IGNORED

'Get My Bike back Tomorrow.

Yes...and FINALLY :).

I received a call today, at 5:50pm, informing me that my bike was ready for pickup. But they were closing at 6pm, so that left me with a wait for tomorrow. I can't wait to get my VR back, and I will touch back here right after I do.

Well, Nathan, you've got to admit that: "Your bike is ready but we close in ten minutes" is a lot better than "It'll be ready mannana"! :confused24: Good luck and I hope it really is right.

And keep that front wheel on the ground, at least until you have good feel for the bike! :rotfl:

Now you just need to get ready for the Vogel Rally next month!

And keep that front wheel on the ground, at least until you have good feel for the bike! :rotfl:

I wouldn't even know 'how' to raise that front wheel :). I think that it happened once before (about 15 or 16 years ago) by accident, and I don't really remember what my actions were. I think that I might have, inadvertently, popped the clutch while giving it too much gas. At any rate, it scared the bejeeves out of me.

.......................................................................................................

I picked my bike up, a little earlier this afternoon, and all seems well with it. Not one backfire; not one instance of power loss, and it just seems to be much smoother. I was reminded, again, as to how badly the carb had been gummed up, and it was explained that a great many parts were replaced within the carburetor. The serviceman advised me to bring it back in, after putting a couple of hundred miles on it, for readjustment (or before then, if I realized that the bike was running 'rich'. I don't know how to determine this, but am sure that someone here will enlighten me :)).

I took a ride out to Don's place, in Clarence NY, as I needed a pair of lightweight gloves. His place provided me with about a fifteen minute ride, each way (which is why I chose his outlet, as opposed to a closer one), and my bike seemed to do very well. Better, at least, than what was expected. I almost got clipped by a cager, though (utilizing a term, now, that I just recently learned :)) who was zipping through a parking lot. This guy was talking on his cellphone, and seemingly oblivious to practically everything else. It was all I could do to keep from dropping my bike, but it also taught me to be even MORE cautious & aware.

Weather permitting (it's been raining, as of late, and I don't much care for riding in the rain), I intend to do a little riding later on tonight. I think that I may ride up to Niagara Falls; stop and get a coffee at McDonalds, then ride back. I may even consider riding out Rt. 219. At any rate, I really want to put at least a FEW miles on my 'Red Stallion' tonight.

This guy was talking on his cellphone, and seemingly oblivious to practically everything else.

A common occurrence in this day and age. If there's anything we all learn as "bikers", that is the "art" of defensive driving. Anticipating what the other driver might do BEFORE they do it... watching for the "unexpected"... and the list goes on...

A while back there was a thread that had a lot of discussion about driving "distractions" and more specifically, using a cell phone while driving. Here's a prime example why NOT to drive, even in a parking lot (one of the worst places) while talking on the cell. Thankfully Nathan came out of this one unscathed and much wiser.

Ride safe and ride wise Nathan... it's good to have you aboard this site and up on your two wheels with a big smile on your face!

Thanks SilvrT.

And you are absolutely right: We have to be ever-observant, ever-expectant, and VERY defensive about our riding habits. It was a non-injurious (thank God) lesson that I learned, and one that I will never forget. I wish saftey & well-being to each and every one of you, and hope that your riding times bring as big a smile to your faces, as it does to mine.

One thing that I forgot to mention, is that my bike's temp needle still hovers (95% of the time) right before the white line, separating the green & red temp zones. I am constantly with my eyes on it, fearing that the needle may step into the red zone - indicating so type of problem. As I think on it, maybe I won't journey too far out, until after I have given it some more miles in the city (even though I hate city riding). There are no leaks, though, or anything like that.

One thing that I forgot to mention, is that my bike's temp needle still hovers (95% of the time) right before the white line, separating the green & red temp zones. I am constantly with my eyes on it, fearing that the needle may step into the red zone - indicating so type of problem. As I think on it, maybe I won't journey too far out, until after I have given it some more miles in the city (even though I hate city riding). There are no leaks, though, or anything like that.

My '85 was like that most of the time (I had it for 5 years). There's a few things that might help... change the coolant out and put in something like "Water Wetter" http://www.redlineoil.com/products_coolant.asp and change the thermostat. There's an "auto" thermostat that seems to work better (and is much cheaper than Yamaha's). I've got this in my '87 and it hasn't gotten up to that "zone" on the gauge yet and it sometimes did before I changed the thermostat. Now, unfortunately, I've forgotten what that part number is but I'll find it for you.

Regarding the temp issue, it could be a funny reading on your gage, but you don't want to stake your engine on that. Does the fan run? It's obvious when it does; you can hear and feel it. Mine runs at halfway most of the time, and the fan comes on at 5/8 to 3/4, still below the red. You may need to take that issue up with the dealer as well. If coolant level is good, it may need a new thermostat. I hear that water pump impellers can go bad as well.

Jeremy

Hi,

the Temp-Issue might not be an Issue at all....

I read here, some Weeks ago, a Thread in which someone mentioned that Yammi did some Work on the Guage of the early Models, just because a Lot of Owners were worried about the high Temps displayed... They worked it out when changing something on the Guage, so the Needle elevates no more at that Level near the red Line..... the Cooling System wasn't changed.

