IGNORED

Big brother has a long memory

royalstarjac

This is just a heads up for anyone needing to renew or add any endorsements their driver’s license.

The wife went into the GA DDS (DMV) to take her motorcycle permit test. She passed with flying colors. Great, right! Well, when they went to add the endorsement to her license, something popped up on the computer. NY had placed a hold on her license! They not only said they couldn’t add the endorsement but that her GA license would be suspended until she got the hold removed by NY State!

Here’s the kicker, we haven’t lived in NY since 1981 and she never had a driver’s license there, only a permit and never had any tickets or violations!

After wading through the bureaucracy we found out the hold was for an “unsatisfied judgment” from an accident in 1978. Apparently we were sued for an accident we were in and never received the summons to court since we moved several times during those years. It’s been a month since this happened and we’re still trying to get this straightened out from 1,000 miles away. Meanwhile the wife is stranded with no license out in the middle of nowhere (we live in the country). I guess I don’t have to tell you how that is going over!

In light of her problems, I decided to check with NY and see what they had on me. Lo and behold the have a hold placed on me also for the same issue as my wife. They also have me down for “failure to answer a summons" for a speeding ticket in Livingston Co. NY in 1981. When I checked with them, they had to dig through some old boxes and found the ticket 68 mph in a 55 mph zone. The hell of it is is that I went to court as scheduled and paid the ticket so someone either didn’t do their job or the pocketed the money!

I can either plead innocent and travel 1,000 miles for trial or fax in a guilty plea and pay the fine. Guess which one I chose!

Who knows how long this will take to get straightened out. The only good thing is that my wife doesn’t work so we aren’t suffering financially from this.

We both renewed our DL’s two years ago so I know this data sharing between NY and GA is something new. My assumption is that it is probably something to do with Homeland Security and the push for a national driver’s license and ID.

My advice is that if anyone may have similar issues, to check it out before time to renew your license so you have time to straighten it out before your suspended and possibly lose your livelihood. Also, check it out with the state you USED TO live in like I did. If you check it with your current issuing state and they find something you’ll be in the same boat as my wife.

Sorry about the book but this can’t be explained in one paragraph.-Jack

Hope you get iit straightened out!!! Sounds like a bunch of BS!!!

Here is something that happened to me:

My house burned down in 2006. We lost EVERYTHING....wallet, keys, all belongings...House and everything in it burned compeltely down. We were asleep and the house caught fire late at night and we had to run out quickly. All my wife and I had left was a pair of sweat pants that we grabbed on the way out. A day or 2 later, I went to try and get my drivers license replaced. Well guess what? I had to have a birth certificate to get my drivers license replaced. And guess what I needed to get a birth certificate?....You guessed it....a drivers license or some other form of official ID!! I didn't have ANYTHING! Luckly, my mother had a copy of my birth certificate that I was able to get and I was finally able to get my drivers license replaced

My advice is that if anyone may have similar issues, to check it out before time to renew your license so you have time to straighten it out before your suspended and possibly lose your livelihood. Also, check it out with the state you USED TO live in like I did. If you check it with your current issuing state and they find something you’ll be in the same boat as my wife.

What a bunch of BS. That was 27 years ago....

What ever happened to the statute of limitations....

I think the hold was placed because of the unanswered summons to the suit, not because of the 8mph over the limit. Having been on the other side of the situation with someone damaging me and then leaving town to parts unknown leaving me stuck with the bills and the pain, I find it hard to sympathize...... 27 years does seem like a long time, but my knee still hurts with the weather.....and it's been longer than that. If I had a way to find them..I would. There is no statute of limitations on civil responsibility.:backinmyday:

I was working out of state for 3 yrs. When I returned to ca I was helping a friend move and a cop stopped for a routine check. San Diego had a warrant out for me over a fix-it ticket from 5 yrs earlier. First time I ever went to jail. I had junked the truck and mailed in the receipt with the ticket. I had to go back to San Diego to get it straightened out (7 hr drive from where I lived). They had the receipt when I went to court the case was dismissed. Rod

Guest alicia21
This is just a heads up for anyone needing to renew or add any endorsements their driver’s license.

The wife went into the GA DDS (DMV) to take her motorcycle permit test. She passed with flying colors. Great, right! Well, when they went to add the endorsement to her license, something popped up on the computer. NY had placed a hold on her license! They not only said they couldn’t add the endorsement but that her GA license would be suspended until she got the hold removed by NY State!

Here’s the kicker, we haven’t lived in NY since 1981 and she never had a driver’s license there, only a permit and never had any tickets or violations!

After wading through the bureaucracy we found out the hold was for an “unsatisfied judgment” from an accident in 1978. Apparently we were sued for an accident we were in and never received the summons to court since we moved several times during those years. It’s been a month since this happened and we’re still trying to get this straightened out from 1,000 miles away. Meanwhile the wife is stranded with no license out in the middle of nowhere (we live in the country). I guess I don’t have to tell you how that is going over!

In light of her problems, I decided to check with NY and see what they had on me. Lo and behold the have a hold placed on me also for the same issue as my wife. They also have me down for “failure to answer a summons" for a speeding ticket in Livingston Co. NY in 1981. When I checked with them, they had to dig through some old boxes and found the ticket 68 mph in a 55 mph zone. The hell of it is is that I went to court as scheduled and paid the ticket so someone either didn’t do their job or the pocketed the money!

I can either plead innocent and travel 1,000 miles for trial or fax in a guilty plea and pay the fine. Guess which one I chose!

Who knows how long this will take to get straightened out. The only good thing is that my wife doesn’t work so we aren’t suffering financially from this.

We both renewed our DL’s two years ago so I know this data sharing between NY and GA is something new. My assumption is that it is probably something to do with Homeland Security and the push for a national driver’s license and ID.

great article. I will bookmark this:draming: