......how to check the engine oil level, in my '83 VR. I had heard, somewhere, that there was a little window where the level of the engine oil could be viewed. I have looked all over the sides of my bike, but could find nothing of the sort. I have also been moving back & forth through the downloaded service manual but, alas, there was nothing to be found. Even a search through the PDF reader failed to pull anything up (though I am sure that it must be in there, somewhere).

I really need to know how to check the engine oil level, and would appreciate someone outlaying the blueprint for me - OR, directing me to the page where I could find what I am looking for, in the service manual.

Advanced thanks.

NLAston,

The window you're looking for is way down low on the right side as you're sitting on the bike. Look toward the front of the engine, around where the forward exhaust tubes bend towards the back. Window is about the size of a quarter between the two lower bars of the case guards.

Hope that helps. There is a picture in the service manual on 2-11.

Good luck!

Paul

......how to check the engine oil level, in my '83 VR. I had heard, somewhere, that there was a little window where the level of the engine oil could be viewed. I have looked all over the sides of my bike, but could find nothing of the sort. I have also been moving back & forth through the downloaded service manual but, alas, there was nothing to be found. Even a search through the PDF reader failed to pull anything up (though I am sure that it must be in there, somewhere).

I really need to know how to check the engine oil level, and would appreciate someone outlaying the blueprint for me - OR, directing me to the page where I could find what I am looking for, in the service manual.

Advanced thanks.

Put the bike on the centre stand, to see the level, it should be about halfway between the marks on the casing, at the edge of the window. It is located on the lower engine casing, below the water pump.

you have to have someone look at it while you hold the bike upright.

No need, the 1st gens have centre stands, as a stock component.

The hard part is GETTING the bike up on the centerstand. A short length of 2X4 or 2X6 placed behind the rear tire then wheel the rear tire ON the wood block definately helps. From there just lower the center stand as far as it will go, and place your heel against it and rock/pull the bike further to the rear and the center stand should pop right into place...

Forgot to mention, you want to check the oil level with the engine setting for a few hours for an accurate measurement. Halfway up the window is just about right. At or near the bottom, add some. At the top, it's overfilled and can cause problems such as throwing it out wherever it can, possible blowby thru the rings, etc...

Guys...I thank you much. I will most definitely have to employ the help of someone else, to view the level. My does indeed have a center stand, but I have a lower back condition, which makes putting the bike on that stand extremely problematic for me. Of the number of times that I have attempted it, success was realized just once. Even then, it kinda got to my back, a little bit. But at least I now know where it is, now, and only hope that its level can be viewed much better than that of the brake fluid reservoirs resting above the handlebar grips. The screws are stripped, on the left-hand container, and I will have to find some way to get them out. Checking the fluid levels in those, will entail removal of the cover - which wouldn't be too bad, being that they are readily accessible.

The engine oil fill-level would be another matter, though, because that lower window would be all that I would have to make reference to. Once I find it in the service manual, I would be better armed as to how to (maybe) check the level - somewhere - with a 'dip stick', and also info on how to go about adding/changing oil.

Thanks again, my friends.

The hard part is GETTING the bike up on the centerstand. A short length of 2X4 or 2X6 placed behind the rear tire then wheel the rear tire ON the wood block definately helps. From there just lower the center stand as far as it will go, and place your heel against it and rock/pull the bike further to the rear and the center stand should pop right into place...

Thanks Robert. This is very helpful info, as I just posted about having GREAT difficulty (what with my back problem) getting the bike up on its center stand. By the way, did you get my PM :)?

I still think getting the bike off the centre stand was harder than getting it up on the Centre stand.

There is a simple technic and once you figure it out it is very simple. (unless all the bags are full.)

Brad

I still think getting the bike off the centre stand was harder than getting it up on the Centre stand.

There is a simple technic and once you figure it out it is very simple. (unless all the bags are full.)

Brad

Hey Brad,

I sit on the bike (when it is on the center stand) and give it a push forward. I also just got off the phone, not long ago, with 'Rocket'. We had a nice little talk, and I found him to be a REALLY NICE individual. He called me, and we talked for about twenty minutes, or so. During the conversation he did share something, with me, about the procedure for getting the bike on the center stand. I had been doing things right - except for pulling backward on the bar, instead of lifting 'up' on it. I would venture to say that I should fare a great deal better when I try it out, tomorrow.