Anyways, if the Fan kicks in sometimes, it shouldn't be a Problem. Just keep your Eye on that and hear what's happening.

Just enjoy your Ride and keep, at least, one Wheel on the Road.

The early 1st gens, indeed have high reading guages, due to calibration issues. Actually, the temps are lower outside the city, as the bike is getting air, not sitting waiting for traffic lights & other traffic to move. Normally the fan only comes on when stuck in traffic.

here it is... NAPA # 156 thermostat

Thanks much. I'll look into getting that, possibly, tomorrow. I just got back from taking my 'Red Stallion' out for a ride. Though I don't like riding in the rain, I sure ventured out into it :). I only put about 40 miles on the bike and, despite the wetness (it wasn't really raining hard), I had a real fun time doing it. I can't wait until it really clears up, so that I can feel better about venturing out much further - into some real pretty country land.

My throttle (on occasion) seemed to briefly stick, and I think that it might have been caused by my inadvertently hitting the mechanical cruise control lever. I am seriously thinking about taking that thing off, anyway. The cruise control would be a nice feature, if it were electronic. But having no 'Auto-Disabling' whenever the braking system was applied (with the mechanical design of mine) could lead to a very problematic, and (quite possibly) injurious situation. Though I have never intentionally utilized it, this thing would have to be manually disengaged , and - in a really tight moment - there may not be time to think about that. I don't know.....I just see it as a potentially damaging problem. Anyway, I am hoping that this device was the reason for that sticking throttle.

Regarding the temp issue, it could be a funny reading on your gage, but you don't want to stake your engine on that. Does the fan run? It's obvious when it does; you can hear and feel it. Mine runs at halfway most of the time, and the fan comes on at 5/8 to 3/4, still below the red. You may need to take that issue up with the dealer as well. If coolant level is good, it may need a new thermostat. I hear that water pump impellers can go bad as well.

Jeremy

Yes, I can hear the fan kicking it, on occasion. Another thing I noticed is this: While out riding, tonight, that issue was not experienced. But then, it was also cooler, so the hotter temperature of our earlier day may have contributed quite a bit to the previously mentioned 'needle-rising'.

OK if the fan is cycling, then the sensor is working reasonably OK. The fact that the fan is cycling means that the temp is staying within normal operating ranges. If the fan was constantly on then I would be more worried.

You probably should flush your cooling system and refill with fresh coolant. Just make sure whatever anti freeze you use is safe and reommended for aluminum engines. It should say so on the label somewhere...

Guest JGorom

Congrats on getting the bike back. I agree with what others have already said...might be a good time to have the radiator flushed and new coolant put in. As for gummed up carbs...get yourself some SeaFoam carb cleaner and start a regular plan of maintenance to prevent future problems from appearing. And lastly...enjoy that ride and the rest of the short summer we have here in Western New York!

Nathan...Hope you can make it to Bongo Bobs meet & greet cook-out on the 28th. I see you live in Amhers...I live just North of Batavia, NY (Oakfield) and if you decide to go and want to hook up to ride down to his home or for a ride in general...just drop me an email.

Best regards.

Nathan...Hope you can make it to Bongo Bobs meet & greet cook-out on the 28th. I see you live in Amhers...I live just North of Batavia, NY (Oakfield) and if you decide to go and want to hook up to ride down to his home or for a ride in general...just drop me an email.

Best regards.

Hello J,

And thanks for the invite. If memory serves me correct, my wife (at work right now) has a very important engagement on that day. I will check with her, this evening, to see if it is so. If it indeed is, I will also learn the time-frame. If there is ANY way that I can make that, I would really love to, and will drop you an email on the matter.

Thanks again.

"Yes, I can hear the fan kicking it, on occasion. Another thing I noticed is this: While out riding, tonight, that issue was not experienced. But then, it was also cooler, so the hotter temperature of our earlier day may have contributed quite a bit to the previously mentioned 'needle-rising'."

When the fan kicked in in the daytime, was it in slow, stop-and-go situations? How hot was it outside? And have you noticed where the gage reads when the fan starts?

My Venture has the cruise control, but on my Virago I've had a throttle lock for years. I love it. Not as nice as cruise, of course, but a welcome respite for the hand on a long ride. I found that I got used to flicking the lever up with my thumb to release. Also, it will slip so if I forget to release it but just twist the throttle closed, that works too. It is a major suspect in your throttle binding, though. They need to be properly adjusted. For that matter, so do your throttle cables. You should have some play in the throttle, that is, you should be able to wiggle / twist the throttle 1/8 to 1/4 inch without actually opening the throttle. Check this at both steering limits as well. If too tight it can cause binding. Lube is also good. I like Dri-Slide for cables because it doesn't attract dirt and comes with a teeny-tiny tube that you can slip inside the cable. It's expensive for a little bottle but it lasts many years.

Jeremy

When the fan kicked in in the daytime, was it in slow, stop-and-go situations? How hot was it outside? And have you noticed where the gage reads when the fan starts?

Jeremy

Hey Jeremy,

I don't rightly remember what the present conditions were when the fan kicked in. Nor do I remember how often that it did. All that I DO remember is that it was rather warm outside. I will do better about making mental notes on the fan's operations, and post back with that.