IGNORED

Bluetooth headset for helmets.....

NLAlston

.....is there such a thing?

First off, allow me to point out that I am not one who is particularly interested in doing a lot of conversing via cell phone - especially while operating a motor vehicle. And, as another poster had informed, my aim is to be able to field important calls from my family. I use a full-face helmet, and my bluetooth earpiece will not fit with the helmet on. So I wondered if there were such a thing as a bluetooth headset which was made to be attached to the helmet's outer side, with a long enough boom mic to reach the operator's mouth location at the helmet's lower inner side.

A guy that I used to ride with, years ago, had a similar double-set unit that he used to communicate with his passenger. His was a different setup, of course, and for tethered communication. But they were both able to hear each other, through the shell of their respective helmets (earpiece attached to outer side), and speak back through the boom mic that reached underneath their protective headgear.

It would be nice if there were a singular-design bluetooth headset for bikers, who desire what I would like to have.

Guest JGorom

The Nolan N102 helmet says it is Bluetooth ready. Also I saw somewhere in a biker mag something about N-Com (nolan communication system). You may want to do a google seach on Nolan helmets or Nolan Communication System.

Cardo Systems produce a unit that the wife and I use and like it very much. It's called a Scala Rider and is bluetooth. I use it in conjunction with my Zumo 550 (GPS) and mobile phone. Here is the url: http://cardowireless.com/scala_rider/ They make one that is the Team set and comes with two units one for you and one for your passenger. It fits on the outside of the helmet and has a great boom mike and speakers that work very well even on a half helment. Good unit and easy to switch from helmet to helmet. You will want to check to make certain that your phone and the units are compatible, you can do this I believe on the Cardo site. Good luck,

Kidcolt

Thanks guys.

My wife doesn't care to ride, anymore, so it is just me - traveling solo :). By that, it is to say that I wouldn't need a 'Twin' setup. I will check out that link, and see if it offers something along the line that I am seeking. I appreciate the help, as always.

Update: Just today, I learned that my wife IS interested in riding again. Right out of the blue, she made mention of us finding her a helmet (so we will go out, very soon, to get her one, as well as a jacket, and other riding gear). I was shocked, a little, but pleased. She is my soul mate, and I feed off of our nearness to one another.

So now it looks like I will be in the market for one of those 'twin set' blue-tooth communicators, and I am sure that the provided links will serve to help much, in my travel down this road.

• 1 month later...

Nolan N42 (open face) or N102 (full face) both come with a integrated Blue tooth. They also have a multi-media cable to connect to your scoo't existing system. You can also just take the corded system and use yout Zumo's blue tooth ability to snag your bluetooth phone's signal. The passenger can also connect directly her helmet to yours via a small cord. Works great also.

There are many variations of the installation of this system depending on what you would like to do.

Cheers

This is an interesting thread since I am wanting to do something similar. I would like to integrate my Zumo 550 and my cell phone into my current hard wired headset setup. The Zumo will provide the Bluetooth link to my cell phone. I just need to find a way to integrate it into my speakers and microphone already connected to the 5 pin wiring.

Will the J&M CFRG integration module do this? Any other possibilities?

RR

You can connect your Zumo via the Earphone connector to the Aux plug in the bike. From there, you can either listen to it via the bike's speakers or via any head set that can be connected to the bike. I am using this latter system and it works great. Of course, I had a ground loop problem and had to get a ground loop isolator from the local Rat Shack and the problem is now fixed. Works great.

I don't understand anything that you guys are saying. zumo, gps, cfrg integration module, what???

I thought that BLUETOOTH was something you got from eating BLACKBERRIES :rotf:.

Are you sure this discussion belongs in the "GENERAL" tech talk section? I think it belongs in the "TECHNICAL" tech talk section. Do we have one of those? lol...

Nolan N42 (open face) or N102 (full face) both come with a integrated Blue tooth. They also have a multi-media cable to connect to your scoo't existing system. You can also just take the corded system and use yout Zumo's blue tooth ability to snag your bluetooth phone's signal. The passenger can also connect directly her helmet to yours via a small cord. Works great also.

There are many variations of the installation of this system depending on what you would like to do.

Cheers

You have to order the specific Nolan N102 NCom there is a Nolan N102 that is not Bluetooth ready.

Nathan, this post was a while ago. Did you get your wife gear? How is your bike running? Did you get the issues sorted out?

J&M makes good stuff, and I know they were designing some bluetooth stuff, dunno if it's done. Another route is to buy J&M standard headsets to install in the helmets for about 60 bucks each, and then add an adapter from Kennedy at http://www.cellset.com/. I find that having my helmet plugged into the bike's intercom system with the coiled cord is not a big deal.

Oh, it just occured to me, does your bike have intercom?

Jeremy

I always thought of my bike as a way to get away from everything, not drag it with me.

