IGNORED

Low sided the Venture on Ice

wizard

A buddy and I left Tehachapi for Kernville on a mild 50 degree day yesterday. We were on the lower creek road thru Caliente to avoid the ice on the higher mountain road called the Lions Tail. We came to a corner in the shadow of trees, when I saw the ice completely across the road. I was able to slow the bike, but as soon as I hit the ice, I went down. My buddy said I went down very gracefully...the bike and I slid about a hundred feet, on the ice. Not a scratch on me! No worn spots on my leathers and the only parts damaged on the bike was the front and rear crash bars. Both are ground down about 1/2 to 3/4 thru. They did the job they were supposed to do. Oh yea, the front lower shroud separated at the bottom when the crash bar bent rearward. It really was a E ticket ride sliding on the ice like that. A car full of kids stopped to watch us trying to pick the bike up on the ice, but did not try to help...I suppose just as well. It had to be quite a site! We ran into several other spots of black ice in the canyons, which really surprised me when it was so warm, but the locals were telling us that the winds which blow in the mornings helps to keep the ice in the shadows till early afternoon. Coming back late in the afternoon, we ran into freezing fog and wet roads, but thankfully no black ice. I gotta tell you though, we kept our speed low going into that canyon again.

Glad to hear you are OK, "that will tighten ya up a bit" Mine just fell over and the lower came apart, it broke the little keeper that the peg goes into ( to hold it all together ) So it is still like that, not gonna worry about it, some day I will get a grill cover from ( Wagner ) and then I`ll fix it.

Ride safe!!

Wizard, glad that you were not injured in that incident. I also almost went down on 'black ice' one cold morning riding to work. Same situation where some tall branches of trees shaded a portion of the road. I felt my front wheel slide as a slightly leaned to my right and thankfully my rear did not loose traction.

Hope you can get your bike fixed soon. Take care.