IGNORED

Buying a new Tire

BradT

Curious where the best place to pick up a tire would be. I believe there is many that order the tires on line and have them shipped to you door.

I was looking for a rear tire for the 1999 but I would like white walls. Any suggestion on a brand. The Dunlop 404 was the one that I had a problem with, not saying I would not purchase another.

Brad

Dunlop does make the narrower front tire - the size is 130/90.

Personally, I'd suggest the Avon Venoms purchased through Southwest Moto Tires in Tucson AZ. Best prices you are likely to find (they include shipping free if ordering two tires). If they don't ship to that funny land up north, I'd bet you can find a member here that is within striking distance of the border that would take delivery for you and wait for you to come pick them up. The narrow front tire in the Avon Venom is an MT90, and they also have white walls. I'd say mount 'em here and ride 'em back. If you want to come all the way to Texass I'll do it for ya. Good luck,

Goose

Dunlop does make the narrower front tire - the size is 130/90.

Personally, I'd suggest the Avon Venoms purchased through Southwest Moto Tires in Tucson AZ. Best prices you are likely to find (they include shipping free if ordering two tires). If they don't ship to that funny land up north, I'd bet you can find a member here that is within striking distance of the border that would take delivery for you and wait for you to come pick them up. The narrow front tire in the Avon Venom is an MT90, and they also have white walls. I'd say mount 'em here and ride 'em back. If you want to come all the way to Texass I'll do it for ya. Good luck,

Goose

Being a tire guy I pay lots of attention to loads. I dont want to change both now and to tell you the truth Im really not an avon fan as a company. Now the problem. the original front tire is load rated at 744lb. the narrower one in the dunlop is 638 I think. The bike is 825 dry so running two up you have to be about 1150. Avon is in the narrower one 375 Kg which if Im doing it right translates to 835?. Is the narrower front in the Dunlop safe on a bike that big?

Each tire has a load rating. Your manual specified the minimum appropriate load rating for each tire. I would not go below that, no matter what the tire size. I believe the Venom MT90 is over the stock rating, but I don't know about any other tire. No reason to buy Avon's if you don't like them; there are lots of tire options out there.

Goose

I just put the stock size Dulop 404 WWW on this spring and I like them. I love the look and hadling is just fine for me. No problems with stearing even in parking lots. I've heard about all the other brands and smaller sizes. I'm not sure about them. I like what I have. :080402gudl_prv:

Being a tire guy I pay lots of attention to loads. I dont want to change both now and to tell you the truth Im really not an avon fan as a company. Now the problem. the original front tire is load rated at 744lb. the narrower one in the dunlop is 638 I think. The bike is 825 dry so running two up you have to be about 1150. Avon is in the narrower one 375 Kg which if Im doing it right translates to 835?. Is the narrower front in the Dunlop safe on a bike that big?

375 kg is actually 826.7 lbs.

Also remember that the bike is 825 + or - but when you add the people they Centre of gravity for these people are not equally spaced therefore the load does not split equally on the rear and front tires.

Thanks goose that was my plan.

Brad

• 1 year later...

:sun:Love Dunlop 404HD for rear and 402HD for fronts. Good tread pattern for rain and snow. Ran them on my '84 Venture (it burned up in shop fire) and my '86 Goldwing (sold it, priced it high so he wouldn't buy, he bought it). Now I have Bigin's '89 Royale with Avon's, not sure of the tread pattern, rides smooth, but no rain as of yet.

Got good mileage's out of the Dunlop's.

Take care, ride safe and God bless the USA!

Gary C

just bought a pair of maxxis classic www for an 83 148 to my door (about 3days transit) and am very pleased with them from chapperal racing my dealer said they are cheaper than he pays at his cost and wishes he could buy there but they wont sell to dealers

http://www.chaparral-racing.com/Chaparral/assets/html/d_street.asp?mscssid=C3B9A2B3A3824A308DE6375041E68FB8&Gift=false&GiftID=&navId=d_street*0