IGNORED

Carb Diaphragm bulk buy

lonestarmedic

Ok folks,

I got a response from Japan this evening. The company does not currently offer

the diaphragm by itself. The SD1 and SD2 sets are not exactly the right size according to the manufacturer. However, based upon my request they are going to look into adding them to the line-up. I offered to purchase 100 sets of course based upon end pricing. I figure we can easily use those up if the quality is good. Now, I need a bit of research help from owners of other Yamahas.

1) Do all 1983-1993 Ventures use the same diaphragm? (I think yes except maybe the 1983)

2) What years of V-Max will these fit? I suspect 1985- almost current)

3) Is the base diaphragm the same on the 2nd Generation?

4) I see the eBay guy lists the 535 as also using these - what else may use them?

For our folks in Canada and Europe - what useage would you have?

If I can keep the price down to $100.00 U.S. delivered to the 48 states would it fly?

I will need some numbers from y'all to make this happen.

No promises here

JB

JB,

When you say diaphram, I assume you mean the slide (less needle, etc).

FYI:

1) Do all 1983-1993 Ventures use the same diaphragm?

Yes, they all are the same diameter and length. However the 1200s have a smaller lift hole than the 1300s. Thos might be a good question to ask. If they have the small one, they can be drilled out for the 1300.

2) What years of V-Max will these fit?

Frankly, all of them.

3) Is the base diaphragm the same on the 2nd Generation?

No

K&L, Inc has been making replacements for these carbs for years.

Hope this helps,

Rick

When I speak of the diaphragm I am referring to the rubber section only. No slide, needle or other items. This is like the item we have seen on eBay. I was under the impression that there were a reasonable amount of members who wanted to work with the original slide and just replace the rubber. I am not sure who the company is that Rick is referring to. If they offer the diaphragm, then my job is done and Rick can just let us know where to find them.

JB

I may be missing something here, if so, please accept my apologies. I know that you are just trying to help but I think the $100.00 would be high. Aren't they available for around $80.00 already? I think if you are offering to buy 100 sets then they should be a heck of a lot cheaper than that.

Right - this could get confusing with two similar threads running at once.

Looking at the German Keyster website www.keyster.de retail price for diaphragms only I said the price for other models is Euro 11.90 ($15?) each, so I'd hope a bulk but would bring this price lower.

Unfortunately I was looking at the wrong part (sorry - I have a little German, but can make mistakes...) The price is Euro 34.90 ($40?)

I know they changed the notional bore of the carbs in the mid 1980s - late 1200s and all 1300s, but it seems that the slides stayed the same.

On a separate note - there are suppliers for these replacements, but reviews for them vary. It is hard to know if a poor report is from a ham-fisted mechanic, or if a company with mixed reviews has some 'good kits' and some 'bad kits' resulting from the individual bikes that they did their tests on. If there is one supplier that we all trust, then it is easier to compare notes and troubleshoot later, if necessary.

Gentlemen,

I cannot read German that well. However, I have been talking to Keyster in Japan. As they have indicated that they do not currently offer the diaphragm by itself I would like to know what SCI and Motorrad are selling. It also brings in my mind the question of what is the eBay store selling? And, where is he getting them if not Keyster?

The diaphragms on eBay sometimes sell for almost $120.00 not including shipping.

I asked about less than $100.00 delivered to your doorstep. It will probablr be much less than that but I cannot tell.

The assembled slides go for about $70-$80 each. Sometimes more than that depending

on the distributor. Other diaphragms alone list at $25-$30 each before shipping.

Looks like I stuck my nose in a hornets nest this time. I will discontinue my investigation on the diaphragms.

JB

Here is a reply on the diaphragm that I posted to TimGrey concerning the SD1 kit. It may help to shed some light on the subject:

Tim

Be careful here. I checked with the manufacture of the Keyster diaphragm. They state that the measurements are 74mm O.D. by 28mm I.D. and do not fit the Venture. The eBay Canada site for SiriusConInc. lists the SD1 as being 72mm O.D. by 28mm I.D. and does not have the Venture listed as taking the SD1 kit. The eBay U.S. seller, MotoAllParts lists the Venture diaphragm he sells as being 72mm O.D. by 30mm I.D. The only ones that have been reported on thus far are the ones from MotoAllParts. They may indeed all come back to the same manufacturer. And, they may all fit fairly well. However, An incorrect O.D. will cause the needle to sit in its seat either too shallow or too deep. An incorrect I.D. may cause the slide to become off-centered in the bore.

http://cgi.ebay.ca/YAMAHA-XS650-XJ900-XS750-XS1100-CARB-SLIDE-DIAPHRAGM_W0QQitemZ220348980562QQihZ012QQcategoryZ 35597QQtcZphotoQQcmdZViewItemQQ_trksidZp1713.m153. l1262

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/DIAPHRAGM-YAMAHA-XV535-VIRAGO-XVZ12-XVZ13-VENTURE-ROYAL_W0QQitemZ270342324033QQihZ017QQcategoryZ3559 7QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

Excerpt of an e-mail from Japan:

Dear Joe,

Your msg has been passed to us since we are an export agent of Keyster carb kits & parts for

SCI who is our distributor in USA/Canada market.

We have now piston diaphragm - SD1 and SD2 only.

SD1 O/D I/D 74 mm x 28 mm

SD2 72 mm x 26 mm

Our SD1 is for XS650/1100, XJ900 not for V-MAX, XVZ12/13.

I will discuss with xxxxxxxxxx. If you think that great demand for these models could be expected, pls ask xxxxxxxx to make the new piston diaphragm for these models.

Regards

M. Yoshisaka

Nagoya Trading Machinery Co., Ltd.

Osaka, Japan.

Edited by lonestarmedic
repaired spelling

• 4 years later...

did you ever buy the diaphragm's? Or do you know where I might get some? I just bought a 1983 XVZ12 1200 and I am having issues with 2 diaphragm's. I would just like to buy all 4 and replace them all. or do you know of where I might be able to get them.

Thank You

Chris:mytruck1: