IGNORED

Mobile Layout?

Cerviperus

Just curious...

Is there a "mobile" version of the forums? I have a Blackberry Curve that I use through work, and it has the full data package. I think it'd be cool to be able to post to the forums while on a road trip, without having to have a laptop along. I can pull up the site on the Blackberry, either through the proprietary browser, or Opera Mini, but gah does it look terrible. Of course it's due to the browsers trying to force it into a mobile format.

Wasn't sure if there was a compatible mobile version of the site or not. Maybe just wishful thinking. :hihi:

No, there is no mobile version at this time. It would be possible but a LOT of re-programming I would have to do. I will give it some thought but please don't expect anything immediately.
Don't worry yourself over it. If it takes that kind of programming on your part, it isn't worth the trouble. Unless of course the demand is there. I know years ago when some friends and I had a forum for a while, we only had the options that were given to us by the forum provider... can't even remember the name at the moment. So I didn't know if that was something that could simply be turned on, and the backbone would simply do the conversion for you.

Besides, the newer smart phones display full web-pages as they're meant to be displayed anyway, so I'm sure it's only a matter of time before "mobile" versions of pages become obsolete.

Definitely not a priority in my book. :thumbsup2:

Just curious...

Is there a "mobile" version of the forums? I have a Blackberry Curve that I use through work, and it has the full data package. I think it'd be cool to be able to post to the forums while on a road trip, without having to have a laptop along. I can pull up the site on the Blackberry, either through the proprietary browser, or Opera Mini, but gah does it look terrible. Of course it's due to the browsers trying to force it into a mobile format.

Wasn't sure if there was a compatible mobile version of the site or not. Maybe just wishful thinking. :hihi:

Maybe it's just how your browser is set up, but Opera Mini works great on my BlackBerry. Most of the time I read & post from it. Everything looks the way it should. Some web sites look better than others, but, for the most part, they look pretty good on my BB. The browser that comes with the BB is not very good.

Frogman and I have the Motorola q9c. I can read and post using this smartphone. Can also see the small pics on the posts. Posted my first private message last night it is different as far as the setup, harder to do with the phone but you can. My phone has windows mobile 6.1.

Don, I remember saying something about that a while ago? *lol* (about Mobile friendly) *lol*

Yeah, I bet it would be a lot of programing involved.

I did however find if I changed my settings for this site to ONE COLUMN only

I could see more stuff to access. But I am using the HTC Mogel Windows based phone

though.

Jeff

I am seeing a lot of forums that have an option in the view to switch to mobile. PPCgeeks.com ins one of them. Scroll to the bottom and in the left there is a menu with "Marvel2". Mobile can be selected from there.

I am not a web programmer, but I would think that vBulletin would have implemented this sort of thing in the software by now. If not, they really need to think of it, since it seems to be the way things are going.

FWIW, if you have a Pocket PC (not sure about smart phones with WM) or a nokia, Skyfire is an excellent browser. It is lower on resources than Opera (you know the fat lady always sings so any software with that name has to be heavy) and has the dynamic zooming and display of the up and coming deepfish stuff that MS is behind the times on. It works a lot like Opera mini (which s a good opera, strangely) on a java platform, and you dont need a java emulator.

Any browser you get, it is still a pain to look at full size web sites on a 320x240 screen. :think:

+1 for Opera Mini for BlackBerry -- the VR site works just fine for both reading and posting.

You can do an OTA install on your BB by going to http://mini.opera.com using your BB default Web browser. Best of all: it's free!

OTA install means what ?

I followed a link on my BB to the site and it was horrible, couldnt read a thing or navigate

Brad