IGNORED

ipod mount

Bubbajbi

This is the cheapest and easiest ipod mount that I have found. It cost me about $9 for the case and I had the hose clamp in my tool box. Here is how to do it.

1. Use a razor blade to cut out the soft lining in the back of the ipod case directly behind the circle cut out of the face of the case.

2. Open the case and lay it flat on it's face.

3. Mark and cut two horizontal slots on the back of the case about 1/2" apart and about 1" long. Try to center the slots where you removed the soft lining. (I used a dremmel with a cutting wheel to cut the slots. They do not need to be wide, just completely through the metal)

4. Use a grinding attachment to smooth out the rough edges on the slots. (This step is important! It will prevent scratches on your handlebars and ipod.)

5. From the INSIDE of the case, push on the piece of metal between the two slots that you just cut. You don't have to push hard, just enough so that you can feed the hose clamp through them.

6. Feed the hose clamp end through one slot from the back and out the other slot and then feed it around the handlebars.

7. Adjust to final mounting position and clamp down tight.

I have attached some pics below. I hope they help.

Here is the link for the case although I found mine at Walmart so I did not have to pay the s&h. Check there before you order online. I have the 2nd gen ipod nano.

1st gen ipod Nano: http://www.accstation.com/dappnanolc18.html

2nd gen ipod Nano: http://www.accstation.com/dappnanolc52.html

30g-80g ipod: http://www.accstation.com/dappipodca23.html

:080402gudl_prv:

My Son just gave me one of these things and I don't know much about it at all. I am not sure if it is a G2 or what but it holds 4gig of Music. I have a short 3' cable to hook into the radio and I tried it and it does work. I like your Idea of mounting it to the bars that way. Could you tell me how to load music on this thing as I sure don't like his type of music. I have mp3's on the computer I would like to load up but don't know how and neither does he since he bought it used. I do have the USB cable for it too!

Dog

Dog you should have a cd for the ipod to download the needed software to download music. once you have in on the PC you can load music to the ipod or purchase music from the i pod store.

Well that puts me outa luck because we didn't get the CD with it! Just the I-Pod and USB cable. We found the 1/8" jack cable here around the house to connect to the radio. I sure would like a copy of the CD if someone has one available or could burn me one?

Dog

Here is an idea, just put the iPod in your pocket and reach in to change songs.

If I do not have my first gen shuffle hanging off the faux tank cover rack, I put it in my pocket. Sometimes I just leave it under the cassette cover and let it play what comes next.

The wife puts her 3rd gen 20 gig click wheel in her pocket and reaches in to change songs. She sits on the back so she can also pull it out to look at the screen if she needs to.

After a few days use, you should have it mastered with your fingers without even looking.

Kewl low cost idea for mounting it on the handle bars though.

A note on iPod's and Vibration. Our iPods are the larger video iPod version and they have a tiny little computer hard drive spinning away inside. That's why that can hold 30 or 80 Gigs of music. The problem is the vibration of the bike causes these little buggers to lockup every so often. On our trip to Chicago mine locked up about 5 times in one day. The iPod Nano and Shuffles are different. They use flash memory and they may not be affected by vibration. So, mounting the iPod to the handle bars is a BAD idea. I thought that putting it in the tank bib pouch with a little cushion under it would help, but no such luck.

I bought a 6' cord at Radio Shack so my wife could run the iPod from her seat, but the cord is about a foot too short when you run it under the seats to get it out of the way. I'm going to look for a short extension cord to make this work. Another option is maybe buying an armband and mounting it to your arm at an angle that you can then use the controls. I also noticed that the tank bib pouch on the Hopnel tank bib isn't sewn down all the around the base of the pouch. An iPod arm band would fit wrapped around the pouch and that might give it more protection from vibration. I have not tried that yet.

I really do not see anyway other way to mount the large iPods to the bike with out shaking it to death.

