IGNORED

OK Truck shopping again ( to pull MC trailer )

GeorgeS

Ok gave up on ford ranger, they are going out of production, and decided to small a vehical.

Started researching Chev. Colorado, truck, found front end , and tire problems, and few more problems. Gave up on that.

Ok, so started shopping for a Silverado!! Great, truck, and really good deals, but then I found out about all the brakeing problems, from about 2001 to 2006 or so, and maby 07 and 08. Rust on rotors, and calipers, and lots of problems with the actuation system. And the kicker, GM was stonewalling untill the Feds stepped in.

I know, this is old news, but I guess I missed it.

OK, a salesman at dealer e-mailed me that all these problems have been fixed, on the 2009 Model, Silverado's !!!

Can I trust him, ??? Does anybody here have knowlege of Brake problems with 2009 to about 2008 GM pickup truck ????

GM was blameing it on Road Salt. Funny their trucks are the only vehicals that were effected by the salt on the roads. Hmmmm ??

I can't find any confirmation, that the 09 models have had the Brakeing systems fixed.

Or maby all those postings on " edmonds.com " are bull ??

You can find problems with all of them if you dig for it,and i find alot of the problems are that people beat the hell out of them and then get mad when it breaks. I say pick out the truck that fits you and your needs the best.

I bought me a 06 Dodge ram 1500 with the 5.7 hemi.The best truck i have ever had,but im sure someone some where has had problems with them too.so far mine pulls anything i hook up to it

and get good milage for a full size truck.Im very happy with it.:thumbsup:

You can find problems with all of them if you dig for it,and i find alot of the problems are that people beat the hell out of them and then get mad when it breaks. I say pick out the truck that fits you and your needs the best.

I bought me a 06 Dodge ram 1500 with the 5.7 hemi.The best truck i have ever had,but im sure someone some where has had problems with them too.so far mine pulls anything i hook up to it

and get good milage for a full size truck.Im very happy with it.:thumbsup:

Yes, I agree, but they did recalls for rust on brakes in many northern states, and no other brand of vehical had these problems. Reports were it was really bad rust problem. Also many reports. that after 2 or 3 trips to dealer repair shop, brakes still did not work, and folks were told there was nothing wrong !! I find that amazing, in ref: to brakeing systems.

But can't find any complaints, for the 09's, but also can't find just what GM did to fix the problems, If they actually did ???

Do we have any members here who work GM Maintenance Department at a GM Dealer ?????

I really would like a Chevy truck, but, if bad brakes !! no way ----

Hey George,

Being a Chevy man myself, the only thing I have heard about the braking problem and the fix is that on the 2009 models they started Zinc plating the rotors and calipers. In the case of the rotors, what happens to the rotor after the brake pads wear thru the zinc plating? This remains to be seen. I have heard of people purchasing aftermarket rotors that are zinc plated and putting them on the 2005 to 2008 models, but these rotors are in the $235.00 a piece range! The other fix I have heard about is to install the Calipers from the 2500/3500 HD model on the 1500 for better braking. This mod is not cheep! But does do a fine job of solving the braking problem on the 1500's. Obviously these calipers are expensive and hard to find used, so you would be buying new from Chevrolet, Yea Right! Sorry for the bad news.

Earl

Ok gave up on ford ranger, they are going out of production, and decided to small a vehical.

Started researching Chev. Colorado, truck, found front end , and tire problems, and few more problems. Gave up on that.

Ok, so started shopping for a Silverado!! Great, truck, and really good deals, but then I found out about all the brakeing problems, from about 2001 to 2006 or so, and maby 07 and 08. Rust on rotors, and calipers, and lots of problems with the actuation system. And the kicker, GM was stonewalling untill the Feds stepped in.

OK, a salesman at dealer e-mailed me that all these problems have been fixed, on the 2009 Model, Silverado's !!!

Can I trust him, ??? Does anybody here have knowlege of Brake problems with 2009 to about 2008 GM pickup truck ????

GM was blameing it on Road Salt. Funny their trucks are the only vehicals that were effected by the salt on the roads. Hmmmm ??

I can't find any confirmation, that the 09 models have had the Brakeing systems fixed.

Better go with the F150. GM may not be around. Anyway F150 is the better truck anyway:stirthepot:

Ok -- " Road kill " I like it when folks Stir the Pot !!!! :thumbsup2:

But, I'm still looking for detailed information on whatever the fix was in addition to the new plateing on the rotors, information as to the actual Anti lock brakeing system itself.

