SO was the oil okay or not ?

Brad

Well...I learned that the window was ok, and that I could read the fluid level. That window is about 3/4 of the way full, and (if I have gotten an accurate coloring reading of what's in there) the oil is VERY dark. In fact, it looks black, through the window. Sometime tomorrow, methinks that I will expend the effort of draining & replacing the oil. Depending on the cost factor, I would like to flush ALL of the fluids, and replace all filters as well.

But I feel that I should, first, try to zero in on why my bike is sounding like it is now. I took a ride, a little while earlier, to get myself a pair of swimming trunks, and decided to hit a place further out -to give myself a little more riding time. The last few days, I had been noticing how the engine seemed to sound a little differently. At first, I thought that I was imagining things. But I wasn't. The best way to describe what I am hearing is to say that it sounds like a muffler going bad. But the sound seems to be coming directly from within the engine, and the bikes operation doesn't seem to be what it was. My 'Red Stallion' now sounds like it's struggling to get where I'm trying to take it. I don't know what it is, but I am afraid to take it too far away from home, now. And that's a total bummer, because I really like to put some miles under me when I am on the bike.

But again, my bike is 24yrs old - and I guess that these type of issues should be considered par for the course.

"It's a little strange and spooky at first, but you can pull the bike upright (off the sidestand) while kneeling beside it. Get it balanced and then, using a flashlight, look at the sight glass."

Yikes, I'd end up trapped under the 800 lb beastie for sure, gasping my last breaths...but to each his own!

Jeremy

Been there, Done that got the tshirt...actually the oil stained underwear...to prove it. :(

Regarding the centerstand, somebody mentioned using your instep on the stand arm - what part of the foot is that?

Okay, lets go with the arch then. The bottom of the foot behind the ball of the foot and the heel.

Really no back involved. Should all be leg and put the instep of your foot on the center stand peg. Believe it or not, that makes a world of difference.

also hard soled shoes help a lot and if your lucky enough to have computer air ride set your ride hieght to max front and rear makes a big difference:080402gudl_prv:

failing that register for the wieder weight training program

Well...I learned that the window was ok, and that I could read the fluid level. That window is about 3/4 of the way full, and (if I have gotten an accurate coloring reading of what's in there) the oil is VERY dark.

My 'Red Stallion' now sounds like it's struggling to get where I'm trying to take it. I don't know what it is, but I am afraid to take it too far away from home, now. And that's a total bummer, because I really like to put some miles under me when I am on the bike.

But again, my bike is 24yrs old - and I guess that these type of issues should be considered par for the course.

Check your spark plugs, I think at least one is oil fouled. If it is the same as mine, probably the right rear one. This happens on mine if I have too much oil in it, the oil should be only halfway between the marks. The easiest way, to limit the amount of oil drained out, is by loosening the oil filter. Tighten it afterwards, start engine for a minute or two, shutdown & re-check oil level & for any leak at filter.

Check your spark plugs, I think at least one is oil fouled. If it is the same as mine, probably the right rear one. This happens on mine if I have too much oil in it, the oil should be only halfway between the marks. The easiest way, to limit the amount of oil drained out, is by loosening the oil filter. Tighten it afterwards, start engine for a minute or two, shutdown & re-check oil level & for any leak at filter.

Thanks Rocket - I will definitely try that.

The other thing is that I also now get a loud 'pop' when I get up to cruising around 65mph, or so. It happened twice today, and only for a single time each at each event. But when it happened it kinda scared me :), as it was SO loud. 'don't know what it was due to, but it causative of something - and I need to find out why. We'll see what happens after I have given some very loving attention to my bike.

The oil in my Venture gets black very quickly. I don't know why, but it does. Anyway, you can't tell the condition of the oil by its color. I've read in several places that the particles that give oil a black color are so small that they don't affect the oil's operation. The main problems with old oil are viscosity breakdown and acid accumulation.

Does the engine pop when you are on the throttle or off? It is out the pipes or the carbs? The air intake is right under the fake "tank", so if it's from the carbs that's where you would hear it. If it's out the pipes, you might have an exhaust leak at one of the head pipes which would also cause a noise.

Jeremy