I've got an 04 RSV and anyone who drives one knows the horn sounds like the cheapest thing Yamaha could find. Has anyone replaced theirs and were there any issues in changing it? How powerful of a horn can you install before there are some wiring issues?

Guest SofaPilot

It doesnt take much to create a curent issue with the original wiring.

It is also easy to add wiring and a relay to handle the new load.

remember The horn button switches the ground part of the circuit.

I just bought a set of 100+ Db horns from farm and fleet for $22.00 and a $3.00 relay. took about an hour to do the whole job.

I installed the Rivco Air horns for the RSV. They sound great and loud and they hide nicely behind the saddle bags on the rear swing arm. I compresser mounts behind the original horn and looks good. I took off the original horn and covered the space with the diamond R horn cover or you can use the Barons one. the damond R one you need to just cut off one small corner but it looks great.

I replaced mine with a Stebel Nautilus horn. 110 db. Quick and easy to do and installs where the stock horn used to be. Here are some pics. They are a little dark since I was taking photos of the lights under the gas tank. Horn blends real well.

The electric horns from Rivco are pretty loud and mount very neatly using the bottom bolt for the airboxes on each side. There are a few of us who've mounted them there, tucked the relay under the seat and run new wires to the Rivcos. Louder than mounted inside the fairing and you can leave the stock horns attached (even though the Rivco's pretty much drown them out).

Kelly

I replaced mine with a Stebel Nautilus horn. 110 db. Quick and easy to do and installs where the stock horn used to be. Here are some pics. They are a little dark since I was taking photos of the lights under the gas tank. Horn blends real well.

Hale374,

That is exactly where I want to put my Stebel horn. Could you post some more details. My questions are:

What did you do for a mounting bracket?

Did you use the relay?

Does the horn stick out far enough to interfere with your feet?

Do the plastic parts of the horn get hot from the exhaust?

Do you have any other pictures that might give some more detail?

Thanks in advance.

Hale374,

That is exactly where I want to put my Stebel horn. Could you post some more details. My questions are:

What did you do for a mounting bracket?

I used a 2 inch "L" Bracket I bought from Lowes. Used my Dremel to cut it the way I needed. View photo below.

Did you use the relay?

A relay comes with the horn. Use it and I installed it under the cover that cover your antifreexe resevoir. Photo below.

Does the horn stick out far enough to interfere with your feet?

Clearance is no problem. You won't even notice it.

Do the plastic parts of the horn get hot from the exhaust?

I've had it on for about 3 months with no problems what so ever. It is not touching the pipes at all.

Do you have any other pictures that might give some more detail?

Thanks in advance.

This attached thread talks a little more in deatil about the install. They are the directions I used.

http://www.venturerider.org/forum/showthread.php?t=91

Hope this helps a little.

Chris

I've got an 04 RSV and anyone who drives one knows the horn sounds like the cheapest thing Yamaha could find. Has anyone replaced theirs and were there any issues in changing it? How powerful of a horn can you install before there are some wiring issues?

I guess I'm wierd - I like the RSTD horn, it's different! :stirthepot:

• 2 weeks later...

I put on the Steibel horn this weekend. The installation is easy with the L bracket. I made my own L bracket out of a chain link fence stay. Fits like a glove in that little spot where the factory horn goes. Much louder as well. After the install I had the neighbor three houses down come out front to see what the racket was. He didn't believe it was a motorcycle until he came down to my place to ask if I had heard "That kook honkin his horn". He turned the white, then red when I made him jump by hitting the horn button. He then apologized for the kook remark, as did I for making him jump. I honked when I drove by his house this morning just for fun.

Glad I could help. You guys got my last pictures before my hard drive crashed this weekend. So all of my photos are gone. It'll be about another week before I'm totally back up and going again. I finally got enough drivers loaded to get the internet before going to bed last night.

Chris,

Looks like youv'e got the chrome compact horn ! where did you find it and how much was it ? Thats exactly the one I want but most suppliers are out of stock.

Any suggestions,

Gary

I just ordered mine from This place.

http://www.adventurersworkshop.com/Merchant2/merchant.mvc?Screen=PROD&Product_Code=8007850002163&Category_Code=Stebel_Air_Horns

• 2 months later...
  • 1 year later...