IGNORED

new bike needed..thinking a about a road glide

davepa

Still looking to replace my wrecked VR (last June)

I have a question but would not like to turn this into a BASHING thread !...so, has anyone here sold an RSV and purchased a HD Road Glide?

I like the fixed fairing bikes better than the bar mount fairings IMO.

And your thoughts are??

I rode a screaming eagle road glide last summer with my bride on the back. Within a half hour of back road 25 mph cruising, she couldn't take the heat on her right leg to the point she had to put her leg up on mine. Other than that I liked it just fine.

I rode a screaming eagle road glide last summer with my bride on the back. Within a half hour of back road 25 mph cruising, she couldn't take the heat on her right leg to the point she had to put her leg up on mine. Other than that I liked it just fine.

Thanks John that is what I am after...facts

Not a personal evaluation, but one from a buddy. He bought a new 08 HD Ultra last year. We took a trip to the Smokies in June. His wife was complaining about the heat on her by the second day.

He traded the bike for a 09 Ultra and she said they'd rerouted the pipes and it was better. Again not my experience, just a note from a buddy.

Guest tx2sturgis
I rode a screaming eagle road glide last summer with my bride on the back. Within a half hour of back road 25 mph cruising, she couldn't take the heat on her right leg to the point she had to put her leg up on mine.

Damn son. And your complaining?

:whistling:

I had a 81 goldwing before I bought my venture I had a hard time deciding between a HD and the venture. Then I road my friends classic for about 20 miles I got off it and my hands and feet itched from the vibration. Make sure to ride one if you can its not as smooth as the RSV also on another ride we got stuck in traffic and he had to shut down because he was over heating. He has also broke a drive belt twice on long rides causing some overnight stays to get the belt replaced.:2cents:

Guest tx2sturgis

All the new touring Harleys are nice. I have a bud who has a RoadGlide and he loves it. I test rode one and found the wind protection was not as good as on my Ultra or my Venture, since the windscreen and fairing are a bit farther forward. They dont come with lowers, or a trunk, so unless you add those, you should consider it a warm weather bike. Of course you can always add the lowers, heated grips, even a heated seat. The road glides handle very well, especially since The Motor Company beefed up the touring frames on the FL's.

Not everyone appreciates Harleys. I do, but I dont worship them as some fans do. To me, all motorcycles are transportation. Some are better in certain areas than others. They all will get you around, and the new Harleys are very reliable. Although, after about 40,000 miles they start to cost money to keep on the road. It just depends on what you want in a bike.

See that you live in PA.? Well, that's just freeking great. Now here's what you should do:

- - - http://www.visitjohnstownpa.com/thunderinthevalley?Go to Thunder in the valley and stay for 2 or 3 days. Get you butt up early every morning and go test-ride at the Harley tent. Ride that damn thing two times a day for 2 or 3 days and make your own decision.

- - - Iffin by chance you want to do it cheap, then take your camp stuff and camp over on Ohio street about 3 or 4 blocks up the hill at the baseball fields. I forget the name of the the fire department that runs the campground but that won't be hard to find out. Let me kno iffin you ne moe info cause I've got it written down on paper somewhere. It's right in town and charges about 20 bucks a night with HOT showers, music and beer.

Vinni Daniels!

Edited by LSUBOY

See that you live in PA.? Well, that's just freeking great. Now here's what you should do:

- - - http://www.visitjohnstownpa.com/thunderinthevalley?Go to Thunder in the valley and stay for 2 or 3 days. Get you butt up early every morning and go test-ride at the Harley tent. Ride that damn thing two times a day for 2 or 3 days and make your own decision.

- - - Iffin by chance you want to do it cheap, then take your camp stuff and camp over on Ohio street about 3 or 4 blocks up the hill at the baseball fields. I forget the name of the the fire department that runs the campground but that won't be hard to find out. Let me kno iffin you ne moe info cause I've got it written down on paper somewhere. It's right in town and charges about 20 bucks a night with HOT showers, music and beer.

Vinni Daniels!

Yep 48 Miles from me Thunder Valley

personally i prefer my 1st gen, but a friend of mine has a road glide he let me ride.

All I can say is sweet. Never liked Harleys before but that bike at the wright price could almost persued me.

David

How did the handling compare between the VR and RG and did the fairing compare to your VR as to wind protection?

...remember no bash please ...just facts

I knew you had the 87, was just reporting the facts as you know well, wasn't bashing. I only do that to Squid, Yammer, Snarley, etc.

Dan

Edited by Dano

Wife & I test rode an '09 Ultra a couple times. We both liked it. Only time it vibrated noticeably was at idle. Was very smooth at highway speed... very nimble at low speed. Very little wind. I would have bought one if I had the bucks.

I like the '06 RSMV that I did buy but the Ultra still turns my crank.

In 2005 my wife and I rented a Road Glide in Phoenix and spent 5 days on it riding a loop up to the Grand Canyon. As has been said, the pipes are hot. It was rough at idle but smoothed out nicely once you started moving. It was underpowered riding 2 up with the bags loaded but it did handle very well. A new one with the bigger motor and rerouted pipes would probably be better. Our main complaint with it was the lack of passenger space. My wife is fairly petite and there was very little room between us. She found that uncomfortable because she had to spread her legs wider because she sat so close to me.

DT

Still looking to replace my wrecked VR (last June)

I have a question but would not like to turn this into a BASHING thread !...so, has anyone here sold an RSV and purchased a HD Road Glide?

I like the fixed fairing bikes better than the bar mount fairings IMO.

And your thoughts are??

I best friend and riding partner has an 06. He has owned and road all kinds HD. Loves this one the best.

If I EVER did go after a Harley, it would be the road glide.

I have a friend who shared many a mile together with and he rides a road glide.

His road glide is a dang good running and looking bike, very dependable, doesnt leak any oil, and the sound system is more than up to par..

The only thing of concern I have seen, and effects all road glides, is the right hand side forward amber marker lens located on the right hand side frame that comes down from the tripple tree in front of, and back under, the engine.

The plastic marker light lens has a tendency to "MELT" from the heat off the exhaust pipe that comes out of the right side forwad jug.

There is about 1/2 inch of spacing between the two parts and every road glide I have looked at, the corner of this marker lens has been melted and bubbled up.

From what I heard, (hear say only), HD is supposed to come out with a recall on this to add a small heat shield on the backside of the lens housing...

test rode the ultra and found 1st gear had a wine and 6th had vibration then rode a classic same frame and drivetrain and loved it no noise or vib. then rode the next one down with the same frame, and drive train and the vibration was nuts. If you buy one make sure that you ride the one you will buy . These all were 09 At the come ride event. so you think they should be in top notch shape .Have fun shopping. PS Idecided on the 09 RSV.:080402gudl_prv:

Guest tx2sturgis
.... My wife is fairly petite and there was very little room between us. She found that uncomfortable because she had to spread her legs wider because she sat so close to me.

DT

But it was comfy for YOU, right? Yall are killin me here. Riding 2-up is all about being physically close. When my current gal rides the Venture with me, she says shes too far away!...when she rides the Ultra with me, she loves it cuz were all snuggly close.