IGNORED

Just bought 86 Venture...Need help please !!

Hello guys

I just bought an '86 VXZ13 DSC from a guy from southern Cal last fall. Now I get to repaint, refurbish and restore it. It's a great bike, 28K miles, everything works and it handles like they knew what they were doing when they put it together. Progressive springs in the front, and new Avon Venoms. I'm getting psyched about this summer.

Now for my problems... Like I said, I bought it from a guy in California. I live in God's country ( Colorado ) at about 6500 feet. I want to get rid of all that crap they put on it in california for their damn government. What I want to know, if anyone has the info or knows where to get the info, is what I can get rid of and change so I can go over the Rocky Mtns with a little power. It runs extremely rich right now. Jets, floats, needles and

slides....anything that will give me a little more omph and better my gas mileage. Right now, I'm probably getting 23-28 miles a gallon in the city ( haven't been on a long trip yet ) Any help would be greatly appreciated. BTW, I have a set of carb synchronizers if anyone near Denver needs to get their carbs synch'ed. Thanks

Ken

Take a look first and make sure it is has a "C" on the end of the model. With the miles on the bike, I would be pretty sure it is. I have 2 1986 Federal Models if you need any comparisons. Some of the other folks on here can probably answer the differences better than I. Also, make sure that everything is up to snuff before you change anything based on the emissions.

JB

"It runs extremely rich right now."

You may have checked the intake filter, if not do so.

While you are there check to see that the slides are all moving. they should all flutter at idle.

you should also check the diaphragms on the slides.

Fred

Lonestar

Yep, it's a cali bike, title says XVZ13DSC . I checked all the simple things and replaced the air filter, put about 3 cans of sea foam through the tank and synched the carbs. I may need to fiddle with the fuel jet screws. I' may need to replace the diaphrams as they seem to be wearing out, btw, if anybody knows where to get a new set cheap... but as of right now they don't leak. If anybody knows a good starting point for the jets and float level at altitude or any other tips. I know this is a lot heavier bike than anything I've ever had but my car gets better gas mileage right now. I do like to go fast, but I also like to save money...

"Ya gotta love this website, and the members are so friendly"

correct setting is 2 1/8 to 2 1/4 turns. That info is not in the service manual.

You might want to remove those jets, carefully with liquid wrench, so the threads don't strip. Clean and reinstall to the above setting.

Take note of where they were set. If the Lead Seals are in place, they have not been touched. ( unless a dealer re installed the seals )

There's a guy on eBay that sells 4 rubber pieces only. You put them on the slide. He has sold a bunch since he started this year. About $100 a set. I am going to get a set myself. Looks like a good alternative. If anything, a Cali. model should be a bit leaner. I bet on gunked carb jets and bad rubber. Possibly bad needle/seat.

JB

I have read several places that plastidip, the stuff used to coat handles on pliers, is good for repairing carb diaphragms. I haven't had the need to do it my self, but the stuff is only about 5-10 bucks and comes in a variety of colors! Someone else suggested "liquid electrical tape". Personal experience is not mine, but I would certainly try the $10 method before the $100 method or buying the slides new for $300. What do you have to loose? :hihi:

I do not know what stuff was added to the California Venture. However, I owned a California model ZX11D1 Ninja (1993) and can tell you a little about it;

The primary emissions add-on was a fuel vapor recovery system (a filter can and a bunch of hoses). There should be a stick-on label somewhere showing the routing of the hoses for your system. This system did not hinder the performance except add a little weight. I removed the can and rerouted the vacuum hoses to 49 state spec. This cleaned up the bird's nest of stuff and open up a little storage under the seat on my Ninja. Now I have a place for my security lock & cable.

Gary

It does have a little ( 2" diameter x 5-6" long ) cannister on the left side of the engine that I think would be a vapor cannister or something like that. It's right between the two cylinders, right between the "V" of the cylinders. Are there other things I can get rid of?

Thanks for the thinks

ken