IGNORED

Need WWW tires for Venture

I am looking for quality recommended tire size white wall tires for a Venture. Avon has a back tire but not a front, Metzeler has a front tire (880) but not the back. Elite 3s only come in black as far as I can tell, Michelin Commander (currently have) I can't find in white wall either. I don't want Bridgestone or Dunlop 404s. Why does everything have to be so complicated? While I have your attention is there anything wrong with running radials?

Thanks,

Harry:bang head:

Avon does make the front size. Maybe the vendor you were looking at doesn't carry them? They make the stock size in BW, and if you like the narrower front size, they make them in both BW and WW. I currently have 22,000 miles on their narrow front WW tire. Yes, it needs changed.

If you want stock sizes in WWs, you're stuck with Dunlop or Maxxis. Why don't you like the Dunlops? I've used them and thought they were fine. I got 16,000 miles out of them. I have a friend who uses Maxxis. He likes the looks, ride, and handling, but he admits he doesn't get very many miles out of them.

Radials are fine. They just don't make any with WWs. I like WWs.

I was told the Dunlop 404s were good tires but that they are economy tires like the OEM Bridgestone. I was told the ride and tire wear were better than the Bridgestone but I would get better handling & tire mileage with Avon, Metzeler, Dunlop Elite 3s or Michelin Commanders. The Dunlop 404s are cheaper than the rest but if I don't get the mileage out of them I would get out of the rest then I'm really not saving anything.

Harry:confused24:

Thanks I'll reconsider the Dunlop 404s. It would make life a lot easier. They have the tires I want. I didn't want the narrow white walls that Avon had I wanted the wide white wall so I'll look at 404s again.

Thanks I'll reconsider the Dunlop 404s. It would make life a lot easier. They have the tires I want. I didn't want the narrow white walls that Avon had I wanted the wide white wall so I'll look at 404s again.

The narrow Avon WW tires are a 130,, only 8 tenths of an inch narrower, and it has a higher load rating than anyone elses 150 I've looked at. It make the front end feel lighter, I think it makes the bike feel like it handles much better.

Harry: I have the Dunlop 404's on my 2006.....Put them on early spring last year...I asked around and decided to go with them for not only the price...BUT...because I have a Bud that is a Motorcycle Cop and he rides a RSV when he's not on the City issued BMW....Below is what he reply when I asked him about tires he used...

Hope this helps...

George In Virginia...

George:

Many people use the Avons because of the grip. They are great in PERFECT weather! Mine came with the Dunlop 404, I have won rodeo's and obstacle courses with them and I got 15,000 excellent miles out of them. I put the same thing back on it (only the WWW version) and have 9000 on them and they still look great. I am sure that size and how you ride will have something to do with it, but for all around performance, I will stay with the Dunlop 404's until further notice !

Oh, and the Dunlops are excellent in the rain and not bad priced either. Good Luck

Edited by Long Tall

As most know, the RSV comes stock with either the 404 or the Bridgestones. In my honest opinion, the Bridgestone is not only a terrible tire but is actually dangerous due to the very poor traction on wet roads. I had no problems with the 404 and would run it again if I had to. I couldn't disagree more though with the statement that the Avon is only good in PERFECT weather. I'm glad that the cop is happy with the 404 and there are a few others here that are pleased with them also but as long as I can buy either Avon or Michelin...I will never use the 404 again. I find that the Avon and Michelin both far exceed the 404 on roads of any condition. Also, while I did get about 14,000 miles out of my stock 404, I never got more than 8,000 out of a replacement 404. The prices are very close in the USA if you shop around. Now I've heard some good things about the Dunlop Elite 3 but have not tried them.

I have been reading here that when some replace there 404s they dont get the milage out of them does anyone know why? I stopped in at the local dealer and they make a few radial tire in the size for the venture does anyone ride with them? I would think they would last longer and ride better but I am not a tire expert???

Guest Saddletramp

I also prefer the look of a WWW on my Midnight. And like others I struggled to find a set. I ended up being talked into a set of Metzlers but had to go to a 170 on the rear. I was assured it will fit. Well it is on the bike but I am apprehensive, to say the least about the clearance at the driveshaft housing. There is only about 3/16" between tire and housing. My dealer says metzler rep. promised him it "will fit" and he will stand with me but I am already leaning towards the Dunlops 404's. Avon is probably grand but I'm seeing some huge differences in price between Avon and Dunlop in the catalogs. I realize that you get what you pay for but are the Avons that longer wearing of a tire?

Hi,

I know this has been asked many times before but I can't find the answer. I read about the advantages of a smaller AVON front tire. I would like to purchase one but need to know if the following tire description is the correct one. Please confirm, anyone?

AVON FRONT VENOM AM41 MT90HB16 NWW:97:

Yup, that's the one. I have one right now and like it.

The Dunlops out of which I got 16,000 miles were a replacement set. I've heard some haven't gotten anywhere near that much out of replacements sets. I have no idea why.

Hi,

I know this has been asked many times before but I can't find the answer. I read about the advantages of a smaller AVON front tire. I would like to purchase one but need to know if the following tire description is the correct one. Please confirm, anyone?

Correct, but it does come in a NWW or WWW (narrow whitewall or wide whitewall)