IGNORED

Finally starting a few long put off projects

Well, back from Iraq and ready to hit the road.... well almost.

In my Brigade, we're required to go through the MSF course everytime we return from a deployment... so.....

I buy a battery, go get my tags renewed and drive up to the class.

Here I am sitting next to 5 Harley Davidsons on my 84 XVZ1200 with no side plastics. (a note.... when you leave for 15 months, leave the tupperware on the bike... one of my wife's friends backed over all my right pannier and all my side plastic except the left side engine cover piece)

Anyway, I digress.... So I'm sitting there with the Harley (all under 2k on the odometer by the way) and the instructors start thier safety inspection..... guess who needs new tires?

I drive away.... denied.

On the way home I have several problems I have previously posted here.

Well, since it will be another payday before I can get new rubber... I undertake the dreaded thorough carb cleaning.

I got the carbs off the bike and so far I have checked the left side diaphrams, rubber is good, just very dirty. I'll be off to buy carb cleaner tomorrow.

I dread splitting the carbs, I wish I could get to the bowls without disassembling any further , but I'll just have to have at it. While I'm in there, I plan on replacing all screws with hex head screws as suggested here. I looked a a couple of assorted metric o-ring packs at auto zone, and am not sure if I should go that route or Just clean the ones I have as well as possible. Also, as my diaphrams seem good, when I put the covers back on, should I use a thin coat of sealant around the edges or do the old diaphrams seal well enough.... I mean, the things are probably over 20 years. probably never been changed as the cover screws were all stripped out.

Anyway, the long winded reasons for this post:

1) I originally had rags stuffed into the inlet holes after removing the carbs, but It seems my dog had nothing better to do today than remove them from the bike..... all four of them. I have since put heavy duty freezer bags over them and secured them with the hose clamps. I am somewhat concerned about what might have gotten in, as Colorado is extremely windy this time of year. Does anyone have any suggestions as to any precautions I should take before reinstalling the carbs? should I stick a vacuum hose in there before I put the carbs on?

2) Right now, the carbs are off, the front fairing is still in place and the seat is awaiting an ebay replacement. I'll hopefully be taking the wheels off soon, so I can take them up to have the tires changed (not allowed to drive the bike up to the local deal... sometimes the army sucks). Is there any maintenance that has probably been neglected that should be done while the bike is this far apart. I'm already planning on greasing the splines and changing final drive fluids, and would welcome any suggestions.

Thanks for all the help you guys always provide.

Mark

PS: I don't suppose anyone has an Idea where I can get most of the 1st gen plastic for cheap? I was able to glue one lower fairing (L shaped piece), and the other is only missing about 2" of the end that attaches to the front plastic "crossmember" I can probably fiberglass something up for that one, but no luck at all on all the rest.

Dang, that sucks about all your plastics getting broke, I would just shop ebay, and check out our classifieds for replacements...

I do want to thank you for your service and all that you have done! The sacrifice that you and your Family has gone through will not be in vein..

Thanks again and good luck on the parts.

Kreg

Welcome home. I feel your pain, I was able to slip through the cracks when I came back, Riley had a policy that you weren't allowed to ride for three months, but since I didn't redeploy with a unit I scooted by.

Can't help you with pieces or advice since I ride a 2d Gen and have the mechanical apptitude of a squirrel with ADD, but wish you many happy miles as you transition back to life on this side of the pond.

Well, back from Iraq and ready to hit the road.... well almost.

In my Brigade, we're required to go through the MSF course everytime we return from a deployment... so.....

Mark,thanks for your service to this great country.

I don't understand the reason for having to take the MSF course every time you get back.

WTF,do they make you take the TSF (tank safety foundation) course if you are sent back????????:think:

Sorry to hear about your plastic taking a hit while you were gone.:mad:

Plastex works real well as do some other products that have been mentioned on the site..

I don't have any of the parts you need,otherwise I would send them to you free of charge..

Taking the wheels off to get tires is ok....It will give you a chance to give everything the once over,like greasing the splines etc....

As far as the carbs,you could try the vaccum.It won't hurt.

Good luck...:happy34:

Use a skinny magnet and small flashlight to look down the intake ports.

Change the oil.

When was antifreeze done last time?

Check the brake/clutch fluid levels & pads and do a bleed if fluid is dark.

Replace final drive (rear gear box) if it's been more than a couple years.

Clean the carbs thoroughly by using carb cleaner spray in every port and hole you can find and lots of compressed air. Use a little grease on the joints to ease installation.

Do 1 tire at a time and check the air pressure, friend drove his 40 miles with 15 psi from shop.

Stay near home until everything checks out.

Mark,

1st off Welcome home my friend, and thank you for your dedication to our country. Many moons ago I was in the same spot with coming back from deployment. I hate to say this, but did the culprit that backed over your items offer to cover some of the costs? Not wanting to start a war but to me that seems fitting if they did.

The carb boots, I would take your shop vac and vaccume out the space, probably no harm done. Sounds like your on the right track with the greasing of the rearend components. While the tire is off check your fuel lines and replace the fuel filter. As your looking at the bike from the rear it will be on the lower left side by the swingarm.

As always if you run into problems come back on and we'll get you squared away :thumbsup2:

First of all Thanks for serving.:cool10:

My bike is an 04 so I can't help you with the parts. I have a little bit of mechanical aptitude so if you need help just ask. The only thing I can think of different than has already been said is that make sure the orings you get are viton. They will hold up to gasoline.

Mark,thanks for your service to this great country.

I don't understand the reason for having to take the MSF course every time you get back.

WTF,do they make you take the TSF (tank safety foundation) course if you are sent back????????:think:

You would be surprised.... we have certain mandatory training before each deployment (gunnery, NTC, etc....) doesn't matter that you only get a year home before you leave again, you have to spend at least 25% of that away from home training for the next one.

First I wanted to thank you for the words of support. It's always nice to hear.

Secondly, thank you for all the advice. I keep thinking about getting a newer bike, but frankly, I like a project. I would never learn half the maintenance techniques on a bike that rarely had major problems. It's great to know that there is an excellent safety net, here on this forum.