I just got an 83 venture yesterday. so far after buring up the gas that was in and filling with 91 octane i got about 115 miles on this tank and the fuel is at the last bar. Its been missing and backfiring a little so i'm assume the carbs need a good cleaning and make sure they are all in sync. real question is about how far should you be able to get on a tank.

Hello Matt73ander,

On my 83 I can get around 170mi before refueling.Fuel gauge - last bar on my 83 I'll have at least 1 1/2 gal. or a little more left in the tank.Run some seafoam in the fuel system - whole can with fill up won't hurt the cycle and run the dog out of it some, these motors run best in higer rpm's.Goodluck with your new beast the 83's are the badest of all the Ventures.The meanest one belongs to YammerDan The BlueBeast.

Have fun and run it good,When I first got my bike I could only get 115-130 mi out of the bike, I went with seafoam on several tanks of fuel and ran the dog out of it now I can get around 170 maybe more but I play it safe.91 octane will do you no good stay with 89 octane and use seafoam every other fill up untill it runs smoother,tune your carbs - chk plugs - chk wires - may just need a good old fashion seafoam treatment.

buddy

I always thought you could get 140 miles before you run out at Highway speeds.

Better if you took it easy and slower back roads.

Try the seafoam for a couple of tanks, also I do not believe running 91 will improve your gas mileage much if any..

Brad

Guest Boss Hogg

Hmmmm.......I have a 87 and I get about 190 miles running highway speeds the higher octane fuel is not really a good choice for its better used in the higher compression ratio engines with the carbs clean on the inside (I have mine apart right now) and the carbs sync'ed it will run like a rocket and sipe the fuel. Seafoam works good but read the directions for it can gel

Hmmmm.......I have a 87 and I get about 190 miles running highway speeds the higher octane fuel is not really a good choice for its better used in the higher compression ratio engines with the carbs clean on the inside (I have mine apart right now) and the carbs sync'ed it will run like a rocket and sipe the fuel. Seafoam works good but read the directions for it can gel

I get 29 to 30 mpg if I drive in the city, the highway , fast, slow or I think, even if I have it on a trailer.

Dick

The disparity in gas mileage that people get never ceases to amaze me. Just when I start despairing that I have the worst-milage Venture on the planet, I read one like yours, Dick, and then I feel better! :)

I average around 35 in mixed driving, and averaged 25 on my hot trip across the desert 2-up running 80 plus. I've seen 40 twice. Under normal circumstances my gage goes to red around 140.

Jeremy

I've been getting 34 on my '83, but it likes to run at 80mph if I will let it. Definately use the SeaFoam. My bike sat for 10 years and I drained the gas put in a can of SeaFoam, fresh gas, and it fired right up.

Guest Boss Hogg

I don't understand the big milage difference,I sync my carbs at least once a month thats why I have the #2 carb off now and replaceing the float seat it was acting up causing the others to follow and running rich

Since this forum is where I first heard of Seafoam - I will explain in case you are also a Seafoam virgin.

Seafoam is a gas treatment that cleans out a fuel system. It is recommended to run fairly low concentrations, but all seem to have better luck putting a whole can into a tank of gas. No harm will become of the rock-solid V4.

You can get Seafoam at NAPA and most other auto parts stores. It is a few dollars a can. Good stuff.

Welcome to the club. Enjoy your new ride. Just be prepared to break out your wallet - you will hear discussions of things you didn't even know were essential to have.

RR

I just filled up toaday and checked mileage and it looks like i'm doing alright around 35 but i do need to run some sea foam through it thats for sure. i'll riding it as a daily driver and since the wife say she's alot more comfortable than she was on the 84 shadow, surprise surprise, i'll take the bike over the car and day for road trips to. thanks for all the info.

Guest timshosvt

Two trips to work and I have been using 3.5-3.87 gallons at 156 miles....around 40 mpg going from around 1100 feet to 2000 feet on I-80 (pretty flat) with 24 miles of 30-40 mph and the remainder at 70-72 mph.

My carbs were out of synchronization and my mileage dropped to 30. I don't know much about carbs, but fuel consumption seems to be sensitive to the carbs being in synch, though there could have been other factors such as 18 wheelers, wind and temperature when the mileage dropped.

"I don't understand the big milage difference,I sync my carbs at least once a month "

Once a month?!?!?! Wow, I don't even come close, but whatever you're doing, keep it up as it sounds like you're getting exceptional milage. I did just sync mine, though, and my first tankful yielded 34mpg.

Jeremy

I get 140 to 160 miles before the red light stays solid. Some tanks average 40 mpg, others about 36 mpg. 80 mph usually drops my mileage. The manual says capacity is about 5 gallons, but I've never been able to put more than 4.3 or 4.4 gallons in. I've been riding with some slower riders (all right, they're scooters) so at 40-50 mph I get 40 mpg (or 39 or 38). Worst was expressway speed all day, fighting a 40 mph cross wind- 28 mph. I didn't plan for that, but there were a lot of fuel stops.

I have an 83 and if I am able to stay below 3000rpms I will get mid to upper 30's other wise its 30-31. I just figure the fun factor costs me 4-6 mpg. I did just get it back from the shop with a brand new pair of Dunlops and boy does it handle soo much better......must be like getting a new pair of shoes when I was a Child.