Would like to hear from a GM Maintence Department Insider ??? any of those folks on this site ???

ANY plating on ANY rotor will be gone, gone, gone within the first 100 miles or so. The only lasting effect of the plating is on the rest of the disk where it will help for a while with rust.

We have a 2003 Silverado, other than some repairs (under warranty) to the 4WD system in front, we have had zero problems. Really love our truck.

Four wheel disks work great, and we now have 55,000 miles and are on the original pads and disks all around. We pull a 5000 pound horse trailer and a 5000 pound car trailer, and Did pull an 8000 pound enclosed car trailer for a while.

We have the 1500 series with the 5.3L gas V8. Get 19 on the highway without the trailer and 11-13 WITH the trailer.

The engine/tranny have been flawless, and the Bose stereo is the best I have ever heard from the factory in anything I have tried (haven't driven any $100,000 stuff, but can't imagine it being that much better).

Love the seats, and the truck is our faithful campanion. We just bought a second extended warranty bumper to bumper, for another 3 years, because we could see no reason to trade up, especially during these times.

We live in Chevy truck country here in Central Illinois, but Ford sells lots. Most all of our friends have Chevy and have no real problems.

I would not worry about GM, if they go Bankrupt, they will continue on.

Well, thats encourging information. Thanks much. My 03 Blazer, brakes are good yet. But I am beginning to get Pulsing on the Pedal. Unit is at about 63K now.

Bought a new set of pads, but have not installed them yet.

So, I'm open to hear any comments as to why I should NOT buy an 09 Silverado ( I know fords are better )

If--- you have an 09 Silverado, and have ANY complaints, I'm all Ears !!!!

I need a Good Truck to pull my Trusty old Venture, down south with !!!! :thumbsup2:

First of all I do have a brother that has been a GM service manager for about 15 yrs. I can't get a hold of him at the moment, but I am sure I will be able to get the correct info and will pass it on whether this has been corrected on 2009 Silverado. Here is my unbiased opinion, (did I tell you I have 4 brothers 2 sisters we all drive GM)

I have had my GM for 7 years it had 20,000 on when I bought it. It now has 140,000 miles on it I have never had a brake issue. I do live in the great north where roads are salted nearly every day in Fargo ND. Absolutely no problem and this is absolute truth I have the original front break pads on it an the rotors have never been touched. I have replaced the rear at about 80,000 front will be replaced this spring. I have pulled my boat to many Minnesota lakes, trailors to Spokane and back to Fargo in other words I do use it as a truck I have pulled lots of loads, which is effiently powered (5.7) and safely stopped them all. I will agree that the anti locks are too touch they tend to release the wheel to quickly but as I said i have pulled many trailor including some overloaded ones. No tranny, engine or 4X4 problems at all, I did replace the fuel gage which is in the tank and so I replace the fuel pump at the same time which was shockingly expensive over $1000.00. Other than tires, shocks, wipers any other regular maintance I honestly have had no other repairs. It really comes down to regular maintance & common sense to make your vehicle last no matter what the make! One final thought make sure if you buy that F-150 your mc trailor is big enough to haul them both!!

Guest BluesLover

We've used an 05 Avalanche to pull a tandem Haulmark trailer loaded with 2 bikes (one and RSV, another a HD) from Ontario to Florida for the last 5 years without any problems - after the trip last November my buddy (he owns the Avalanche) did have to replace the rear rotors on the truck. We do have electric brakes on the trailer.

Just a couple of weeks ago, we pulled the same trailer with an 07 Yukon and it didn't have any problems at all.

Cheers,

Never had a single brake problem on my 04. The worst I had was the intermediate shaft. Had it serviced twice, replaced twice. The last (redesigned one) seems to have fixed the problem. Been a great truck for 60k miles for me.

Went to Chevy dealer, looked thru the Silverado's. Settled in on Ext Cab, Work Truck with V-6 due to price. Did a test Drive. And decided to get that one. ( they had lots of them there !!! Lots of them )

Anyway on way back to the Office, I spotted a row, of Used TrailBlazers. Rental Sell backs to dealer. All 2008 models. Checked them out. 32K was New Sticker price new ( MSRP ) All had between 8 to 9 K on them. $16,995 price on all 10 of them.

All had hitches, and trailer plugs. and Michilean Tires. I-6 Engine. I drove one, I like it, I bought it.

