IGNORED

Major Improvement in my 84

I bought my Venture last June. Ever since I bought it, it wandered. Did not track straight. It was especially bad over parallel grooves or road repairs.

I suspected it was tires. When I did the 2nd gear fix(1984)in Dec I took the front and rear suspensions totally apart, greased all bearings and adjusted them correctly. It was better but still not right. I have the super brace, but no progressives.

Today I changed the front tire. The old one was quite flat in the center, almost no round curvature. The new one is a Michelin A66 Hi-tour is nicely rounded.

The wander is completely gone. :happy65:Couldn't make it wander, even purposely driving on grooved tar snakes.

If your having this problem change tires. My rear will be worn out in 2-3k, I bet it will get even better after I change it too.

Like Dan has said these overweight bikes can handle. I wasn't sure.

Edited by 5bikes
grammer

Glad you got things squared away. Different rubber compounds will effect how a tire 'attacks' the road surface. Hard compounds will not be affected by grooves, and slip over them, while a tackier more agressive compound will pick up every road imperfection out there. Sometimes increasing or decreasing tire pressures can make a difference. It's a trade off. Hard high wear, or softer and more traction.

Yep, I have the same problem on my '84 and I already knew it was on account of the front tire. I've got me one of them high quality highly publicized Metzler tires up front. I have no idea how many miles are on this tire, but it's good and flat in the center of the tread. I do plan on replacing it soon, just haven't come up with the cash yet. Maybe there's a liquor store close by that needs some "protection".:whistling:

Have you got the Progressive fork springs installed ??

If you're talking to me, I couldn't tell you. I got my bike second hand just last July. But my front tire is so worn in the center of the tread, that it might not pass state inspection this year, so I'm quite confident that it's the culprit.

So, why are you still rideing it ???

I ain't got enough of that folding green stuff to buy a new tar yet. The nation's economy is making things rough enough for everyone right now and things have been slow at work. In an effort to help keep the new guys in cash, I've been taking voluntary time off from work without pay. But things are starting to pick up a bit now, I've just had two full weeks of work, that means two consecutive GOOD paychecks!:D After a few more of these, I'll be back on my feet enough to git me a new tar on the front.