IGNORED

Driving light question

KAWoodworth

In my search for additional front lights I have YET to see any lights labeled as "Passing Lights"...........Everything I have seen indicates either "Fog Lamps" or "Driving Lights" on the box.

Go to Yamaha/Star and look for accessories to RSVs -- "Windshield". Or Google STR-4XY35-40-00. They call them Passing Lamps (not lights, but not driving lights or fog lamps).

Passing Lamps

The classic look. Lamp kit includes traditional-styled lamps with a remote, dash-mounted switch and all necessary wiring. Mounting hardware sold separately. (Dealer installation is recommended).

Go to Yamaha/Star and look for accessories to RSVs -- "Windshield". Or Google STR-4XY35-40-00. They call them Passing Lamps (not lights, but not driving lights or fog lamps).

Passing Lamps

The classic look. Lamp kit includes traditional-styled lamps with a remote, dash-mounted switch and all necessary wiring. Mounting hardware sold separately. (Dealer installation is recommended).

If these are passing lamps, why are they mounted higher up rather than down low?

Is the beam of these lights condusive to a passing lamp or a driving lamp? (I've not used them so have no idea)

Just because some "yokel" at Yamaha labels them as "Passing Lamps" does not necessarilly mean they aren't "Driving Lights".

Can we puhleeze get a clarification on this LOL

btw...I believe Harley calls them "running lights"...go figgure...now we have a 3rd name for them LOL

I guess it all boils down to the purchaser to determine what kind of lighting he wants for the scoot.....plus taking into consideration price,appearance,and ease of mounting.

I'm going with 2 sets on the front of my scoot. 1 set will be used only for daytime driving for added visibility. The 2nd set will be used for additional road illumination at night.

And I'll just stick with calling them all LIGHTS so no one can come along and p**s on my boots over terminology!:rotf:

Thanks guys for all your opinions. I think I have decided to just take my bike back to the dealer the next time I need an inspection since they inspected it when I bought it and there were no problems. I'm going to try and attach a picture of my bike to show the lights. Fogs on the bottom forks and driving/passing or what ever on the light bar.

Keep in mind that light mounting height is generally regulated in each state, and it differs by the type of light. Fog lights, which have a specific legal definition by type of lens and light pattern, are often regulated to be mounted lower that other lights. I often see 18" as the lowest permissible height for lights, but I really have no idea how much that is enforced. It seems to me the driving lights on the Honda Refrigerator engines, as well as the ones mounted under the bumpers on so may Japanese cars these days are lower than some of the laws allow, so maybe there is no worry? Personally, I don't want to increase the unsprung weight by mounting lights that low anyway, not to mention the additional wear and tear on the lights themselves from the constant bouncing. :2cents:

Goose

Thanks guys for all your opinions. I think I have decided to just take my bike back to the dealer the next time I need an inspection since they inspected it when I bought it and there were no problems. I'm going to try and attach a picture of my bike to show the lights. Fogs on the bottom forks and driving/passing or what ever on the light bar.

I'd like to see closeup pics of those to see how you mounted them.