Thanks

Hey Brad,

I sit on the bike (when it is on the center stand) and give it a push forward. I also just got off the phone, not long ago, with 'Rocket'. We had a nice little talk, and I found him to be a REALLY NICE individual. He called me, and we talked for about twenty minutes, or so. During the conversation he did share something, with me, about the procedure for getting the bike on the center stand. I had been doing things right - except for pulling backward on the bar, instead of lifting 'up' on it. I would venture to say that I should fare a great deal better when I try it out, tomorrow.

Thanks

Really no back involved. Should all be leg and put the instep of your foot on the center stand peg. Believe it or not, that makes a world of difference.

Hey Brad,

Thanks

Yup, that sounds like our Rocket!!!

Thanks Robert. This is very helpful info, as I just posted about having GREAT difficulty (what with my back problem) getting the bike up on its center stand. By the way, did you get my PM :)?

Yes I did, but haven't had time to answer yet. Will do soon!

Hey Brad,

Thanks

I tried that many times as well. Seems Garage floor is slippery and the bike slids sometimes.

WITH rocket oh I feel sorry for you (Just joking Rocket buddy). Yes it is simple, as gibvel stated in the legs and pull not lift.

SO was the oil okay or not ?

Brad

Nathan,

If you have trouble getting the bike up on the center stand, you might consider picking up one of the Pingel type front wheel chocks. You should be able to work out an easy, safe way to hold the bike vertical so you can check the oil or even the brake/clutch fluid.

Speaking of your other fluids, I think you mentioned stripped screws? Should be "fairly easy" to drill out the heads so you can get the cover off. Then you can get a grip on what's left with vice grips and get the remains out. It also lets you get some PB Blaster, or other rust buster down into the threads to make it easier. You should probably clean out and replace the fluid in the master after that, as you'll undoubtedly contaminate it in some way.

Good luck!

Paul

Nathan,

Speaking of your other fluids, I think you mentioned stripped screws? Should be "fairly easy" to drill out the heads so you can get the cover off. Then you can get a grip on what's left with vice grips and get the remains out.

Good luck!

Paul

Another variant of this method I have used, is drill a short, lightly smaller hole than a T15 torx bit. Tapped the torx bit in, put the handle on & lightly tapped the handle, with a hammer, while twisting it. No vise grips & no contamination.

Nathan, Valu has the exact same screw that you need for the cover if you get the old ones off, however they are not rust proof. You ned to replace with stainless steel screws. I haven't had a chance to check out Lowes or Home Depot yet.

What you may want to try is a good #2 phillips screwdriver and give the screwdriver a couple of really good smacks with a hammer to really drive the point into the metal, and then turn while pushing down. This may or may not work depending on just how bad the heads are stripped out.

Worst case senerio I have spare clutch and brake master cylanders that probably could use rebuilding that I will sell you reasonable. The rebuild kits go for around $20 and are not that difficult to do. You need a good set of retaining ring pliers from Sears (I have the set needed) to get the guts out. I should probably get about around $20 - $25 apiece for the master cylander...

Don't know how stripped out the screws in the master cylinder covers are but you may have some luck if you can locate a metric screwdriver set.

The problem with these screws is that they are metric and the non-metric screwdrivers have too long a tip on them. When you try using a non-metric screwdriver it bottoms out too soon so you don't get a good purchase on the screw and it ends up rounding out the head.

A metric philips head has a shorter tip that doesn't bottom out in the head and lets you get full purchase on the head.

I have spare clutch and brake master cylanders that probably could use rebuilding that I will sell you reasonable. The rebuild kits go for around $20 and are not that difficult to do. You need a good set of retaining ring pliers from Sears (I have the set needed) to get the guts out. I should probably get about around $20 - $25 apiece for the master cylander...

Thanks Robert.

I just may take you up on that, in the event that I do not fare too well with my efforts on getting those screws out.

"It's a little strange and spooky at first, but you can pull the bike upright (off the sidestand) while kneeling beside it. Get it balanced and then, using a flashlight, look at the sight glass."

Yikes, I'd end up trapped under the 800 lb beastie for sure, gasping my last breaths...but to each his own!

Regarding the centerstand, somebody mentioned using your instep on the stand arm - what part of the foot is that? I thought the instep was the top of the foot. (That creates a funny mental image.) As for taking the bike down, you can also do it off to the side. Put the sidestand down in advance, then grab the bike as you do when putting it up and pull it forward, then set it down on the sidestand.

Jeremy