR out of storage recently and changed a starter that went last year (probably from driving thru torrential rains and hail last summer)(too close to the tornado!). I got the bike last year and I love it - I've fixed many things so far and want to get back to tip top shape - it's got GOBS of power.

I removed the air cleaner and squirted some fuel into the carbs to get it started rite up!! Happy was I ! but it kept stalling. It will start and run on all cylinders when I squirt gas into it but it won't stay running. I hear and feel the fuel pump make a small noise and feel a bump when I turn the key on so I think it's working. The fuel filter is new as of last year and its transparent - I see white on the left side and orangy with fuel on the rite. The fuel gauge says it's full. I put Stabil gas stabiliser in it before winter. I looked for hours last nite on this site and read a lot of different posts and now I'm really confused as what to do first. I don't want to take it to the same dealer that wanted $1000.00 to fix my starter!!!!! I got it fixed for $107.35 - WHEW!

I thot I'd be driving it home yesterday:doh:

I used to have the same problem with my '85 the first time I started it after winter storage. I just kept squirting some gas down the intake...a little at a time...until it eventually would respond to the throttle. Make sure the choke is fully on and don't try to crank the throttle for a while...just let it idle on it's own.

Another thing is to ensure the battery is fully charged.

Get some Seafoam and put some in the gas tank. You could also have bad gas from sitting in storage over the winter. I also store my gas engines with Seafoam in the gas and havent had any issue getting them to restart when I needed them. Seafoam will also clean out some of the gunk in the carbs and is recommended by alot of people here on the site.

You should be able to find it in some of the better auto parts stores.

Rick F.

I hope someone can help me - I brought my 85 VR out of storage recently and changed a starter that went last year (probably from driving thru torrential rains and hail last summer)(too close to the tornado!). I got the bike last year and I love it - I've fixed many things so far and want to get back to tip top shape - it's got GOBS of power.

I removed the air cleaner and squirted some fuel into the carbs to get it started rite up!! Happy was I ! but it kept stalling. It will start and run on all cylinders when I squirt gas into it but it won't stay running. I hear and feel the fuel pump make a small noise and feel a bump when I turn the key on so I think it's working. The fuel filter is new as of last year and its transparent - I see white on the left side and orangy with fuel on the rite. The fuel gauge says it's full. I put Stabil gas stabiliser in it before winter. I looked for hours last nite on this site and read a lot of different posts and now I'm really confused as what to do first. I don't want to take it to the same dealer that wanted $1000.00 to fix my starter!!!!! I got it fixed for $107.35 - WHEW!

I thot I'd be driving it home yesterday:doh:

OK, you've had all day to work on it !!! Did you get it running ??????

I had to fight with my '83 for an hour or so last weekend, but I was eventually sucessful. All the suggestions above are good. If it runs when being manually fed fuel to the carbs, you don't have an ignition issue. It's the supply or the fuel itself. We just need to find out which.

Cracking open a bowl drain will ensure you are getting gas to the carbs. If you are not, I would move onto (a) the filter being clogged (b) the fuel delivery system (pump).

If there is gas in the bowls, you could have some of the primary jets in your carbs clogged. A liberal spray of carb cleaner may help. If that seems to improve it slightly, but not completely, you might have to pop the carbs right off and do a good manual cleaning (sounds nasty, but it isn't all that bad). You might want to try feeding the carbs with a mix of fresh gas and Seafoam to see if that helps burn the gunk out of the jet passages (dried gas leaves an ugly "varnish", which has the consistency of tar).

If you can keep it running for a few minutes by hand feeding to get it warm, but it still won't go on it's own, I would say it might just be your old gas... Dunno.

I'm not all that far away from you (45 min)... if the weather improves (we had an inch of snow this morning), I can ride up and take a look. I am no whiz, but I am used to persuading Yamaha's to come back to life. Feel free to send a PM.

Good luck !

Guest Brian Doerner
OK hubby says to make sure the fuel cutoff is in the on position.

If it is, loosen the 6 phillips head screws on the front of the fuel pump with the key on. Possible that pump is vapor locking.

Margaret

Uh ................ Fuel cut off? I never used it - don't know where it is either.

thanx tho.

Guest Brian Doerner
You could also open up a drain screw on one of the carbs and check for fuel flow with the key on.

Dan

I will try that tomorrow if the F'**kin' snow goes away. Thanx.

Guest Brian Doerner
Get some Seafoam and put some in the gas tank. You could also have bad gas from sitting in storage over the winter. I also store my gas engines with Seafoam in the gas and havent had any issue getting them to restart when I needed them. Seafoam will also clean out some of the gunk in the carbs and is recommended by alot of people here on the site.

Rick F.

Thanx - I will get sum and try it.

Guest Brian Doerner
Normally when you turn the key on you hear a tic,tic,tic,tic as the fuel pump presurizes the fuel line with gas to the carbs. possible that the fuel line from the pump to the fuel rail on the carbs is kinked causing the engine to starve for fuel when running.

I don't know how it get kinked cause it ran great before winter but I'll check anyway - Thanx

Guest Brian Doerner
OK, you've had all day to work on it !!! Did you get it running ??????

I was working all day till about 30 minutes ago. When I woke up to snow I lost the fire to get going - I gotta work on it in an unheated barn or outside( depending who is there) - and the wind chill at -5 ...I wasn't driving it home today anyway.:snow2:

Brian, fuel petcock (shutoff) valve is directly above the right rear passenger footpeg. Make sure it is either on reserve or on position (up and down). Check to see if you hear the fuel pump run for approx. 5 seconds when you first turn the key on (tat-tat-tat-etc). If you do not hear this, then problem is related to the fuel pump. There is a cut-off relay that will shutoff the fuel pump if the engine doesn't start within a certain amount of time. If you can, download the service manual from the 1st gen tech library under "Forums" at the top of the page here. It is invaluable to you in working on your bike.

