IGNORED

Purchased a Harbor Freight Motorcycle Lift

Jinksy4

Puchased the Harbor Freight Motorcycle lift, rated at 1500#, today and tried it out with the Carbon One adapter.

The url for the lift= http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/ctaf/Displayitem.taf?itemnumber=2792

I had to pay $75 for the lift but it is worth it. The design is sturdy and the two step release to lower the bike works great - kinda odd because you have to press all the way down on the release lever to get it to lower slowly - normally you would think it would go faster all the way down - or maybe it is just me.

Of course the adaptor worked just like everyone has stated before - perfect. The combination allows the task to be a solo adventure with no worries - just go slowly when lifting and allow the bike to stabilize before raising off the floor.

I'm a satisfied customer.

Jinksy

• 8 months later...

I purchased this lift a couple of months ago for my RSV. I read in the instructions that I needed to push the release pedal down all the way to get the bike to drop slowly, so I did, and the RSV dropped FAST, slamming into the ground and bouncing a bit. Somehow, luckily, it ended up on it's side stand and flipping on its side, but I almost had a heart attack. So, I returned the lift.

Does the HF lift go down slow for you with an RSV or other heavy bike on it?

I need a lift and was going to buy their lightweight aluminum lift, or the Sears professional lift (they look the same), since those have the traditional "twist the handle a little" pressure release method, but would hate to spend an extra $100+ if my first one was just a dud.

I ahve the Harbor Frieght lift. Paid $55 on sale. I have had my bike up on it numerous times and when I push down slowly on the pedal it lowers the bike slowly. Never a problem with it dropping fast. I have had my 99Venture all the way to the top and it sits there perfectly due to the Carbon One adapter. I can shake the bike etc with no effects. You just need to get to know you lift and treat it accordingly for your own sake. 800+lbs in a lot of bike to drop on your self.

Just my :2cents:

So the instructions are wrong, and you just push the pedal down a little to make the bike drop more slowly?

In the instructions, it said to make the bike drop slowly, to depress the release pedal all the way down. I thought that was really weird, and definitely counter intuitive, but that's what I did. I slammed the pedal all the way down, as instructed, and the bike came crashing down. I thought the instructions might have been wrong, but wasn't going to risk trashing the Venture to find out.

I'm talking about the cheap HF lift, the one that has coupons on various bike magazines for between $50 and $60, regularly $80 I think. It's yellow. It seemed really beefy, and lifted the bike fine. It was just the descent issue. If you're telling me that the instructions are wrong, and the lift goes down slowly if you just push down slightly on the release pedal, I'll go back and buy it again. Is that the case?

a couple years ago I bought the expensive HF lift and when I tried it, it would crash down super fast, no matter what I did. Took it back, got another, did exactly the same thing.

Went to sears, bought theirs that looked similar and it won't hardly go down. With the bike on it and the pedal stomped on (or I tried sneaking up on the pedal too!) it goes down maybe in a minute or two, and as soon as the bike hits ground, it stops going down. I have to pull it out, and stand on it to get it to go down all the way. Been this way now for over 2 years. Thought it might work out of it, but I guess I would rather have it go down slow than slam down.

Basically, I think all these lifts are worthless.

How interesting! My HF lift drops like a stone! As soon as I push down, it drops fast... no throttling at all. I didn't know about this push it all the way in business.

Maybe I'll try it with some weights. My son thoughtfully left behind his 500 pounds in lead fly weights. I'd rather drop those than the bike.

Dave

I got my HF lift about a year ago and, of course, didn't read the booklet. If I just touched the release it would drop like a brick. Finally someone told me that you have to stomp it all the way down to get it to lower slowly. And they were right but it still isn't REAL slow.

So, most HF motorcycle jacks drop fast, and the Sears jacks all drop slow or break and leak? Or is that just the less expensive steel ones?

Are the aluminum ones from HF and Sears any better? They both seem to have the handle-twist pressure release, which is what's on my (older large) car jack and works great.

Edited by atlm

Found this very informative video, about modifying the HF lift to get it to drop slowly. Seems to verify that the instructions are wrong, and that pushing the release pedal a tiny bit will drop the bike slowly:

[nomedia=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j46NwUqjM7w]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j46NwUqjM7w[/COLO"]YouTube- Broadcast Yourself.[/nomedia]

I purchased the Sears lift on sale for $59.00, and it works perfectly, it has the pedal to let it down and it comes down slowly letting the bike settle easily on its side stand, it works great with the Vstar and the 1st gen. Best $59.00 I have spent on any tool. My venture sat on it for a year while I was refurbishing it and it stayed up the whole time. Great lift for a great price.:thumbsup:

FYI:

I ended up buying a Craftsman Professional lift. In my opinion, the easy-to-modulate pressure release alone makes it worth the extra cost. It's also low profile, so it'll go under lowered bikes and under the Carbon One lift adapter without issue, and it's lighter and easier to move around the garage.

Also FYI, the Northern Tool lift by Torin has a twist-handle pressure release (mounted low), which seems to give good control (I stood on the lift and tested it in the store). It's going on sale on Black Friday for $50 ($70 with a $20 rebate) at Pep Boys. The only shortcoming I see is bending down to ground level to turn the release, rather than standing up to hold the bike, if necessary. Not as nice as the Craftsman, but a bunch cheaper if you need it to be.

Sorry, I should clarify. The Craftsman Professional lift, for me, is worth the extra cost as compared to the HF lift that I bought first. I value the ease of modulation, the light weight, and the low height. I also got a very good deal on it on Sunday by combining the current sale price with 2 discounts and a coupon.

I can't comment on the Sears lift or any others, as I don't have first hand experience with them. From what I've read, quite a few folks here are happy with both the HF lift and the Sears lift, both which cost less less than half, and that's great.

There are also some folks here using hockey pucks and 2x4s with their jacks to lift their bikes. Again, that's great for them. For me, the money spent on Carbon One's lift adapter is well worth it.

You pays your money, you takes your choice.

:)

Sorry, I should clarify. The Craftsman Professional lift, for me, is worth the extra cost as compared to the HF lift that I bought first. I value the ease of modulation, the light weight, and the low height. I also got a very good deal on it on Sunday by combining the current sale price with 2 discounts and a coupon.

I can't comment on the Sears lift or any others, as I don't have first hand experience with them. From what I've read, quite a few folks here are happy with both the HF lift and the Sears lift, both which cost less less than half, and that's great.

There are also some folks here using hockey pucks and 2x4s with their jacks to lift their bikes. Again, that's great for them. For me, the money spent on Carbon One's lift adapter is well worth it.

You pays your money, you takes your choice.

:)

Isn't the Craftsman the same as a Sears?

Harbor frieght has a lift table does anyone have one of these and if so how do they work?? I dont want to spend the money if its junk. Thanks
I bought the manual 1000# one,, So far I like it. The only thing I didn't like is the factory wheel clamp. I want something that will hold a smaller front tire that can be used as backup in case of strap failure, so I will be making up these plates out of some sort of steel plating. I wanted to make them out of wood first just to see if it was capable of holding the bike upright on it's own...and it is!