IGNORED

To our Australian members

Freebird

I copied this from a post by Spear. He said things are pretty bad in some spots.

"There have been so many people killed and entire towns and villages wiped out in the past 24 hours - and still the fires burn.

If you do a search for Marysville Victoria you will see what I mean.

My daughter used to live there and worked at a place called the Cumberland Resort. Everything is gone. Thankfully my daughter now lives in another part of Australia, and I keep having nightmares of what might have been if she was still in Marysville.

This is an eerie message to see on a web site.

http://www.thecumberland.com.au/index.php

Here at my place today I had a thermometer in the shade that reached 38degC. The one in the sun hit 53degC. Needless to say I spent all day inside, in the air conditioning - doing renovations, watching the wild fires on TV and calling my daughter and talking about Marysville."

Margaret

Just been watching Yahoo news about the fires in Victoria, over 100 died already, with many still missing. The devastation is tragic with whole towns wiped out, it seems that they believe some of the fires were deliberately set. My heart goes out to those who have lost everything and prayers to those who have lost loved ones.

Spear glad to hear your daughter is safe.

Ian

Thanks guys.

I believe there is one or two members in Victoria.

I'll have to check the membership list, contact them and see how they're faring.

Just received a cheery E-mail from my daughter who has been reminiscing on her days in Marysville, and she sent me this link. Have a look at how beautiful Marysville used to be.

http://www.travelvictoria.com.au/marysville/photos/

The buildings you see in these shots are now nothing but piles of ash.

The fires are still burning. Temperatures are in the mid- to high-40s (over 100degF), with high winds and everything is so dry due to the drought we have been experiencing.

All the elements you need for such a disaster.

I hope they get this under control before anyone else get hurt or worse!! I just seen it on the web and thats the first I heard about it, I havent watched much t.v. lately. I did see were they think its arson, I hope they get the people involved if it is! Good luck to all down there and may GOD help you all!!

Thanks for your thoughts everyone.

Politics aside, even our prime minister shed a tear and had a moment on camera with this one. The cops are closing down all the affected areas and are now treating them all as a crime scene. Something like 750 homes gone and at least 130 dead. What can you say.

thanks for the update, hate to hear this. i belive the death toll is now over 400. i hope they catch the son of a gun/gun's who started some of these fires. nice pictures of muryville shame there's nothing left now. best wihes to everyone down there.

don c.

thanks for the update, hate to hear this. i belive the death toll is now over 400. i hope they catch the son of a gun/gun's who started some of these fires. nice pictures of muryville shame there's nothing left now. best wihes to everyone down there.

don c.

Hi don.

Death toll hasn't hit 200 - yet - but is expected to do so.

My daughter's friend with whom she once worked in Marysville was seen by another friend who lives in the far west of New South Wales (Broken Hill) being interviewed on TV. Quick phone call to my daughter in Adelaide to let her know. Much relief all round.

I've been watching it all again on TV tonight, and the fires are still raging and there are more towns under threat. The worst problem is the winds that are carrying the fire through the countryside.

Just want anyone reading this from my friends down under; we have you in our prayers. If you are reading this I hope you find some consulation and a moment of peace in that others around the world have you in their thoughts and prayers. I don't know Freebird but he must be okay; he reminded us to think of you.

It's ironic isn't it?

Here in Australia the Federal Government is handing out money left right and centre to some of the less fortunate as part of a global incentive to get people spending money to get the country back on its feet - as is happening in most of the world.

Despite the fact that the south-east corner of Australia is being ravaged by bushfires - in the far north of the east side of the country (Queensland) the countryside is under water, and has been for weeks. And it's still raining. What a country of extremes.

But - get this.

Some people in the flood-bound north who have received their $1,000 bonus from the government are sending their money down south to the bush fire victims.

No that brings a lump to my threat and a tear to my eye.

Isn't it strange how some folks who have little give to those with less. The little Koala is world famous. There's stories about that little baby everywhere. Amazing that little guy survived. Hope you all get through the floods and drought. Kinda sounds like places over here at times. The area that had the ice storms had tornadoes this week. Crazy weather and I don't think it's gonna get any better.

Margaret