IGNORED

Possible VR Directory of the Best Restaurants visited by the VR Members

Yama Mama

I have to agree with what everyone else has said so far, I think this is a great idea. I'd definitely add a few good places I know about.

I thought about that as well, but thought that is the food was horrible then why should more than one of us have to suffer.
Agreed. I hate trying someplace new, not liking it, then when I'm talking to friends they tell me "I could have told you that place was terrible". Would have been nice to know that ahead of time! :hihi:

There's a show on TV called something like "Drive-ins, Diners, and dives" ... this guy goes around chekkin out some really cool places to eat ... watching it makes a guy wanna do a road trip just to visit those places LOL

They did a show on 'Charlie Parkers' Cafe' 700 North St.; in Springfied, Il. Nothing fancy but worth checking out. 50's setting in a quanset building. Reasonable prices & good food

I think it's a great idea. I plan most of the m&e here in NC so we've hit a lot of places around the state. I'd be glad to post the great food we've eaten. Just let us know how you want to go about it boss and we'll comply. This is an eating group so this would fit great.

Margaret

Greg I like your rating idea too. I think this especially will help tell if it is worth stopping at those Mom and Pop restaurants, on those off the highway towns.

I am glad everyone is interested in this. With any luck maybe we will have a good start before riding season begins for us northerners.

Yama Mama:325:

I am starting to think not a lot of people are interested in this idea.

I thought there would be a lot more responses.

I was waiting until it was decided how we're going to create the list to respond. I think it's pure genius. I have a couple of places I can suggest.

Guest Ken8143

Yama Mama - of course it is a good idea!

The list would be really simple:

#1 - Dairy Queen

#2 - Tim Hortons

Just kidding! I would love to see the list and can give some great restaurants in this area (southcentral PA).

I really need to give this some thoughts folks. What started out as a pretty simple project, like a new forum area or something, has turned into something entirely different. We are now talking about a database of restaurants, sortable by state/city, etc. with a rating system. :bang head:

Do you realize that there are entire websites based completely around what you want this simple little add on to do? :doh:

Don I know no one wants you to have to commit any more time than you already do to this site. I think the sub forum would work, but I am not a computer guru like you.

I guess I was thinking of something like the VR Assistance area with maybe a way members could post their restaurant information.

I do not know how that would work however.

I sure do not want you to have to worry over this.

Yama Mama

I really need to give this some thoughts folks. What started out as a pretty simple project, like a new forum area or something, has turned into something entirely different. We are now talking about a database of restaurants, sortable by state/city, etc. with a rating system. :bang head:

Do you realize that there are entire websites based completely around what you want this simple little add on to do? :doh:

Here is a thought :scratchchin: maybe we need to find a good site and put a link to it and use their resources? :whistling: We could put up our places to eat on their site and have a link here that would give us what we want? :buttkick:

That way the boss gets off easy! :thumbsup2:

That would work but the problem is, somebody has to constantly update it and then re-upload the latest version for the members to download.

OK...I THINK I may have figured out a way to do it. I have been working on it and have come up with a way to add a custom form to be filled out. If I get it working right, there will be a new link in the menu bar to the forms. There will be a separate form for each state and province. The member will choose the form for their location and fill in the fields. When they submit the form, it will automatically be posted in a new Forum which will have threads for each of those states/provinces. The form will be automatically posted to the proper thread as a new post. Each new post will automatically have a poll attached to it so that others who have eaten there will be able to vote on the quality of the total experience.

If this sounds like something that would work, then it is doable. It will take me a bit of time though to get it all done.

By having each state/province as a separate thread, a member can print out the thread for whatever state/province they plan to visit or they can just print out individual posts if they wish.

Does this sound like something that will work for everybody?

ok my time!! susan and i have traveled a lot and always look for mom and pop places to eat. we hate to get bad food, service and charged a huge price for slop! but at the same time we have found many great places to eat in our opinions, but you may not agree with our tastes. when we go to an area we haven't visited before, it's hard to find good places to eat. we love guy's show, because he likes a lot of outlandis dishes and foods. susan says i'll eat anything that don't eat me first. i have friends from all over the world and enjoy the differant combinations of spices that they uses in their diferant cultures. my mother taught all of us kids( 4 boys &4 girls) to cook and can foods as we lived on a sharecrop farm and you eat what you have at the moment. my oldest brother was a exc. chef at the sands in las vegas, nv for 15 yrs and my next oldest brother had to teach his wife to cook when they got married. one of the best things that we enjoy is eating at all the rallies and m&es on this forum. we will be glad to put a few good places on the list.

Here is a List that I'll be printing up and start to work-on.

http://www.foodnetwork.com/shows/guys-idiners-drive-ins-and-divesi/index.html

If anyone hasn't seen Diners Drive-ins and Dives on the food network you should. I think this show is great. Guy Fieri is off the hook and the restaurants that he features look good.

I'm with you on this one, David! Guy's show is by far the best on the Food Network Channel for a "walk right in, see how they do it" approach to dining out. Almost all the other shows are for cooking in. Every place on his list should likely be included, because they are already "road-tested".

I would also suggest some research into the Alton Brown show from last year called "Feasting on Asphalt" where he and a few riding friends toured the country and featured the good spots on the show.

Let's eat...

TERRY

I think it is important to not only list the good places but to also to list the places that were a bad experience and why they were bad. Nothing worse than stopping in the middle of a nice ride and getting bad food and/or surly service. As someone else said why should someone else have to suffer if the results are already known. There is a place near me that everyone seems to stop because of its location but the food is average or below, over priced, poor service and cash only. If you go 3 more miles down the road in either direction you will find places with better everything and they will take your CC or Debit card. Would have been nice to know this before hand.