IGNORED

Avon front tire size

berg

Well its time to buy tires on my 2006 rstd,I have read all the posts on what size is best .I have decided on the Avons .My question is this, I am 5 10 185 lbs , looking to improve slow speed handling , do a lot of two up . I do not have leveling links or have I altered the stance of the bike .Will the 150 stock size improve handling for me without any other changes . Iam concerened with high speed stability as well. Any sugestions for someone my size, I would love to improve slow speed handling while maintaining high speed feel . Thanks for any guidance !!!!!!:thumbsup2:

I don't think the brand or style of tire will make much slow speed difference; probably only the size.

If you do a search you'll get all sorts of advice on using the stock 150 or a narrower 130 tire.

I'm 6' (with my boots on) with a 32" inseam and bumping 300lbs and I'm fine with the 150 tire on front.

But I think they most commonly say that the 130 is good for slow speed handling but at highway speeds it tends to want to follow grooves and such.

I have a 130 Avon on mine and while low speed handling was improved I also felt high speed handling was compromised slightly. I am used to running about 80-90 on the interstate. With the 150 I felt planted and had no problem rolling up over 100. With the 130 anything above 85 I felt, lets just say, not so planted. I wont say squirrily, but I just didnt feel confident above 85 with it. Each one of us has different styles of riding and different opinions. All I can say is how "I" feel on the bike. Now that we've confused you......:starz:

I too have the 130 Avon on the front of my '06 RSTD, and compared to the Brickstone, it is a marvel. The lowspeed maneuvering is much better, and I no longer feel like I am fighting the bike. The bike also goes over joints much more surely.

I am 5'10" and 150 lbs (soaking wet) and I found that the 130 Avon made the bike more responsive and easier to handle. Initially I was over controlling but with a couple of rides it was no problem, low or high speed.

Good luck with your choice. Jdix

Depends on what you are use to,, I had dirt bikes and standard or sport 750 road bikes for years before getting the RSV, I didn't mind the heavier feeling of the handling, but now with the 130 I like it much better, and the high speed stability still seems better to me than that of several of my old shorter wheel based 750s. To me with the 150 the bike wants to go straight and to make it turn is a fair amount of effort, but with the 130 it feels neutral, which means unless I am paying attention it may wander, but when I want it to turn, it doesn't fight me.

But then some really don't like the way the 130s feel.

I have a 130 Avon on mine and while low speed handling was improved I also felt high speed handling was compromised slightly. I am used to running about 80-90 on the interstate. With the 150 I felt planted and had no problem rolling up over 100. With the 130 anything above 85 I felt, lets just say, not so planted. I wont say squirrily, but I just didnt feel confident above 85 with it. Each one of us has different styles of riding and different opinions. All I can say is how "I" feel on the bike. Now that we've confused you......:starz:

I agree with Ruffy, The Avon's were a huge improvement over the "Brickstones" but the 130 tends to be a little less "planted" at 70 and above. I'll probably go back to the 150 next time around. Either way you would be happy with the Avons.:thumbsup2:

Count me as 3 I had a 130 Venom on the front of my 2nd '99 and it didn't feel solid at highway speeds. I was blown around a lot more with it then when I had the 150. The Avons WILL make the bike handle better with the 150. Personally I would go with the 150 and a set of leveling links, but thats just my opinion

:2cents: