IGNORED

84 Exhaust

tufftom4

I have a nice 84 VR with only 33000 original miles that I have taken from mass to Florida via Skyline Drive and the BlueRidge parkway and it has a nice quiet exhaust exept it keeps coming loose. I found someone selling an original Yamaha replacement slip on mufflers for the VR and Vmax that were used and he said they were rich in sound and had a nice rumble. Well they work AWSOME but I can no longer listen to my radio but my water temp is alot cooler and the pickup is awsome.This without rejetting I love the sound and accelleration but I don't know if the people next to me will like me. I have had many bikes and this is the first that an exhaust has made a big difference.So should I put the old ones on and keep peace or ride like hell.

TOM

are the jardine allot louder then stock? how about hearing your stereo sith them? I like my radio loud but wouldnt want to hear the pipes like i sdid on my v star with cobras.

They are a bit louder, but it is a deeper sound and I do not think it is too loud. When you crank it on, it sounds a lot like a small block Chevy with glass pack mufflers.

RandyA

Just this Saturday, I had a visit from an old friend of mine from the Buffalo NY area and he rode his 1988 VR down. So there we were, my 86'VR with stock exhausts, my buddy's 88'VR with the Mac aftermarket exhausts, and my 87'VR with the Jardine aftermarket exhausts. So I figure why not have a "Sonic Drag Race" and here's how it went...In my honest opinion. We started all three bikes, held them at 2000 RPM's, then 4000 RPM's and then did a quick blip of the throttle pretty close to red line.

My 86'VR with stock exhaust was the quietest by far, and you really don't hear a "throaty" sound at all until you get to the 4000 RPM range and above, no problem hearing the radio with these exhausts!:think:

Next was my buddy's 88'VR with the Mac exhausts, If you were just talking about noise level, I would say that the Mac's were 15% louder but the tonal quality was 500% better,

the bike actually sounds like it should go as fast as it looks. At the 4000 RPM range, the radio needed to be adjusted up to the next dot on the radio control panel to achieve the same sound quality.

Lastly was my 87'VR with the Jardine exhausts, General noise level was at 20% louder than stock at or near idle. At the 4000 RPM range the bike virtually starts to "Roar" it reminded me of "dropping the hammer" on a small block Chevy in my earlier days. IMHO the tonal quality is 1000% better than stock but it is LOUDER! It required a two dot adjustment on the radio in the 4000 RPM range and during the red line blip, lets just say you better hope you know the song that was playing on the radio cause you'll be singing accapella for a moment or two until the RPM's come back down! At this point I wanted to inject a personal note, when my buddy and I and Jean were standing next to the 87'VR and revved the RPM's to 4000, the hairs on the back of my neck stood up as did all who were near the bike, and my buddy just said...WOW! That being said, I have worked in factories for more than 40 years and don't have the best hearing in the world. If you have worked in a Library all your life the Mac's might be too loud for you and the Jardine's are Definitely going to be too loud for you. But as it is in my case, if you don't mind stopping from time to time to pick the bugs from your teeth because of the "Goofy Grin" you have had on your face for the last hundred miles or so while riding in the 3500 to 4500 RPM "sweet spot" of the Jardines, then brother these are the exhausts for you!:cool10: If on the other hand, you want to be able to here the cymbal solo on that new Beethoven cassette you just bought then you might want to stick with the stock exhausts!:confused24:

Oh yea, Jean says the exhausts on the 87'VR are " *****in' ", But she can't hear to well either!

That's my 2 cents on the subject,:Laugh:

Earl

Edited by skydoc_17
added pic!

So should I put the old ones on and keep peace or ride like hell.

TOM

put the old ones on and keep peace...I will dispose of the VR replacement slip-ons for ya so they don't clutter up your garage. pm me for my address, i'll even pay the shipping

I love the sound of the jardines on my G1, nice and deep rumble at low rpm. but higher rpm has that small block chevy tone about that sounds great .

I took Rockets G1 with OE mufflers for a spin last summer and couldnt beleive the difference, it felt like the engine wasnt running it was so quiet compared to my jardines.

Brian

put the old ones on and keep peace...I will dispose of the VR replacement slip-ons for ya so they don't clutter up your garage. pm me for my address, i'll even pay the shipping

Now why didn't I think of that?? I'm always wanting to help......