I took the new to me 87 venture out for the second time today. The first time I took it out I knew that the brakes were less than adequate. So after cleaning everything up, took her out again. I was cruising along at about 70mph,gave the brakes a quick test and they felt much better. All of a sudden the front wheel locked up, violently skidding from one side of the road to the other I somehow managed to hold onto it and get her pulled to the side of the road where I had to then call a buddy and get it trailered home.

What in the he@#! do you guys think could have caused this? Now I am a little gun shy to take it back out. Any ideas would be greatly appreciated.

Do you know if it was the left or right caliper that got tight? The left one is linked with the rear and if the pedal was not coming back up to the stop, it would not bleed back into the reservoir correctly. This usually becomes a problem with the back brake more than the front, but can happen on the front. If it was the right, the small hole in the handle bar reservoir may be stopped up.

You are real lucky you did not dump it.

RandyA

Glad your allright..... The orings in the calipers are old and dryed out or melting. I have the same year. SO far I'm OK break wise . But I too need to do a rebuild on all 3 on em. Plus, I allways test ride around the house a while before going any type of speed at all. Baby step my man.... Get her safe, get used to the weight and then go have fun.

Do you know if it was the left or right caliper that got tight? The left one is linked with the rear and if the pedal was not coming back up to the stop, it would not bleed back into the reservoir correctly. This usually becomes a problem with the back brake more than the front, but can happen on the front. If it was the right, the small hole in the handle bar reservoir may be stopped up.

You are real lucky you did not dump it.

RandyA

Hey RandyA,

It was actually the left caliper that locked up. Some one told me that it could have something to do with the anti dives, I don't think they have anything to do with this type of situation though. Yes I feel quite lucky to have hung on, must have been all of those years of racing motocross.

ddoggma,

Good idea to ride around the house for a bit before flying down the highway! I think I will adopt that theory after doing any type of work from now on.

Kurt,

The Left front is the linked brake to the rear petal. I have had the rear caliper hang up on one of my 1st gens. I would take a look at the rear brake reservior and see if it is clean. Many times, as Randy mentioned, the return oriface in the reservior will be clogged. If you have too much fluid in the rear reservior it can cause this as it will expand causing the caliper to compress. Check your fluid level in it and start from there.

The Anti Dive is Electric. when you apply brakes, electric signal, pulls the A/D Solinoid, that closes oil passage, to keep front from diveing.

That cannot make the caliper lock up.

Did you keep the fluid level in Rear Resovoiur down at least 1/2 inch from top of filler plug. ?

After what happened, I would not run that bike untill the Rear Master cylinder has been rebuilt or replaced,

And, rebuild the left front. !!!

If your rear pedal adjustment is set too tight and not letting the plunger return all the way, it will cause this to happen. The ever so slight rubbing of the pads will build heat which expands the fluid making for a gradual lock up of the brakes.

Just ask how I know.....

If your rear pedal adjustment is set too tight and not letting the plunger return all the way, it will cause this to happen. The ever so slight rubbing of the pads will build heat which expands the fluid making for a gradual lock up of the brakes.

Just ask how I know.....

Yep. Too little free play on the brake pedal will cause the brakes to heat up an engage. In my case it was front and rear and I didn't lock up, just kept slowing down until I pulled off the freeway.