Here's a few shots of our I-pod set-up. Works well and keeps it from skipping by not having it hard-mounted. Either I or the wife can keep it around our neck or in the backrest pouch.

The little FM transmitter was part of an accessory kit we purchased at Best Buy, but you can by them or similar other brand transmitters as well.

This model runs off the Ipods power but we haven't noticed much power drain. We use this in all our vehicles and it has a transmitting distance of well over 20 ft. An open air test I did with nothing in the way I was able to receive the signal over 100' away.

We keep a rubber band around the unit to make sure the transmitter doesn't come unplugged from the Ipod.

:680:

Juggler - switch to the Creative Zen (I have the Vision W) - no skipping ever no matter how big the bumps, never freezes up and best of all - you can put anything on it from your computer and never have to get on the Apple Highway to do it!:stirthepot::)

Oh, and the holder I got it from J&M.......

Juggler - switch to the Creative Zen (I have the Vision W) - no skipping ever no matter how big the bumps, never freezes up and best of all - you can put anything on it from your computer and never have to get on the Apple Highway to do it!:stirthepot::)

Oh, and the holder I got it from J&M.......

I can put anything from my computer on my iPod as well. I don't need to buy music from iTunes. My wife has a tape deck plugged into her computer and she's been converting cassettes to mp3's for a few months now. CD's rip to the iPod in seconds.

I can put anything from my computer on my iPod as well. I don't need to buy music from iTunes. My wife has a tape deck plugged into her computer and she's been converting cassettes to mp3's for a few months now. CD's rip to the iPod in seconds.

Ok I need to know how to do this as I have about 128 gig of music on my computer. I did get it to load some with the program I-Tunes but, they aren't in order and skipped a lot of the ones I wanted. I suppose I need some other program that will let ME pick what MP3's I want on it! I hate new technology!

Dog

Hi all. New member here, but I had to chime in. Running a "large" ipod mounted to your scoot will eventually kill the drive inside. I speak from experience. Fortunately, I fix macs for a living, so I swapped the drive for a new one. If you have a nano or a shuffle, there is no internal drive to vibrate, so no need to worry about the drive. Just avoid riding supercross.

Ok I need to know how to do this as I have about 128 gig of music on my computer. I did get it to load some with the program I-Tunes but, they aren't in order and skipped a lot of the ones I wanted. I suppose I need some other program that will let ME pick what MP3's I want on it! I hate new technology!

Dog

\

Simply import all your music into iTunes then sync iTunes with your iPod. If taht fails there are a few iPod/iTunes books for the technically challenged people.

\

Simply import all your music into iTunes then sync iTunes with your iPod. If taht fails there are a few iPod/iTunes books for the technically challenged people.

Hi Juggler,

Yea I did that! I used my stock MUSIC folder and copied all the music that I wanted to put on the I-Pod Nano. I made sure the total was under 4 gig and it missed copying many of the songs I had in there and skipped many of them. For instance I had 20 ZZ Top songs and it only copied 5 of the 20. What's up with that? After sync it shows I have 630 meg free on the I-Pod. I must be doing something wrong!

Dog

Hi Juggler,

Yea I did that! I used my stock MUSIC folder and copied all the music that I wanted to put on the I-Pod Nano. I made sure the total was under 4 gig and it missed copying many of the songs I had in there and skipped many of them. For instance I had 20 ZZ Top songs and it only copied 5 of the 20. What's up with that? After sync it shows I have 630 meg free on the I-Pod. I must be doing something wrong!

Dog

Hey Mean Dog. You can't just transfer your MP3 folder in to IPod Foldrt and exept music to play. iPod is called mp3 Player...but realy is not.. Its i-Pod

Apple is using their own format called AAC. wich is supperior to MP3 Files in many ways..... Like Why is 2nd gen Better then 1st gen... Cuz is newer, and better :rotf::rotf: ... So to Make story short...

What you have to do ...... Transfer MP3 files in to i-Tunes first and under

" Advenced " Tab, Is pull down manu... which is asking you to convert selection in to AAC format

Thats what you have to do to hear your MP3 WINDZCHRASH files to i Pod.

Is that simple or what :080402gudl_prv::080402gudl_prv::080402gudl_prv:

Sorry Mean Dog... But I'm 100 % MAC ( Apple ) Guy... even if I'm forced to use PC @ My work. I steel Have '99 Power Mac 400MHz, and after 8 years I'm never install any virus protection software... and steel runing strong on OS 10.3.9 without any upgrades. PC SU@%

Hi all. New member here, but I had to chime in. Running a "large" ipod mounted to your scoot will eventually kill the drive inside. I speak from experience. Fortunately, I fix macs for a living, so I swapped the drive for a new one. If you have a nano or a shuffle, there is no internal drive to vibrate, so no need to worry about the drive. Just avoid riding supercross.

Ok, for all you "large ipod" guys out there. My father-in-law is a computer guru and is helping me with a new development. An ipod mount that does not translate any vibration into the ipod. He helped design a anti vibration module for bose stereo so he has the know-how and I can give him rider feedback. I will keep you updated as we go.

:stirthepot:

A note on iPod's and Vibration. Our iPods are the larger video iPod version and they have a tiny little computer hard drive spinning away inside. That's why that can hold 30 or 80 Gigs of music. The problem is the vibration of the bike causes these little buggers to lockup every so often. On our trip to Chicago mine locked up about 5 times in one day. The iPod Nano and Shuffles are different. They use flash memory and they may not be affected by vibration. So, mounting the iPod to the handle bars is a BAD idea. I thought that putting it in the tank bib pouch with a little cushion under it would help, but no such luck.

Juggler is quite correct about the effects of vibration on the hard drive. At least on mine, the lockup came after the skip buffer filled up, which is just poor design and lousy software, Nevertheless, once it locked up, the only way to get it working again was to force a cold boot.

I did find an amazingly simple solution. The rubber bib on the tank has a raised section in the center that is just formed into it - nothing but air under it. All I did was glue a little strip of Velcro on the center of the bib right behind the filler cap, and that acts like a shock absorber. No more lock ups in 30,000 miles. Before my last trip to Colorado, I started using a tank bag that prevented me from putting the ipod there, so I just put the Velcro on the top front edge of the tank bag, and it worked flawlessly there too.

Frankly, I hate the ipod, but since I was given one for free, I'm gonna use it as long as it works. :080402gudl_prv:

Goose

• 2 weeks later...
all I did was put some velcro on my tank bib , ran the cord through the back of the the fairing, u dont have to use the plug in the front ,and works great , it does nt freeze up and my is the 80 g model ,cheers

I did that also, originally. The problem was that it is so hot here that it melted the adhesive on the velcro and the ipod started to fall off.

Yup, Velcro adhesive does get gooey from the heat on that black rubber, but this is easily fixed by just putting one drop of super glue under the Velcro after it gets soft and starts to come loose. Been through two summers after doing that, and they never moved again. :080402gudl_prv:

Goose

• 2 weeks later...

I have had similar problems with my 30GB. I have a leather case with a belt clip that I had been clipping on the left handlebar where the audio control cables come out. It would lock up a few times a day depending on roads. Anyway, yesterday I clipped it on the cord for the driver headset and it never stopped again all day. I have a tank bib/bag ordered and am going to put it in there. There is a wireless RF controller that will allow you to put this in the bag and control with the remote. I found it for ~$25 at buy.com. You might could find it cheaper somewhere else~http://ak.buy.com/db_assets/prod_lrg_images/926/90146926.jpg

• 4 years later...
Dog you should have a cd for the ipod to download the needed software to download music. once you have in on the PC you can load music to the ipod or purchase music from the i pod store.

If you connect to your computer with the USB cable, you should be able to download Itunes to your computer. The only thing I don't like about the Ipods is that you must use Itunes to download and/or delete files.