IGNORED

It doesn't pay to brag, so...

Tatonka

When I joined VentureRider.Org there weren't many entries in this section. I remember posting one about my XV920

http://www.venturerider.org/forum/showthread.php?p=204070#post204070

and now I have to eat crow and pay for my big mouth (Don, $25 dollar donation will be made today):

I can't just explain one case of dropsies, I have to admit to myriad cases this year. Between my two bikes, I only travelled about 13,000 miles in the states during 2008. I was only in the U.S. for a total of 3 months this year.

Here is a short synopsis I did for some friends:

Quote-

That motorcycle that looked so new in April is/has now:

been dropped 5 times resulting in a cracked saddle bag left,

scratches in the saddle bag right, twisted light bar and bent fog

light right, scratches in the windshield, dents and scratches in the

tank, bent engine guard rail right, bent saddle bag guard rail left,

deep scratch on the front fender, nicks and scratches on the rear

fender, bent brake lever right, bent clutch lever left, etc. Mostly

cosmetic (will buy two new saddle bags and bigger and better engine

guards).

covered in bug splatters, mud and blood (I tried to avoid that bird).

road grime and the dust and sand of all of the lands visited west of

the Mississippi.

Some statistics:

I rode the motorcycle everyday from Aug 14 to Sep 30 for a total of

48 days (plus two more days to DC).

We collected $515,000 on the Legacy Run this year.

I rode through 25 states on this trip and covered a total of 10,116

miles. The majority of those miles were on non-interstate roads and I

visted or camped in more national and state parks than I care to

think of. After Aug 29th (end of Convention), I held to my 5 day

camping, 2 day hotel (different hotel each day) rule. Spent 3 days on

a campground in Bishop, CA (due to heavy winds wih gusts up to 70

mph) and 3 days on a campground in South Dakota (base camp for rides

through the Black Hills, Badlands, Custer, Spearfish Canyon,

Rushmore, Crazy Horse and Devil's Tower, etc.), otherwise just

overnght camping.

No days off for relaxation, no long sleep ins (time to ride), no days

off sick.

After leaving Phoenix (4 days of 1-1/2 to 2 inch per day rains) on

Aug 29th, only had two nights of rain (one was a full blown storm

where I wound up sleeping in water that had gotten in the tent) up

until my arrival in DC today.

Unquote

No 1- happened just after crossing the Hoover Dam to the Nevada side. It was dark and after midnight and I had been running before a storm since Phoenix. I stopped at the Welcome Center to look for a hotel and as I was pulling out, a bunch of side by side lights came down the parking lot side I was planning to use to go to the exit. Thinking I was going in the wrong direction, I hit too much front brake while trying to do a quick U-turn and, yep,

dropped it on the right side downward on the 6% sloping parking lot. In falling off, I fell on my back and banged the back of my helmet on the asphalt. I had also watched the various videos, but with a fully packed Riggpack with toproll, tent, mat, camping gear, gas can, sleeping bag and two very full hardbags on a decline, I wasn't sure if I could get it up (add 14 hours in the saddle to that). A bunch of young adults quickly ran over from the approaching vehicles and helped me get the bike back upright. I got the right mirror back on, readjusted the brake fluid reservoir and was on my way for a full two miles when I had to make my first right turn since the accident. The right pipes dragged as I went around the corner and then fell off (right rear cylinder pipe and end pipe). I got the pipes back on but one of the two exhaust seals involved had a leak.

No. 2-

There were strong winds on Highway 395 between Bishop and Mammoth Lakes, with gusts up to a reported 70 mph. I was riding to Mammoth Lakes when a gust of wind knocked my magnetic map case off the gas tank. I slowed down and pulled onto the shoulder and stopped. As I was trying to put the kickstand down, a sudden gust of wind knocked me over with the motorcycle and she fell on her right side, banging my head on the ground. I didn't have any gear on her, so it was a snap to use the video method to get her back up. Scratches in the right hardbag this time.

No. 3-

Had left "Going to the Sun" and Glacier N.P. and visited the First Peoples Buffalo Jump State Park in Ulm Mt. It was already dark when I went up, so I didn't see the signs about road conditions and that the park was closed at dusk. It was a dirt road with gravel and lots of ruts and with very steep parts going to the top of the plateau. While I was up there, a storm came up quickly with high winds, lightening and thunder. I quickly put up my tent to have some shelter. It rained heavily most of the night with hail and sleet. On the next morning, I traveled down a very steep, slick and slippery hill. I managed to get down to the fairly level part and was chugging along at about 5 mph when I hit a sea of mud in a curve and went down on my right side again, banging my head on the ground. The bike was on my right ankle and I had to push it off with my left foot. I have a bad right knee and had to turn over to my left side in order to get up, leaving me coated in mud. The bike was even heavier with about 50 pounds of mud caked on it and in every crevice, but I managed to get it up in spite of the slippery conditions. If I had thought anyone would have been traveling the road, I would have waited for some help, but desperation made me get her up. The bike was covered in mud, with mud under the floorboards, in the linkage, in the engine guard, over the top of the hardbag and i was having trouble walking because of the weight of the mud hanging on my clothing and boots. Unfortunately (or maybe fortunately), the gas station just down the road didn't have a car wash so I couldn't ride through one. It rained afterwards though and I was able to ride through the rain and puddles.

