IGNORED

One More Option for RSTD Brake Lights

I saw a post here the other day on Platinum Burners from Wal Mart for running lights, so I took a look at what they had. I noticed these small chrome lights for $15 a pair and had an idea.

I don't really need any additional lighting on the front, but I have been thinking about more visible brake lights.

Sure enough I was able to locate red bulbs on the net that are replacements for the white ones. ($2.75 ea)

I started trying to figure where to mount them and tried a couple of locations. This is what I ended up with.

I tried them turned up and then turned down. I like the down position better. These lights have small brackets that are adjustable up and down, right and left.

No drilling or anything. I simply removed the mounting bolt that came with the lights, removed the nut holding the turn signal, added the new light and put the stock bolt back in place. Took less than 5 minutes to put them both on, but I haven't wired them yet.

If I like it, great. If not, well, I blown 20 bucks for a lot less before.

Jeff

I like 'em. More light is always better IMHO. Especially on the RSTD since we don't have the trunk to mount too. From what you had, I think down looks better, but up might be more visible. Any way they could mount to the top of the license plate holder on the top screws? Put it higher and more visible to the cage. Just a thought. Great mod no matter how you end up with it. Way to think outside the box.:cool10:

Got them wired up last night and man, are they bright !!!! Shouldn't have any problem being seen when I brake now.

I'm happy with them for the less than $25 I have in them.

Jeff

Edited by Grey Ghost

Sure Bryan. Anything that helps a fellow rider should be shared.

This is the link to the bulb.

http://www.bulbamerica.com/SILVER-EXT-R-MR16-50w-Colored-in-Red-light-bulb-3264-prod.htm?category_id=451

The lights come complete with wiring, fuse and switch. I obviously didn't use the switch and the only other thing I bought was some shrink tubing to cover the wiring from the housing.

If I can help any other way, let me know.

Edited to add photo.

Jeff

Edited by Grey Ghost

Sure Bryan. Anything that helps a fellow rider should be shared.

This is the link to the bulb.

http://www.bulbamerica.com/SILVER-EXT-R-MR16-50w-Colored-in-Red-light-bulb-3264-prod.htm?category_id=451

The lights come complete with wiring, fuse and switch. I obviously didn't use the switch and the only other thing I bought was some shrink tubing to cover the wiring from the housing.

If I can help any other way, let me know.

Edited to add photo.

Jeff

THANKS JEFF!

Bryan

I also replaced the rear turn signals with a front set , kept the clear bulbs, and put on red lenses from kuryakin. SOOOO much more running light now, still have the turn in them and the red lenses look great on a red bike.

I think you better aim them down a little, If those 55 watters hit a driver in the face behind you------ Not good ---

If I was a cop behind you, and you blinded me, I think there might be a discussion takeing place.

Have the wife follow you in a car, and see what she thinks !!!!!:scratchchin::scratchchin::scratchchin:

I'll check them out by having a friend ride my bike while I follow him. I think I will be able to adjust them downward to cut the glare if it is too much.

I don't want to blind anyone behind me, but I would rather have a discussion with a policeman than not be seen. I don't think any around here would give me a ticket without asking me to tone them down some first. A lot of police and patrolmen around here ride also.

Jeff

we were just talking about this at breakfast , the lights look good but to get your rear signals to stay on you got a set of front lights to go on the back , did I understand it correctly. More light is better. I've got a 05 rstd. so everything should be the same.:think:

we were just talking about this at breakfast , the lights look good but to get your rear signals to stay on you got a set of front lights to go on the back , did I understand it correctly. More light is better. I've got a 05 rstd. so everything should be the same.:think:

Yes, I have a set of front light heads (ends, recepticles, lollipops or whatever you want to call them) on the back of my 2006 RSTD. The front heads are the same for the V Star 650, 1100 and Royal Star and they will fit the rear mounts on our RSTD's without any adjustments.

I have them wired to be on all the time as tail lights and they also work as signal lights.

You can wire them in behind the tag to be either tail/signal lights or brake/signal lights, whichever combo you choose. They will not work as a combo of all three - tail/brake/signal lights.

They have 1157 red bulbs inside the clear lens. The only reason for the clear lens is my personal preference over a red one.

Yes, they will be the same for your 2005.

More lighting is definately better. That is why I choose to wire them as tail lights. Obviously our tail lights are on more than our brake lights. Then, I saw how little my single brake light showed up during the day and I decided I needed more brake lights.

An earlier post mentioned that the new addition of 50 watts will blind people. Again, I ride mostly during the day and they shouldn't bother people that much during daylight. I want them as bright as I can get away with so that I can be seen or I wouldn't have put them on in the first place.

You can get a 20 or 30 watt halogen in red to fit the Platinum burners if you choose. Remember, you can also loosen the one bracket bolt and angle them straight down if you want to.

Jeff

Edited by Grey Ghost

What Jeff is saying is correct, but remember that the later front turn signals use that nice 3 pin bulb instead of the 1157 2 pin bulb, If you use the earlier model lights they are the same housing with the 1157. both work and wire up the same but the 3 pin oem bulbs are more than double the price of the 1157. I got the lights (new) from e-bay, Cycle parts direct, $29.95 p/n 11-2350. The red lenses were from Kuryakyn, p/n 2267 and were about $10.00

Guest NEBlissboy

Those lights look good & I may try it on my 08 RSV, but have any of you seen the "R-Mark" LED Brake running light bar kit (15") listed on Ebay?? ($60). They install under the trunk. I'm looking for some other option for light bars if any of you have info to share.

Thanks,

NEBlissboy