Problem solved. Cost 1K less then the 03 small Blazer I bought back in 04. That one was about 24.5K MSRP, and I paid 18.2K back then, with 14K on it.

Now just have to find a bike trailer, and don't need a topper, or hitch, or bed liner !!!!!

I hate buying cars !! three days of searching the internet, and running all over town all day today, to get loan and paper work and insurance finished. Oh Well, I think I did pretty fair. I KNOW sombody found a better deal. But I just could not face another 3 days os shopping around.

Anyway, bottom line, about 52 percent of MSRP, for 1 year old vehical with 9K on it. :mytruck:

I have an 02 Dodge Ram 1500 with the 4.7 V8 and 5 sp standard trans. No problems at all. We recently drove from Saltspring to Thane Wyoming with another couple and got 22 mpg. It has lots of torque and lots of power (310 hp). It is very comfortable and I am happy with it.

i've got an 08 Tundra. Nice truck, quiet, nice ride, fuel mileage isnt the best. I don't look for the best mileage when I buy a truck, or i'll never get what I need. The trans. is great for towing. 6 speed auto, but you can switch it over to a manual trans. no clutch. my truck is bucket seats with shifter on console beside your seat. All you do is move the shifter over in the shift pattern and the truck automatically goes into 4th gear. Then all you do to shift gears is "bump" the shifter forward for 5th, or backward for 3rd etc. it's pretty slick. use this along with the tow haul button and it's a nice set up. Would work real well in the mountains I would guess. I live is So Dak. so i havent got it into the mountains yet. Have pulled a trailer quite a bit. In the last 10 years I've had 2 dodges and 2 fords. This is the best of em all. So far I've put 20000 miles on it and love it. By the way, power isn't a problem:hihi::hihi::hihi:

We just wore out an 03 GMC Serria 1500. Bought it new. Has 148k on it now. Its been the the shop 5 times. Had to have the radiator,water pump replaced at 95k , in for steering problem at 15k. Tranny is flaky in the rain. Dash cluster went out at 60k . It was showing we were doing 40 when the GPS showed 80. There were a coupl of other minor problems but don't remember them all. Never had any problem with the brakes though.Never less than a thousand every time it went to the shop

Anyway on way back to the Office, I spotted a row, of Used TrailBlazers. Rental Sell backs to dealer. All 2008 models. Checked them out. 32K was New Sticker price new ( MSRP ) All had between 8 to 9 K on them. $16,995 price on all 10 of them.

All had hitches, and trailer plugs. and Michilean Tires. I-6 Engine. I drove one, I like it, I bought it.

Problem solved. Cost 1K less then the 03 small Blazer I bought back in 04. That one was about 24.5K MSRP, and I paid 18.2K back then, with 14K on it.

Anyway, bottom line, about 52 percent of MSRP, for 1 year old vehical with 9K on it. :mytruck:

Sounds like a good deal. I was going to suggest looking at a Tahoe/Yukon, but you were always pointing towards a p/u truck. Been driving GM SUVs for the last 12 years, one Tahoe, 1 Yukon, and current stable of 2 Yukon XLs (Suburbans). 3 of them have/had well over 100k miles, the wife's only has 75k or so. Had great luck with them overall. Very comfy ride, great in snow, and can haul the wife, all 4 kids, and their stuff without breaking a sweat. It tows great too.

You should enjoy your Trailblazer. You did good.

RR

Thanks for all the input folks !! Drove it around town today, and I like it still. Much better ride then the 03 Blazer ( which I consider OK ). I research the OEM MSRP sticker on the vehical. Was listed out at 32K something. Anyway, for 17K on a 1yr old vehical, I think price pretty good.

I found an " AVIS " service sticker under the hood.

I have to give up the truck bed. but don't need to buy a bed liner, and topper, and a trailer hitch. So that more then makes up for the cost of a MC trailer.

The Inline 6 engine is quite interesting. Smaller displacement then the V6 in the old blazer, but seems to have a lot more torque. I guess that is typical of a

straight 6 . Not to many of those around anymore.

I researched Recalls, nothing last two year, but several recalls, from 03 to about 06. So I guess GM got most of the bugs worked out.

But they are going to stop produceing the TrailBlazer !! Its on the Hit list, for GM downsizeing.

Next month, start looking for a trailer. ( ahh good deals !! ) :big-grin-emoticon:

And a few " Mods " ---- 1st job, get the Ham Radio VHF / Uhf Rig mounted.

Edited by GeorgeS