IGNORED

Stator Problem

Guest Tiggger

Guest Tiggger

Hi all,

I have a 89VR1300. I've replaced the stator 3 times in 6 months. all 3 times I've found it fried. This last time it lasted for about 6 hr's. Does anyone have any idea what would keep causing these to burn out? I'm purchasing them from Rick's Motorsports Electric. I can't see getting 3 bad one's in a row from them. Their parts have always been reliable. Is there something else on the bike that could be causing this issue? Please help I'm baffeled at this point.:confused24:

Not really all that good with numbers, but maybe you could tell us what you are running for lights etc. The other problem may be your battery, if it is losing it's charge your stator will have to work hard to keep up and so get itself fried. Measure the voltage of the battery before startup in the morning and then see how long it takes to get the battery up to 13.9 volts. Your battery should read minimum 12 volts before start up and it should only be a minute or two to get it back to 13.5 - 14.5 volts. If it doesn't give you 12 volts before start up, take the negative cable off over night and do another read. If the voltage is down below 12 have the battery tested or just replace it if it's over 2 years old.

Hi,

all good Advise was writen before.

Make sure that Wire is in the Crankshaft when replacing the next Stator. It's the Oil-Distributor to get the Stator cooled while the Engine's running.

After replacing, don't fool arround and go over to an Car Electrician.

They shall take a Look at all Voltages, AC and DC, and all Currents with an Oscilloscope. They will see what's going on and determine if there is something wrong in the Electrics of your Bike. If they find anything, good ... If they do not find anything, you could be able to blame the Supplier for those bad Stators ....

This Way you are sure that there is, or at least was, everthing OK with the Bike and do not have to have some Fears when riding ....

It's very annoying not to be sure if you can drive back Home right before getting out ...

Try GSResources website, the old Suzuki's were notorious for burning up

stators, they have a detailed troubleshooting procedure for isolating problems. I personally had a problem with my 82 GS, which would test fine but would consistantly burn up stators between 5-6 thousand miles, it turned out to be the regulator, even though it passed all the checks.

I would have to say that your reg/rec is the culprit, not the stator. Running to many lights or anything else that uses more than the 30 amps that the stator puts out will affect your battery and possibly, maybe, the regulator but it will do no harm to the stator as the stator puts out it's full amount of amperage at around 2500 rpm. What amperage is not used the reg/rec sends to ground.

I would say that one or more of the six diodes in the reg/rec is bad and letting the amps from the battery flow back into the stator and causing your problems. Follow the manuals directions on checking the diodes in the rectifier and I bet you will find your problem.

Dick

If you want a easy way to find a short, Run a compass along the wire.

it will point right to the short.

Biker Bob:

:080402gudl_prv:

I have GOT to know more about this BB - do you attach an ohm meter and run a low voltage current thru the wires to get the compass to work?

COncerning the problem this thread was started over:

I am not real fluent with the 89's but on the 83/84's drawing to much of an amp load did infact shorten the lives of many stators. Yamaha had a recall on those stators back then and it involved placing a small "bleed" holed bolt in the end of the crank and placing a splatter plate on the backside of the stator cover to spray oil over the stator - this worked great UNLESS you were prone to run lots of extra lights - then the stators would still get hot and burn down..

If I had your bike, besides doing a Regulator check, I would do an amp count and/or stick an amp probe on it and see what total draw is. If your running extra light, CD player, compressor running to much because of an air leak in your boingers ECT ECT - you CAN be literally burning up the stator from heat being produced from constant draw.. Another good point is to check your stator area and make sure any/all oil points are open so oil is getting to it to cool it. I highly doubt that the problem is getting high voltage (over charge) thru your regulator - because that would show up in bulb burn out first - remember, VOLTAGE is the pressure - amperage is the flow....

'Puc