IGNORED

US Airway plane in Hudson River....

mini-muffin

Got a few friends who are rescue divers with FDNY and are working there now. I'm sure there will be some good stories over a few beers this weekend.

Also, NY Waterway ferries once AGAIN come through. They were the insung heroes on 9/11, ferrying thousands of people across to NJ.

One of the Captains who worked with my wife on her ferry has been there for a few years, don't know if he's there though.

Amazing to see those people standing on the wings waiting.

Geese..yeah Flock big enough to show up on radar. Engines ingested a sufficient number to stop and/or damage them. They're designed to survive bird ingestion, but too much of a bad thing is...well.... a bad thing!!!! Pilot did a jam-up job. On top of it all.....he put that sucker down almost right in front of the ferry terminal. There were more boats available than you could shake a stick at!!! Nicely done.

Youtube video of dead birds being shot into a jet turbine engine. I think they said that some of them were up to 8 lbs.

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y2OS2pwrZTI]YouTube - BIRD VS. JET ENGINE (In Super-Slow-Motion)[/ame]

I wonder how an old fashioned and less efficient radial would have fared?

Several years ago I worked for a company that was based out of Fort Wayne, IN as the Quality Manager, even tho I lived in Tennessee. I flew a lot back and forth on the company airplane.

One afternoon we were loading up and I noticed another plane, about a six pasenger, loading up also. We taxied out before them and took off and they took off about 10 to 15 minutes later on the same runway. At less than 1,000 feet they flew into a flock of geese with several coming in thru the windshield. They ended up crashing and I believe 3 or 4 were killed.

RandyA

The picture on the safety placard that shows the plane floating was always a joke to me. :D

Actually it is a joke. This is the first time that a jet aircraft has successfully ditched without breaking apart on impact. The last time any large passenger aircraft successfully ditched was a DC6 and that was done between two destroyers out to sea. The aircraft sank within 5 minutes. If I remember right that was in the 1950's.

I heard in the news that the US Airways aircraft was an Airbus and in this particular plane, it has an 'auto-ditch' system...(not sure of the term) so if the pilot activates this safety system...all air vents going in and out of the airplane will close making the airplane air tight and sealed. There is no doubt that the pilot made the emergency landing as smooth as possible preventing the aircraft from breaking apart.

Trully a miracle!

Found out a guy I knows kid was on the plane......he was sitting in the back and had water up to his neck.

Good kid, said he tried t make sure everyone got out before him and the Captain told him to leave so he did.

Don't know if I'd ever buy a lottery ticket after that. Looks like they used all their luck up.

In my mind the single biggest factor in the pilot making a successful situation out of this.............He's a glider pilot in his spare time. He knew exactly what to do with a plane that basically had no power. Secondary to that..Airbus evidently builds a helluva plane in the A320.