Agreed, however, I would like to take my bike on business trips. I need to use the phone while travelling (it is all voice activated). If need be, I don't find it difficult to ignore an incoming call - whether I'm in my truck or on a bike.

It just provides another opportunity to ride where I would otherwise be forced to take the truck.

RR

Nathan, this post was a while ago. Did you get your wife gear? How is your bike running? Did you get the issues sorted out?

J&M makes good stuff, and I know they were designing some bluetooth stuff, dunno if it's done. Another route is to buy J&M standard headsets to install in the helmets for about 60 bucks each, and then add an adapter from Kennedy at http://www.cellset.com/. I find that having my helmet plugged into the bike's intercom system with the coiled cord is not a big deal.

Jeremy

This stuff looks cool. I sent an email to Kennedy to see what exactly would be required to integrate all the electronic toys into the current headset/microphone installed in my helmet. I'll let you know what they respond with.

RR

Jeremy

Hi Jeremy,

My bike had what used to be an intercom :), as evidenced by the embedded photo. The only thing that works, on this, is the radio.

No, I haven't done anything regarding my wife's gear. It has been decided upon that we will wait until next year. I will either have gone through my bike, enough, to have raised my confidence level in it - or (God willing) I will have been blessed enough to get myself a new bike. There are just so many issues with my present scoot, and (to be honest) I am not at all certain that shelling out the dough (even if I had it like that, right now) to get it "really ready" would be the thing to do. It wouldn't be such a pressing matter if I were to be riding by myself. But my wife wishes to ride with me, again, and I need to make certain that all is totally right - on whatever machine to be considered. I would yet like to keep this bike, but try to find myself a good deal on another (either new, or much less aged) motorcycle. We'll see.

+1 vote for the BlueAnt interphone (http://www.myblueant.com/interphone-motorbike-helmet-kit.htm).

I used it for months as Bluetooth headset for my cell phone and intercom to talk to a riding buddy who also had one -- granted, with limited range. Easy to switch from intercom mode to phone mode - a push of the large button. Even easy to do with winter gloves on.

I now have it paired with my Garmin Zumo 500 and can see the caller ID right on the Zumo's screen before I simply say "hello" to automatically answer the call.

It charges up quicky, pops in & out of the helmet in a minute (even taking out the boom mic) and is unobtrusively small. I highly recommend it.

Following is the response from Kennedy Electronics. You may want to scroll down to see what questions I asked to provide some context to their answers. Looks very promising.

RR

Kennedy@cellset.com said:

here's what you'll need...

cellset, mc/gps3

harley style aux audio harness

fpd type 2 intercom harness

zumo 550 harness

universal power harness

simple switch or relay timer switch assembly (to switch zumo between aux audio and intercom)

yes, the passenger can hear music, gps, phone, etc.

install instructions are included. it's pretty easy. all plug and chug.

Jon

On Aug 24, 2007, at 12:54 PM, Jeff Johnson wrote:

I have a 2000 Yamaha Royal Star Venture with the standard AM/FM/CB/Cassette built on. I want to add a Zumo 550 and aBluetoothenabled phone so I can use them over the hardwired headset/microphone in my helmet. TheZumo has theBluetooth capability to link in the phone, but I’m not sure how to get the micfrom my helmet back out to the phone. My headset is the standard 5 pin plug.

It appears you products will allow this to work properly. My questions are:

1) Will you products allow me to listen to the radio or MP3 (from Zumo) in steroe, let the GPS provide direction alerts, and let me talk on theBluetooth phone?

2) If the answer to questions 1 is yes, what products are needed to make this happen?

3) Will this setup still allow a passenger to listen to music (as selected by the driver) and to use the intercom?

4) Do you have installation instructions for this setup?

Thank you for your help.

Regards,

Jeff Johnson

I've looked at all of them that are on the market right now -- at least all I could find. I'm not really satisfied with any of them. They need to support all the stuff an Autocom does but do it wirelessly and let you use your own earbuds. Most are mono but very few stereo -- J&M is stereo but I don't like the config or the price.

I found that you can find a Cardo Scala Rider Teamset for about $165.00 on the internet. That will work okay for now and I won't have too much invested until these things mature a little bit more.

Total cost for Kennedy setup is about $350.00.

A member here, BuddyRich, makes & sells a cable that allows you to hook your helmet headset's microphone into the Garmin Zumo 550. In a PM from a month ago, he advised that the price is $30. He just moved so he's all packed away, but I'm on his waiting list for one once he's unpacked and ready to ship. For $30, I can't wait to give it a try.

A member here, BuddyRich, makes & sells a cable that allows you to hook your helmet headset's microphone into the Garmin Zumo 550. In a PM from a month ago, he advised that the price is $30. He just moved so he's all packed away, but I'm on his waiting list for one once he's unpacked and ready to ship. For $30, I can't wait to give it a try.

I would like to see that. That would provide the required link to make it all work.

RR