Since the bike runs with fuel sprayed down the throats. The problem has to be related to the fuel system.

If the fuel pump is running, then pull the air box off and disconnect the fuel line coming from the pump (red braided line coming to the fuel rail right in the middle of the carbs). Put it in a bottle to catch the fuel then turn on the key for 3 or so seconds. This will check fuel flow up to that point.

If you do not have fuel flow, it is possible that sediment has clogged the fuel petcock screen and fuel is not reaching the fuel pump.

If you have fuel flow, then re-attach the line and open up one of the drain screws (phillips head screw located to the lower right rear of each carb). The rubber hoses sticking out the frame of the carbs is the drain hose. Turn the key on again and check for fuel flow out of each hose as you open them up. Remember the "time-out" factor on the fuel pump. Either cycle the key or the kill switch to reset the kill relay.

If you have fuel flow out of the drain holes, then it's possible that your pilot jets are plugged.

Have someone assist you while you start the bike with the fuel down the throat and try to open up the throttle or turn the "choke" on while it's running. If it runs then, you have plugged up pilot jets.

Good luck, and please report to us what you have found at each stage. We can better assist you this way.

Dan

Guest Brian Doerner
Does it run with choke on or if you hold some throttle? If it runs with the choke on or if you give it hold some throttle I would look at the pilot jets being plugged.

No it won't run on choke with throttle - it runs on the gas that I squirt into the carbs and that's all - thanx tho - I phoned the last owner - he said he had problems every spring - he never even took out the battery - he did NOTHING for winterizing and he said he wud use QuikStart - and that wud work - but that stuff is too flammable for me - very explosive. He said he'd keep squirting gas into it witha bottle and it wud eventually come alive on it's own - I'll try sum new gas and Seafoam if I can find it - then try his method first.

Guest Brian Doerner
Brian, fuel petcock (shutoff) valve is directly above the right rear passenger footpeg. Make sure it is either on reserve or on position (up and down). Check to see if you hear the fuel pump run for approx. 5 seconds when you first turn the key on (tat-tat-tat-etc). If you do not hear this, then problem is related to the fuel pump. There is a cut-off relay that will shutoff the fuel pump if the engine doesn't start within a certain amount of time. If you can, download the service manual from the 1st gen tech library under "Forums" at the top of the page here. It is invaluable to you in working on your bike.

Since the bike runs with fuel sprayed down the throats. The problem has to be related to the fuel system.

If the fuel pump is running, then pull the air box off and disconnect the fuel line coming from the pump (red braided line coming to the fuel rail right in the middle of the carbs). Put it in a bottle to catch the fuel then turn on the key for 3 or so seconds. This will check fuel flow up to that point.

If you do not have fuel flow, it is possible that sediment has clogged the fuel petcock screen and fuel is not reaching the fuel pump.

If you have fuel flow, then re-attach the line and open up one of the drain screws (phillips head screw located to the lower right rear of each carb). The rubber hoses sticking out the frame of the carbs is the drain hose. Turn the key on again and check for fuel flow out of each hose as you open them up. Remember the "time-out" factor on the fuel pump. Either cycle the key or the kill switch to reset the kill relay.

If you have fuel flow out of the drain holes, then it's possible that your pilot jets are plugged.

Have someone assist you while you start the bike with the fuel down the throat and try to open up the throttle or turn the "choke" on while it's running. If it runs then, you have plugged up pilot jets.

Good luck, and please report to us what you have found at each stage. We can better assist you this way.

Dan

Thanx so much - U guys and this site is amazing! I did not know how to do any of this.

I will copy and print this and take it out to the bike and see what I get. I did not get a tat - tat - tat from the fuel pump - is there a fuse? I did not know about a time out - etc etc. I'll get back to ya when I get sum answers.

Blue with black stripe is pump feed coming from fuel pump relay. You will find the relay and fuel control unit behind the headlight. Check ohms between the Red/White and the Blue/White at the relay. You should have continuity through the coil. Turn the key on and check for voltage also.

The connector for the fuel pump is along the left rear frame rail. you'll find it strapped along the vertical portion. Make sure it isn't corroded.When you first turn the key on, you should have 12 volts present here. If you have voltage here, then problem is with the fuel pump and it'll have to come off.

Dan

• 3 weeks later...
Guest Brian Doerner

Rick F.

Thanx Rick - I added premium gas and Seafoam - squirted sum in the carbs and after 20 seconds or so it ran on it's own - after a minute or two it was running great!

I drove it home today - Happy am I.!

Brian

Guest Brian Doerner
Blue with black stripe is pump feed coming from fuel pump relay. You will find the relay and fuel control unit behind the headlight. Check ohms between the Red/White and the Blue/White at the relay. You should have continuity through the coil. Turn the key on and check for voltage also.

The connector for the fuel pump is along the left rear frame rail. you'll find it strapped along the vertical portion. Make sure it isn't corroded.When you first turn the key on, you should have 12 volts present here. If you have voltage here, then problem is with the fuel pump and it'll have to come off.

Dan

Thanx for your advice Dan - I thot I'd try the easy route first - I added premium gas and Seafoam - squirted sum in the carbs and after 20 seconds or so it ran on it's own - after a minute or two it was running great!

I drove it home today - Happy am I.!

Brian