IGNORED

Let's talk speakers again

I'm Coming from Audio Video background... thats what I do for living. As far as I know, (And Goose is right) if you have best speakers and average Amp, it will sound average, as well if you have best Amp, and average speakers, it will sound average. So thats name of the game. For our set up, best solution is to use speakers which are made for low power amp's.

There is only fey manufactures who are made that kind of speakers. One of them is Russound, Ratio speakers, http://www.russound.com/ratio.htm. They are water resistant ( Not water tide), For Bathrooms and showers installations, and they have 6" cone which can be tailored to fit Venture. Other Low power speakers can be found as higher end computer speakers, but something has to be done to protect-'em from weather.

Other High End speakers ( My Favorite) are Earthquake, http://www.earthquakesound.com/marine.htm But once again they are a bit pricey. Best model for our bikes is F.4 It will fit without any modifications. http://www.earthquakesound.com/focus_coaxials.htm Scroll down to see F4 Model.

I'm Happy with Stock Speakers, cuz most of the time I use helmet speakers, and thats a best solution for best sound quality. Amen.

Edited by stardbog

Yup, I "grew up" in the audio biz and I agree with most of Goose's points.

As far as Clarion, they have made some lower end stuff trying to capitalize on their name in the past. Mostly pretty solid unless that's changed in the last 3-4 years.

Size itself doesn't matter. I have a pair of B&W speakers at home that originally sold for about $4Gs and they have a tweeter and a 6" woofer. That's it. Before I let anyone listen to them I make them enter the room blind and listen to a few tunes then describe the speakers. No one ever gets it right! They think there are room sized monsters doing it or else a big subwoofer hidden somewhere. Actually had one guy search the room! Point being a well built small speaker can put a poorly built big speaker to shame.

As far as backing - if you have an open enclosure, the bass frequencies from the rear of the speaker can actually cancel out or neutralize those fromthe front. That's wy any good speakers are either sealed enclosures or use a "tuned" port. The port is tuned to make sure the bass from the rear of the speakers works in conjunction with - not opposed to those coming from the front. Due to this I'd guess the enclosures would make a noticeable improvement in our bikes.

Most manufacturers don't put a lot of effort into 4: or 4X6 speakers. It's usually 5.25s that get the attention. If you can find a way to make those fit as one of the posts suggests, you'll have mor options to find a quality product.

All that being said you'll want some quality power to drive them. That may ultimately be the biggest challenge on our bikes.

Due to all that - I again agree with Goose - I use the intercom!

These do help a lot,, helps push the sound back into your face :)

http://akamaipix.crutchfield.com/products/2007/696/h696B050311-fp.jpg

I am happy with my sound now.. I do have a 250 W amp in the trunk though.

Bass Blockers also have helped in my set-up , the problem with the boom

mat is you have to trim them and get creative on making them stay in place.

(notice how much better the sound is coming from the rear speakers?)

That is because there in-closed more in there pods, not like the fronts

were there is so much more open space. One other thing that I have noticed

with the sound is to make sure my music that is stored on my Zumo or IPOD

is copied at a higher KB or whatever you call it ~S~

(just my 2 cents worth)

Jeff

Hopefully Don won't mind if I thread jack here a little. I'm also interested in changing out my speakers but I also would like to get rid of the stock AM/FM and wondered what is available out here for the 04 RSV. Any suggestions. Cost is a factor.

Thanks