IGNORED

internet protection?

I am not the best or know alot about all the stuff I should have for protection on the net. I have someone with the same port keep trying to hack my computer atleast 3 or more times a day and I want to make sure I can keep them from getting in and we also think we know who it is and they are trying to spy on us to see what we are doing or what ever. I have kaspersky and it shows me when they try and there port. I want and will take any help I can get and thank you very much for your help!!!

if you have a wireless system there should be a way to track the outside user and disconnect them. You can also set up a security password to keep them out I believe. Though I don't know your type of system.

if you have a wireless system there should be a way to track the outside user and disconnect them. You can also set up a security password to keep them out I believe. Though I don't know your type of system.

Kevin, I'm thinking that you are talking about your wireless system, not sure though.

If so, it's easy to set it up with a password to keep others out.

no its not a wireless system, I do believe he has the modem number off of our modem here and he know how to to go to our computer. I am going to get a new modem and before I get a new laptop I want to make sure he cant get into it or this computer again. I keep gettting the same port number coming up that is trying to hack in. I think but cant prove he has messed up the last lap top and fried it but I cant prove it. So the next step is to just make it so he or anyone else cant get in so I am open to suggestions. Thanks

If you dont have a router, go get one for about 50 bucks, read the instructions to set it up properly and then let your computers plug into it. That should stop most people from probing the ports on your machine. most people get pinged if they arent using a router, and because the new router will be the first thing the guy sees and your computers will have an IPnumber handed out by the router, its gets a lot tougher for someone to fiund your machine.

Software firewalls are ok but a hardware router acting as a firewall handing out your IP addresses works much better.

Brian

does the router work for cable internet? I have a few wireless routers here but havent used them and at the moment all I have left is my regular computer with the tower and all? thanks

I use a dlink router with my cable connection. You hook it up immediatly after your cable company;s box and then plug your computers into it or set up your wireless connection so your computers will connect to the wireless part of the router.

Most Cable or phone companies helpdesks will walk you through their settings and help with the setup

Brian

Wouldn't the cable company be able to stop this on their end??

I am using a secure router which requires an access key in order to log on to the "network", 2 computers which are not linked. Without the key you can't get on (unless you are really good at hacking?)

Good luck!

When I was directly connected to my modem Zone Alarm reported port attacks all day long. I don't believe it's anyone directly targeting you or your modem. Rather, I think there are machines probing the internet all day looking for unsecured computers they can take advantage of. A bit like random dialing telemarketers do really.

A router hides those software ports they are trying to exploit. The only way they can be accessed from the outside is if you deliberately map them through the router.

We don't run any anti-virus software at home and in 8 years of broadband usage have never had a virus or other problem (at one time had 4 computers being used heavily). We protected ourselves by:

1 - having a router

2 - never using outlook or outlook express for email

3 - don't use internet explorer

4 - we log on to the computer with regular user accounts. We only turn on Administrator privileges when we mean to alter the system.