IGNORED

1998 Tour Deluxe

Hummingbird

My riding buddie (who happens to be computer illiterate) has a 1998 Tour Deluxe with right at 100,000 miles. This past summer while on short rides around our county roads his bike would without warning QUIT. This happened more than several times but only once required trailering home.

The one time I was with him when it happened we had just left a restaurant (ice cream) and had traveled less than a mile and it died. Within 3 minutes and without any trouble shooting it started and ran beautiful the rest of the way home. All we did was let it sit with the key off for a couple minutes and it started and away we went.

Because of this problem and at the recommendation of our 'factory' mechanic, the carbs were taken off and rebuilt. Sure made a heck of a difference in performance. I'm not sure if the tank was taken off and cleaned or not. I do believe the filter was changed. Unfortunately the dog-gone thing won't mis-behave while in the care of our local Yamaha shop.

Any theories or similar circumstances happen to any of you ??

Sounds like the Main Switch to me. They are known to loose Contact and the Bike will be dead. When wiggling on the Key, the Bike will start right up. If this is the Culprit, it needs to be adressed soon, because the Contacts aren't getting any better and there will be a Time when restarting won't work anymore.

Something to check before you tear into the main key switch. Check the contacts at the back of the kill switch. It is easy to access.

However, now that I think about it, it wouldn't crank if the kill switch was not making contact.

Never mind. It is likely the main switch as stated before. There is a procedure on here for removing in replacing the contacts. Do a quick search in the Tech forums.

Good luck.

RR