IGNORED

Vmax gears in RSV Question

Hello everybody,

I really want to put the Vmax gearing in my RSV... We do alot of 2up riding and tow a trailer... I feel the deeper gears will help alot.

I just purchased a RSV Final drive on Ebay and last night I found some Vmax gears. Has anybody here actually installed Vmax gears in a RSV housing? I know there is a site that will do it... But I'm a do it yourself kind of guy.

Any tips or info would be great. Service manual has also been ordered. all my parts should be here in a few days. I was thinking of doing a write up on the install.

Thank you

Reaney in NH

hi reany

didn't know the gears were just being swaped. my understanding is the whole diff. / pumpkin is being used / swaped out. i belive the vmax rear does not have the speed sensor plug, but does have a shock mount point there. so i really guess you could just remove & replace the gears from one housing to the other. i would like to know too?

best reguards

don c.

Sportmax sells Our RSV gears to the Vmax guys with exchange... and then they sell the Vmax gears to us, also with exchange. The Vmax housing looks different.. it does not have the Speedo hole. So I belive they are swaping the gears from one housing to another.

This is why I bought an extra housing. I bought the RSV Final drive for $58.00 delivered... and a set of Vmax gears for even less.

YOu are right about cretical measurement... I've set up alot of car and truck diffs. I'm thinking the bike can't be much harder... Just different.

I will let you guys know how it works out. Could be I'm WAY off base... but then again... Maybe not.

I have not rebuilt a final drive in a motrcycle, but if you have rebuilt a rearend before, this should be easy enough.

I note that you said:

Service manual has also been ordered.

A printed manual is nice, but the service manual is offered for FREE in PDF format here on this forum.

Look to the left column and you will see a link for VRTech

Click it and then click on the 2nd Gen link and you will see a place to download it.

WARNING it is about 13 Megabytes. I normally print the individual pages I need and throw them out when the job is done, as I usully will gunk them up in the shop...

While you are in the VRTech section, also download the parts book for some GREAT assembly drawings AND a complete parts list.

Back to the rear gear swap, The service manual calls out two special tools are needed... I wish you good luck if you don't buy these tools as you might have some issues.

Final drive shaft holder, YM-01229, 90890-01229

Final drive shaft bearing retainer wrench, YM-04050, 90890-04050

Also do yourself a favor and get some Honda Moly60 grease for the splines of the drive shaft, the splines that connect the final drive to the rear wheel and use some on the fingers of the "clutch hub" that connects to the rear wheel.

PLEASE do us a favor and write up a tech article to post in the VRTech section, especally anyting you did to get around using the special tools.............

The other do it yourself way would be to take your VMX housing and mill out the boss to accept the speedo sensor. Use the stock housing to duplicate all the dimensions. This is the way did it. I have neither the special tools to remove and replace the rear end gears nor the knowledge to set them up correctly. I guess it depends on what equipment and expertise you have. I'll be interested to see how it goes for you. Sportmax does get an awful lot of money for the job.

Has anybody talked to Sportmax and see what they do to the rearends? My concern is that it's a simple gear swap where they set the gear lash on the Vmax gears they are installing in the pumpkin. I would be interested how long they guarantee the work for and if they are replacing seals and going through the rearend?