No. 4-

Later as I was heading down Rt 3 towards Moore/MT, a police car came screaming past and pulled to the shoulder in front of me with flashing lights. I automatically pulled to the shoulder somewhat flustered and slid off the asphalt onto the gravel. Bike went down on the right side and I went onto my head again on the decline. The deputy and a passerby were kind enough to help me pick the bike up (imagine a biker and bike covered in mud, showing a paper tag and running straight pipes) and the right pipe had again left the bike. The deputy had been after someone else and was preparing to make a turn when I crashed and burned in front of him. He had to call his supervisor because he felt he was partially at fault for the accident. As I was making my statement with his supervisor, the deputy put my pipe back on and it held for the 4,089 miles to DC.

No 5-

After I left all of the good riding in South Dakota, I traveled down the side roads. I stopped to get gas at one station and one set of pumps were closed due to low gas in those tanks. I did a slow turn to the next set, failed to see the danger of the rubber bell hose and had my front tire slip out on the rubber hose like it was slick ice. Went down on my left side this time and didn't bump my head for once. Had to readjust left clutch reservoir this time so I could use the mirror. Noticed the sadle bag guard was bent, but didn't think much of it. Found out at the next gas stop that the hard bag was broken and the side piece was actually flapping in the wind. I had packing tape, so I was able to make a temporary fix.

I learned it happens a lot faster than you expect and that it really pays to wear a helmet.

I have to admit, I only got run off the road once this year.

Here is a map of my route:

http://maps.google.com/maps/ms?hl=en&ie=UTF8&msa=0&msid=111006677486544509451.0004590d21ce3cc7b7512&ll=41.112469,-100.546875&spn=28.397066,54.492188&z=4

Here are some pictures of my trip in 2 albums:

http://s342.photobucket.com/albums/o428/gypsy_moore/USA%20Tour%202008%20Part%201/?albumview=slideshow

http://s342.photobucket.com/albums/o428/gypsy_moore/USA%20Tour%202008%20Part%201/USA%20Tour%202008%20Part%202/?albumview=slideshow

Ride safe and ride with God.

Wow...what a journey! I laughed at your story just a little as I cringed each time you fell over.

Rotten luck and it sounds like you need some time off to patch things up a little before the next long run.

Nice that you werent hurt or anything and the bike is still useable...sort of.

Nice pics and thanks for sharing your story.

Glad you're safe so far. My head hurt reading about your head hitting the ground so much. Nice pics.

At least the deputy helped out after causing your spill.

You can keep the dropsy donation, you earned it.

You are blessed my friend. You got to make the trip and you survived!

I thank all of you for the nice comments and rating. You guys (includes gals of course) are a great family to be in.

tmodel mentioned something:

Quote-

"It is amazing that you were able to control your frustration level with all the mishaps." Unquote

There is no way I could have been frustrated on a bike riding through God's country and enjoying God's many wonders. Dropping it or having an accident and then being able to get back on and ride after a little fiddling is another blessing and experienced wonder. Meeting all the helpful and friendly folks on the road was definitely another.

I have so many positive stories from the road on this trip that even I sometimes tell myself that couldn't all have been true. From the couple who stopped in an van and offered to pick up gas for me after I ran out in the desert (I gave them $20 because I didn't want to leave the bike and they gave me a bottle of water) who then came back, gave me the can of gas and the change, but refused to accept any recompense for their troubles, to the campground owner who told me all of the restaurants and stores were already closed and then took me home to share dinner with his family. I talked to some great people, Americans and foreigners alike, and inbetween, I talked to God and His creatures.

We had a saying in Nam, "Almost only counts in horseshoes and hand grenades."

When I was on the way to Nam in 1968, my team was sent one week ahead of me. I had to wait until I turned 19 because they didn't want to send any more 18 year olds. I missed out on a lot of combat action in that one week.

I don't ever get frustrated because of accidents or delays. I know God has a plan for each and every one of us, so when something happens I hadn't planned on, I just say, "Thank you Lord!"

God bless our servicemen and women no matter where they serve.

God bless and keep safe. And folks, please don't stop counting those blessings