IGNORED

CB can hear but not transmit

Jonesy,

Does the red "transmit" light on the audio head light? If it does, the radio is transmitting and you are not "passing" audio. You need to check connection and function of the mic.

If it does not light, then check the contacts on the PTT switch and ensure it is making good contact.

My .02...

Guest Ken8143

Another thing to consider - are the connections to the antenna good? A loose connection can give you fits. This is assuming that the transmit thingie on the CB shows it is actually transmitting. - Ken

Mine was doing the same thing.

I could hear, but could not talk....

Found out it was a broken pin in the connector cord from my helmet that plugs into the connector on the gas tank..

:thumbsup2:

Guest Chaos
...check the contacts on the PTT switch and ensure it is making good contact.

My .02...

I would put my money on the contacts for the PTT Switch. I know several people have had this problem including myself. Spray the contacts with a good electrical contact cleaner and you should be back in business.

Ok there are several things that can cause this. All of which have been mentioned here.

Easy way to check the MIC is to turn the IC up all the way and talk into it normally. If you hear yourself the MIC and associated wiring are good. If you hold the PTT switch down and the CB audio is NOT muted then the PTT switch contacts are corroded. Sometimes just working the switch will help.

If you suspect the PTT switch then try transmitting with the passengers PTT switch and see if the radio will work that way.

The red light stays on when the CB is on, what you are looking for is a TX icon that will come up on the screen of the audio head. It will actually be a TX to let you know you are transmitting. Again the red light only means the CB is on.

Did you check the mic by turning the IC up? It goes without saying that you have the helmet on when checking the mic.

There are only two main possibilities then.

1. Your MIC or associated wiring is bad. Is it a boom mic? If so then 2 is more likely the culprit. If it's one of those mics that are installed into the helmet then you might have a wire to the MIC broke I had that happen several times. That's why I switched to the boom mic.

2. A wire is busted in the patch cord.

IHad this problem a few weeks ago. I started checking the connections, whenthat didn't work I started looking at the pins, sure enough one was bent over to the side, luckily I was able to straighten it enough that it would function.:080402gudl_prv: wt

• 1 month later...

Well guess what guys, since my last post on this subject I've had my antenna replaced and the CB replaced again and it still doesn't work. Now they're waiting for another CB to try but Clarion says that they're back ordered.

The last time I was at the dealer they swapped out my defective CB for one in a customers bike and the problem followed the CB. Using my mic I could transmit from his bike to mine using his CB and when we put his CB into my bike I could transmit from my bike. But when my CB was in his bike it wouldn't transmit again.

The funny (peculiar) thing is that the replacement (refurbished) CB from Clarion did exactly the same thing. Bare in mind this is now the third or fourth replacement CB from Clarion. When my original problem occurred with the ERror message on the controller they kept swapping out components but the actual problem turned out to be a bad cable. So my original CB was actually Ok but it has long since been sent back to Clarion.

I figure I've put on about 1000 kms running back and forth to the dealers for this problem and it's not really their fault. They're doing everything in their power to get my bike fixed but dealing with Clarion and Yamaha is a real pain. I will be calling Yamaha to voice my concern and unhappiness. Not that, that will do much good but the dealer said the complaint it better coming from me than them.