IGNORED

Spammers

Freebird

OK...you are right. I did say that. Not really what I meant to say and I'm sorry about that. Doesn't change the facts though. I've already said that it would be done as a last resort and not something that want to do. We've been OK so far since the last changes that I made. If it comes down to it though, it will simply have to be done. I am not disputing that it may be the only choice for some people but I also know that it's a very low percentage of folks.

Just so you know Don, and i think this is the point kbran was making, I use alltel for my internet service provider.

They don't provide e-mail, my only choice is one of the other services you mentioned.

I do understand the problem though, i'm sure there is a solution out there.

None of my kids have internet service to their homes. They all have 'Free" accounts with gmail and yahoo. They access the internet from school, work, libraries, various free hotspots, my house, etc.

I don't use my ISP's email for anything... absolutely nothing, and I get 50 or more spams a day to it. Over the years, I've changed ISP's a lot. Until I got a "Free" account, I had to make sure everyone that had my email got the new one. Not hard with the contact list, but a pain trying to remember all the websites I had signed up at. Couldn't remember passwords and couldn't have them reset and comfirmed by email because I didn't have that address anymore! The "Free" address is 'forever'. No more changing. That's a good thing! I don't use the free service to hide. I use it because it works best for me.

The 'From' email address in regular spam messages means almost nothing. Most are spoofed anyway. Even looking into the headers may not help a lot. Some of that info can be rewritten and false. Usually just points back to a compromised server somewhere.

A list spammer is a little different. Can't just make up an email address if you have to respond to it. It can even be worthwhile to do human sign-up if its a large list. Get one member in and hit several thousand readers. Not much you can do about those accept delete them as they come.

Good luck, Don.

I was talking to my niece over the holidays. Part of her job is bat battling spybots and such.

She said she likes the "honey pot" (an invisible text field or check box).

She also uses the "3 second rule" ( if the form is returned in less than 3 sec, it was not done by a person)

You may already aware of this in which case I have wasted a bunch of 1s and 0s, if not it may give you an extra set of teeth....SICK EM!!

I believe I can get more info if you need.

Scotty